Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Java 3D visualization library?

Java 3D visualization library?

Rob McDonald

Can anyone recommend a 3D visualization library in Java?

I've done a lot of 2D work with Graphics2D, and do not like the idea
of continuing at that low level to 3D.

Ideally, I would like something with Matlab-like semantics and
capabilities.

I've found a bunch of scene-graph based libraries, but I think that is
the wrong tool for my job.

I also found www.javaview.de which looks like what I would want, but
their licensing is very bizarre. It appears they are marketing their
program, not their library. If I were to use their API to integrate
their capabilities with my program, I think every one of my users
would have to go to their web site to register the program. Even
though this appears to be free, I will not put my users through this.

I need an LGPL or BSD like license, which does not limit the
distribution of the resulting product. I am happy to contribute
library improvements back to the original project.

As long as I am making a wish-list, some capability to output high
quality vector graphics is a huge plus. I've used the VectorGraphics
library from FreeHep with much success.

Thanks for any suggestions,

Rob