Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > VHDL > unconstrained array in case..is

unconstrained array in case..is

Xin Xiao

What's the "technical" reason why it is not possible to write

case Signal is

with "Signal" being an unconstrained array?

Does this mean that you cannot write a generic entry if it is going to be
used in a "case..is" statement?

Mike Treseler

Xin Xiao wrote:
> What's the "technical" reason why it is not possible to write
> case Signal is
> with "Signal" being an unconstrained array?

How can I cover all the cases
without knowing how many there are?

> Does this mean that you cannot write a generic entry if it is going to
> be used in a "case..is" statement?

No. I could declare and use a subtype that matches the
width of a port or generic. For example:

subtype char_t is std_logic_vector(readData'range);

-- Mike Treseler