Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Changing Security on Existing Wireless Network

Changing Security on Existing Wireless Network

=?Utf-8?B?TWFnZ2llIEQu?=

Can I change the "open" wireless network to "secured"; or do I need to set up
a new wireless connection? Windows XP SP2 with a 801.1g gateway adapter,
gateway wireless router to broadband cable modem connection.

Malke

Maggie D. wrote:

> Can I change the "open" wireless network to "secured"; or do I need to
> set up
> a new wireless connection? Windows XP SP2 with a 801.1g gateway
> adapter, gateway wireless router to broadband cable modem connection.

Of course you can change your current wireless network to secured. You
should. First, make sure one of your network computers is connected to
the router via ethernet (wired). Then go into your router's
configuration setup. This is usually done from a browser. Look in your
router's manual for exact instructions. Once you are in the router
configuration setup, change the wireless security to WEP or WPA (the
latter only if all hardware supports it - better to just try WEP first
if you aren't sure). Assign an encryption key and copy it. Now go to
all the computers that connect wirelessly and enter the encryption key
for your wireless network connection.

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell