Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Searching hints for a web-app

Searching hints for a web-app

Enrico Fichtner

Hi folks,

I don't if this is the right newsgroup for that question, if not pls.
could someone guide me to the right one

In my home, I have a computer sitting in the basement controlling all
kinds of consumers in our house (lights, outlets - e.g. for TV, heater
and so on). The switches in the walls do not switch the power, they just
send singnals to the computer and that eventually (through a
self-written program) turn on the consumers.
For that scenario I have also written a neat client application (C++)
that shows on different tabs the top view for each floor (and the
garage) - on those vies you can see all the different consumers (like
bulbs or outlets) as icons. Clicking on them turns the consumer on/off -
it reflects the state of the consumer by using different icons (bulb on,
bulb off). The client is connected through CORBA with the server.
What I would like to do is, to come up with a web-based solution equal
to that client. I think plain html drops out because it can not be
notified when a consumer changes its state. The only two possibilities I
can think of would be using Java-Applets or a flash animation. With the
latter one I have no experience whatsoever, it is just a (uneducated)
guess.

Anyone who could lend a hand on this project?

BTW: I could easely integrate a web server into the controller or run
Apache on the same machine.

Thanks!

aoksite1@gmail.com

On Jan 25, 4:17 am, Enrico Fichtner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I don't if this is the right newsgroup for that question, if not pls.
> could someone guide me to the right one
>
> In my home, I have a computer sitting in the basement controlling all
> kinds of consumers in our house (lights, outlets - e.g. for TV, heater
> and so on). The switches in the walls do not switch the power, they just
> send singnals to the computer and that eventually (through a
> self-written program) turn on the consumers.
> For that scenario I have also written a neat client application (C++)
> that shows on different tabs the top view for each floor (and the
> garage) - on those vies you can see all the different consumers (like
> bulbs or outlets) as icons. Clicking on them turns the consumer on/off -
> it reflects the state of the consumer by using different icons (bulb on,
> bulb off). The client is connected through CORBA with the server.
> What I would like to do is, to come up with a web-based solution equal
> to that client. I think plain html drops out because it can not be
> notified when a consumer changes its state. The only two possibilities I
> can think of would be using Java-Applets or a flash animation. With the
> latter one I have no experience whatsoever, it is just a (uneducated)
> guess.
>
> Anyone who could lend a hand on this project?
>
> BTW: I could easely integrate a web server into the controller or run
> Apache on the same machine.
>
> Thanks!

Since you are already familiar with C++, I believe asp.net would be
the best way to go. Do you already have Microsoft Visual?

Daniel

http://a-ok-site.com