Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Windows Mobile Device Center in Vista Ultimate 64-Bit

Windows Mobile Device Center in Vista Ultimate 64-Bit

Frederick

I have a Dell Axim X50v with Windos Mobile 5, which I was hoping to have
connect and syncronize with my new Win Vista desktop. All the literature says
that I don't install ActiveSync on my desktop, but that Windos Mobile Desktop
Center should do all the connecting (magically). Unfortunately all I get is a
simple "Error" message in the Windows Mobile panel (and that is all it does
say "Error"!). Meanwhile my Dell Axim indicates Connected. Needless to say
they are not on speaking terms and nothing is being syncronized.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks, Fred.

Bill Patten

Hi Fred,

I don't have any suggestions at this time, and I'm leaving town for a few
days so I won't be around to help you with settings till Friday next week.
My reason for answering is to let you know that I have an Axim 51v connected
to Vista Ultimate 64 and it works fine, so hang in there it can be made to
work.

I think I found some solutions on either www.aximusers.com or
www.aximsite.com.

If you haven't got it working by next Friday, give me a shout and I can
check some my settings etc for you.

Bill

"Frederick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
I have a Dell Axim X50v with Windos Mobile 5, which I was hoping to have
connect and syncronize with my new Win Vista desktop. All the literature
says
that I don't install ActiveSync on my desktop, but that Windos Mobile
Desktop
Center should do all the connecting (magically). Unfortunately all I get is
simple "Error" message in the Windows Mobile panel (and that is all it does
say "Error"!). Meanwhile my Dell Axim indicates Connected. Needless to say
they are not on speaking terms and nothing is being syncronized.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks, Fred.

KevinD

What are you using for Firewall? I have a different device Windows based
device (ATT Tilt running Windows Mobile 6), but I had to manually configure
my Firewall to get it to connect as the Policy was not built in for Mobile
Device Center.

BTW...I am running Vista Ultimate 64 Bit on my laptop....once I got my
Firewall (Windows Live One Care) to cooperate everything syncs beautifully.

"Bill Patten" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:uQZQUo#(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Fred,
>
> I don't have any suggestions at this time, and I'm leaving town for a few
> days so I won't be around to help you with settings till Friday next week.
> My reason for answering is to let you know that I have an Axim 51v
> connected
> to Vista Ultimate 64 and it works fine, so hang in there it can be made to
> work.
>
> I think I found some solutions on either www.aximusers.com or
> www.aximsite.com.
>
> If you haven't got it working by next Friday, give me a shout and I can
> check some my settings etc for you.
>

> Bill
>

> "Frederick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have a Dell Axim X50v with Windos Mobile 5, which I was hoping to have
> connect and syncronize with my new Win Vista desktop. All the literature
> says
> that I don't install ActiveSync on my desktop, but that Windos Mobile
> Desktop
> Center should do all the connecting (magically). Unfortunately all I get
> is
> simple "Error" message in the Windows Mobile panel (and that is all it
> does
> say "Error"!). Meanwhile my Dell Axim indicates Connected. Needless to say
> they are not on speaking terms and nothing is being syncronized.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions?
>
> Thanks, Fred.

Hydrology

Yoyt are the first person that I have run across that has been able to get
WMDC to connect correctly with 64bit Vista. What version of WMDC are you
using 6.0 or 6.1?
--
Tom

"KevinD" wrote:

> What are you using for Firewall? I have a different device Windows based
> device (ATT Tilt running Windows Mobile 6), but I had to manually configure
> my Firewall to get it to connect as the Policy was not built in for Mobile
> Device Center.
>
> BTW...I am running Vista Ultimate 64 Bit on my laptop....once I got my
> Firewall (Windows Live One Care) to cooperate everything syncs beautifully.
>
> "Bill Patten" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:uQZQUo#(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi Fred,
> >
> > I don't have any suggestions at this time, and I'm leaving town for a few
> > days so I won't be around to help you with settings till Friday next week.
> > My reason for answering is to let you know that I have an Axim 51v
> > connected
> > to Vista Ultimate 64 and it works fine, so hang in there it can be made to
> > work.
> >
> > I think I found some solutions on either www.aximusers.com or
> > www.aximsite.com.
> >
> > If you haven't got it working by next Friday, give me a shout and I can
> > check some my settings etc for you.
> >

> > Bill
> >

> > "Frederick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I have a Dell Axim X50v with Windos Mobile 5, which I was hoping to have
> > connect and syncronize with my new Win Vista desktop. All the literature
> > says
> > that I don't install ActiveSync on my desktop, but that Windos Mobile
> > Desktop
> > Center should do all the connecting (magically). Unfortunately all I get
> > is
> > simple "Error" message in the Windows Mobile panel (and that is all it
> > does
> > say "Error"!). Meanwhile my Dell Axim indicates Connected. Needless to say
> > they are not on speaking terms and nothing is being syncronized.
> >
> > Does anyone have any suggestions?
> >
> > Thanks, Fred.

Bill Patten

Tom,

I am using WMDC ver 6.1.6965

I did have some problems with it and a few other things when I first
installed Vista64 Back in February last year, after messing around for quite
a while I finally made an Acronis full backup image, (just to protect
myself) then copied the Vista 64 (OEM) CD onto my hard drive (Didn't work
from CD (of DVD what ever it was) then ran setup and told it to upgrade, it
did and 5 of the 6 problems I was having went away, including the problems
with WMDC. Hopefully you wont have to do this but that's what I did. The
only problem the upgrade caused was my Visual Studio 2005, had to be
reloaded.

Bill

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

"KevinD" wrote:

> What are you using for Firewall? I have a different device Windows based
> device (ATT Tilt running Windows Mobile 6), but I had to manually
> configure
> my Firewall to get it to connect as the Policy was not built in for Mobile
> Device Center.
>
> BTW...I am running Vista Ultimate 64 Bit on my laptop....once I got my
> Firewall (Windows Live One Care) to cooperate everything syncs
> beautifully.
>
> "Bill Patten" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:uQZQUo#(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi Fred,
> >
> > I don't have any suggestions at this time, and I'm leaving town for a
> > few
> > days so I won't be around to help you with settings till Friday next
> > week.
> > My reason for answering is to let you know that I have an Axim 51v
> > connected
> > to Vista Ultimate 64 and it works fine, so hang in there it can be made
> > work.
> >
> > I think I found some solutions on either www.aximusers.com or
> > www.aximsite.com.
> >
> > If you haven't got it working by next Friday, give me a shout and I can
> > check some my settings etc for you.
> >

> > Bill
> >

> > "Frederick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I have a Dell Axim X50v with Windos Mobile 5, which I was hoping to have
> > connect and syncronize with my new Win Vista desktop. All the literature
> > says
> > that I don't install ActiveSync on my desktop, but that Windos Mobile
> > Desktop
> > Center should do all the connecting (magically). Unfortunately all I get
> > is
> > simple "Error" message in the Windows Mobile panel (and that is all it
> > does
> > say "Error"!). Meanwhile my Dell Axim indicates Connected. Needless to
> > say
> > they are not on speaking terms and nothing is being syncronized.
> >
> > Does anyone have any suggestions?
> >
> > Thanks, Fred.

Hydrology

I may have to try that, because nothing else seems to work. I have a Treo
750 with Windows Mobile 6. I have found one or two people that can sych with
WMDC 6.0 but no one with 6.1. And even with 6.0 they were only able to synch
with bluetooth. No one was able to get the usb driver to work. I saw a
posting on how to roll back WMDC 6.1 to 6.0, but it involved about 30 steps
that included deleting some system registry lines. Apparently uninstalling
6.1 does not work. It leaves a lot of things in the registry and on your
hard drive that will keep 6.0 from installing correctly.

I will try your way and see if it will work. I hate spending a lot of time
trying to make an operating system work, especially one that I don't really
like anyway, but I HAVE to be able to synch my phone. I have been using
Vista for about a year now and I REALLY miss the ease and simplicity of XP.
Plus it works!

--
Tom