Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > VOIP handset / phone

VOIP handset / phone

Sonn

I bought a Skype Logitech cordless handset a few months ago with the
intention of using it for VOIP. It's called a Skype phone, but as Skype
are merely a provider of voice over internet, I'm presuming (as was told
when I bought it) that it could be used for VOIP.

The instruction manual is very basic, and while VOIP is working well on
my computer, the handset is not connecting.

Can anyone tell me if this supposedly dedicated handset **will** work
with VOIP, or does it **have** to be Skype only?

I'm ready to throw it and get something else, otherwise.

S.

RL

Sonn wrote:
> I bought a Skype Logitech cordless handset a few months ago with the
> intention of using it for VOIP. It's called a Skype phone, but as Skype
> are merely a provider of voice over internet, I'm presuming (as was told
> when I bought it) that it could be used for VOIP.
>
> The instruction manual is very basic, and while VOIP is working well on
> my computer, the handset is not connecting.
>
> Can anyone tell me if this supposedly dedicated handset **will** work
> with VOIP, or does it **have** to be Skype only?
>
> I'm ready to throw it and get something else, otherwise.

Most likely this works with Skype only, unless you have to run the Skype
software at the same time, in which case it is probably only an audio
devices and the sound at least should work with other VoIP software.

If it doesn't require a PC, look in the manual or online to see if the
phone supports 'SIP'. If not, chances are it isn't going to work with
most VoIP providers, because few support other protocols, and none
support the Skype protocol.

I have a normal Panasonic cordless phone, connected to a Linksys PAP2
ATA (The PAP2T replaced this model), and it works well with 2Talk,
iTalk, and Asterisk (as a SIP client). This is possibly the cheapest way
to go at the moment, as it was a few years ago for me, as dedicated VoIP
phones (even desk phones) are usually more than the cost of a cordless
phone plus ATA.

RL

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In article <1201295526.958519@ftpsrv1>, Sonn did write:

> I bought a Skype Logitech cordless handset a few months ago with the
> intention of using it for VOIP. It's called a Skype phone, but as Skype
> are merely a provider of voice over internet, I'm presuming (as was told
> when I bought it) that it could be used for VOIP.

Nope. Skype is a competely proprietary system. Avoid.

lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz

I'm using Skype with basic speakers attached to my system with a
Microphone I bought for $6 some years ago at a Sunday morning swap
meet in Melbourne.

My wife uses a DS skype phone on her setup.

I tried a Robotics Skype phone but returned it to the retailer.

Lindsay Rollo
Wellington, New Zealand

Sonn

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> In article <1201295526.958519@ftpsrv1>, Sonn did write:
>
>> I bought a Skype Logitech cordless handset a few months ago with the
>> intention of using it for VOIP. It's called a Skype phone, but as Skype
>> are merely a provider of voice over internet, I'm presuming (as was told
>> when I bought it) that it could be used for VOIP.

> Nope. Skype is a competely proprietary system. Avoid.

Thanks guys. I will also avoid Dick Smith from now on, as this would be
the umpteenth time I've relied on their technical knowledge before
purchasing, to find later they're idiots. Silly me.

S.

impossible

"Sonn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>I bought a Skype Logitech cordless handset a few months ago with the
>intention of using it for VOIP. It's called a Skype phone, but as Skype
>are merely a provider of voice over internet, I'm presuming (as was told
>when I bought it) that it could be used for VOIP.
>
> The instruction manual is very basic, and while VOIP is working well on my
> computer, the handset is not connecting.
>
> Can anyone tell me if this supposedly dedicated handset **will** work with
> VOIP, or does it **have** to be Skype only?
>
> I'm ready to throw it and get something else, otherwise.

Somebody didn't read the Logitech specs:

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/we...s/233&cl=us,en

To use that particular phone you need Windows and Skype.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In article <1201301498.340003@ftpsrv1>, Sonn did write:

> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>> In article <1201295526.958519@ftpsrv1>, Sonn did write:
>>
>>> I bought a Skype Logitech cordless handset a few months ago with the
>>> intention of using it for VOIP. It's called a Skype phone, but as Skype
>>> are merely a provider of voice over internet, I'm presuming (as was told
>>> when I bought it) that it could be used for VOIP.

>> Nope. Skype is a competely proprietary system. Avoid.
>>

> I will also avoid Dick Smith from now on, as this would be
> the umpteenth time I've relied on their technical knowledge before
> purchasing, to find later they're idiots.

If you were misled by the salesdroid, go back and complain. If they won't
put it right, you can try the Consumers' Institute, Commerce Commission,
Fair Go etc.

RL

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> If you were misled by the salesdroid, go back and complain. If they won't
> put it right, you can try the Consumers' Institute, Commerce Commission,
> Fair Go etc.

If all the OP asked was if it supported VoIP, which is all he mentions
here, then he was not mislead. Skype is a form of VoIP. A proprietary
and evil service, but still VoIP.

RL

Sonn

impossible wrote:
> "Sonn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> I bought a Skype Logitech cordless handset a few months ago with the
>> intention of using it for VOIP. It's called a Skype phone, but as Skype
>> are merely a provider of voice over internet, I'm presuming (as was told
>> when I bought it) that it could be used for VOIP.
>>
>> The instruction manual is very basic, and while VOIP is working well on my
>> computer, the handset is not connecting.
>>
>> Can anyone tell me if this supposedly dedicated handset **will** work with
>> VOIP, or does it **have** to be Skype only?
>>
>> I'm ready to throw it and get something else, otherwise.
>>

> Somebody didn't read the Logitech specs:
>
> http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/we...s/233&cl=us,en
>
> To use that particular phone you need Windows and Skype.

Even my ISP helpdesk said it was useable as a softphone. Never mind, a
lesson well learned. Im reasonably technical, but am struggling a bit
to keep up at the moment.

I took RL's advice and bought a Linksys PAP2T box. Given that I have a
very good cordless landline phone, it makes more sense. And good thing
I had a spare router with more than one port, to connect the box, cos
that wouldn't have occurred to me either. Getting iTalk seems
straightforward for the average user, but there's a lot of
don't-know-what-i-need-to-know type hidden questions in there.

Thanks all
S.

RL

Sonn wrote:
> Even my ISP helpdesk said it was useable as a softphone. Never mind, a
> lesson well learned. Im reasonably technical, but am struggling a bit
> to keep up at the moment.
>
> I took RL's advice and bought a Linksys PAP2T box. Given that I have a
> very good cordless landline phone, it makes more sense. And good thing
> I had a spare router with more than one port, to connect the box, cos
> that wouldn't have occurred to me either. Getting iTalk seems
> straightforward for the average user, but there's a lot of
> don't-know-what-i-need-to-know type hidden questions in there.

I would recommend 2Talk over iTalk. They have a free plan you can try,
and the pay plans start at $15 per month ($9.95 for iTalk), but the
costs for calls are lower, and you get many more features.

2Talk is quite small, so getting hold of phone support isn't always
easy, but they do reply to questions on the forums every few days
(unlike iTalk), and they seem to know what they are doing. They are also
open to suggestions for improving the service. Overall, I highly
recommend them.

Hopefully the PAP2T will work well for you. I've found the older PAP2 to
be excellent. It is possibly the most reliable device on my network.

RL