Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Port 21 (FTP) Open. How to close.

Port 21 (FTP) Open. How to close.

Maj.BPudgeman

While testing my security at GRC.com (ShieldsUp) I find that port 21 shows
open. I'd like to close it but can't figure out how. I have the firewall on
and have tried both settings on the block all access option. I also have a
Linksys router with firewall turned on.

I also tried changing the registry entry for ....DisableStatefulFTP with no
luck.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

BTW My Vista is 64bit, Ultimate.

Thanks

Jason Gurtz

Maj.BPudgeman wrote:
> While testing my security at GRC.com (ShieldsUp) I find that port 21 shows
> open. I'd like to close it but can't figure out how. I have the firewall on
> and have tried both settings on the block all access option. I also have a
> Linksys router with firewall turned on.

I believe that GRC service checks external ports which are open. This
means check the settings on your router (maybe a static port mapping/DMZ
setting?).

"netstat -ano" at the cmd prompt will tell you the local ports that are
open; look for ports in the "Listening" state. -o option give PID of
prog that has the port open. You can add the PID column in task manager
to see.

~JasonG

Jud Hendrix

On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 10:05:06 -0800, Maj.BPudgeman
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>While testing my security at GRC.com (ShieldsUp) I find that port 21 shows
>open. I'd like to close it but can't figure out how.

It's the FTP-port. Not sure if it is such a good idea to close it.

jud

Maj.BPudgeman

Thanks. You put me on the right path to a solution. My new router has a
storage link and apparently it uses port 21 for attached storage devices. I
was able to block it and go back to stealth mode.

Perhaps I'll have a problem if I do attach a drive, but I'll cross that
bridge when it hatches.

Anyone interested the setting is in the router management Storage/FTP
Server/FTP Server = disable.

Thanks agin.