Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > NPD: Toshiba's New Marketing Campaign Is "Proving Effective"

NPD: Toshiba's New Marketing Campaign Is "Proving Effective"

Broadway Blue

Chris F wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 13:02:53 -0800, Tarkus
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> David Z wrote:
>>> I was just at a hi-fi shop yesterday and the only blu-ray players I
>>> saw were all over $1,000. Send one over at $399, will you?

>> Maybe you should stay out of overpriced hi-fi shops for things like
>> that, and try the mass market electronic chains instead. And while
>> you're at it, do the smart thing and buy a Playstation 3, which
>> doesn't cost anywhere near $1,000, let alone over. It's currently
>> the best Blu-ray player available too.

> is it though? i mean i'm not up on the inner working of the PS3 bluray
> features.
>
> is it upgradeable? ie will the ps3 bluray drive support the updated
> versions of the bluray codec that are supposed to be coming soon?
>
> not trolling for a response here, i just genuinely want to know.

Strangely enough, I'd like to know too! As I was going to jump in
to the Blu-Ray thing via the PS3.

Tarkus

Broadway Blue wrote:
> Chris F wrote:
>> On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 13:02:53 -0800, Tarkus
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> Maybe you should stay out of overpriced hi-fi shops for things like
>>> that, and try the mass market electronic chains instead. And while
>>> you're at it, do the smart thing and buy a Playstation 3, which
>>> doesn't cost anywhere near $1,000, let alone over. It's currently
>>> the best Blu-ray player available too.

>> is it though? i mean i'm not up on the inner working of the PS3 bluray
>> features.
>>
>> is it upgradeable? ie will the ps3 bluray drive support the updated
>> versions of the bluray codec that are supposed to be coming soon?
>>
>> not trolling for a response here, i just genuinely want to know.

> Strangely enough, I'd like to know too! As I was going to jump in
> to the Blu-Ray thing via the PS3.

It's actually the one Blu-ray player that is upgradeable. That's why I
said it's currently the best player available. That will probably
change with the next generation of players, but for now, it's both
inexpensive and the best option. And if you play games, that's a bonus.

Jer

Chris F wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 13:02:53 -0800, Tarkus
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> David Z wrote:
>>> I was just at a hi-fi shop yesterday and the only blu-ray players I saw
>>> were all over $1,000. Send one over at $399, will you?

>> Maybe you should stay out of overpriced hi-fi shops for things like
>> that, and try the mass market electronic chains instead. And while
>> you're at it, do the smart thing and buy a Playstation 3, which doesn't
>> cost anywhere near $1,000, let alone over. It's currently the best
>> Blu-ray player available too.

> is it though? i mean i'm not up on the inner working of the PS3 bluray
> features.
>
> is it upgradeable? ie will the ps3 bluray drive support the updated
> versions of the bluray codec that are supposed to be coming soon?
>
> not trolling for a response here, i just genuinely want to know.

Rumor has it that the PS3 is the 'only' Bluray player currently on the
market that has publically claimed to be upgradeable.

--
jer
email reply - I am not a 'ten'

ChairmanOfTheBored

On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 17:21:19 -0800, Tarkus <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Broadway Blue wrote:
>> Chris F wrote:

>>> is it though? i mean i'm not up on the inner working of the PS3 bluray
>>> features.
>>>
>>> is it upgradeable? ie will the ps3 bluray drive support the updated
>>> versions of the bluray codec that are supposed to be coming soon?
>>>
>>> not trolling for a response here, i just genuinely want to know.

>> Strangely enough, I'd like to know too! As I was going to jump in
>> to the Blu-Ray thing via the PS3.

>It's actually the one Blu-ray player that is upgradeable. That's why I
>said it's currently the best player available. That will probably
>change with the next generation of players, but for now, it's both
>inexpensive and the best option. And if you play games, that's a bonus.

The PS3 was upgraded to a better sound input type capacity, and a
better rendering crossover/translation for PS2 games. I don't recall
what was added, but it seemed that Sony has a good handle on making
firmware that is an integral part of the operation and going deep with
it. Hell, even the new PSP firmware is pretty cool.

Goddamned cross posting retards.

Depresion

"Richard C." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> "David Z" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:6JKnj.8754$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "Tarkus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>> Civilization is your friend.
>>>
>>> So is the Internet.

>> He was talking in Canadian dollars, I believe. So you cannot directly
>> compare.

> ==============================
> Why not?
>
> $700 Canadian is about the same right now as $700 US.

The Canadian dollar has been devalued?

Richard C.

"Depresion" <127.0.0.1> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Richard C." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>> "David Z" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:6JKnj.8754$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>> "Tarkus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> He was talking in Canadian dollars, I believe. So you cannot directly
>>> compare.

>> ==============================
>> Why not?
>>
>> $700 Canadian is about the same right now as $700 US.

> The Canadian dollar has been devalued?

=================================
http://www.xe.com/ucc/
Live rates at 2008.01.30 14:59:30 UTC
1.00 USD = 0.994792 CAD
United States Dollars Canada Dollars
1 USD = 0.994792 CAD 1 CAD = 1.00524 USD

Tarkus

Richard C. wrote:
> "Depresion" <127.0.0.1> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "Richard C." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>> "David Z" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:6JKnj.8754$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> ==============================
>>> Why not?
>>>
>>> $700 Canadian is about the same right now as $700 US.

>> The Canadian dollar has been devalued?

> =================================
> http://www.xe.com/ucc/
> Live rates at 2008.01.30 14:59:30 UTC
> 1.00 USD = 0.994792 CAD
> United States Dollars Canada Dollars
> 1 USD = 0.994792 CAD 1 CAD = 1.00524 USD

Looks "about the same" to me.

Matthew Vaughan

"Big Daddy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:yCImj.1536$(E-Mail Removed). ..

> LOL.
>
> Blu-ray: "you've got no arms, you stupid bastard".
> HD-DVD: "yes I have"
> Blu-ray: "LOOK!!!"
> HD-DVD: "it's just a flesh wound"

Yes, that's the PR spin the Blu Ray camp is attempting to create (and is
succeeding at, due to the lousy quality of so-called "new sources" these
days, that can't tell when they're being manipulated). Too bad it's not
true.

Matthew Vaughan

"Tarkus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> I'm reminded of "Ghost Whisperer," when people don't know they're dead
> yet. Except this is more humorous.

You're right, Sony is going to waste away a few more $ billion before they
realize that Blu Ray actually lost.

Regardless of whether HD DVD "wins" or "loses", I think Blu Ray is going to
"lose". People aren't going to put up with the cr*p that is Blu Ray, with
all its extra DRM, region coding, incompatibilities, broken features,
playback issues, high prices, and other problems (and without giving any
value-added or convenience other than more audio and video resolution).
Those who speculate that people will largely bypass hi-def disc formats
entirely (DVD = good enough, and by the time it's not, everyone will be
downloading everything) will probably be more correct if Blu Ray "wins" and
HD DVD loses, but less correct if HD DVD "wins" and Blu Ray "loses".

Derek Janssen

Matthew Vaughan wrote:

> "Tarkus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>I'm reminded of "Ghost Whisperer," when people don't know they're dead
>>yet. Except this is more humorous.

> You're right, Sony is going to waste away a few more $ billion before they
> realize that Blu Ray actually lost.
>
> Regardless of whether HD DVD "wins" or "loses"

(Or whether it "sells" or doesn't "sell"...Ah, the power of quotation
marks!)

> I think Blu Ray is going to "lose".

(So, this's another one of those quote-fingers ambituities, then?)

> People aren't going to put up with the cr*p that is Blu Ray, with
> all its extra DRM, region coding, incompatibilities, broken features,
> playback issues, high prices, and other problems (and without giving any
> value-added or convenience other than more audio and video resolution).

Unless they've already got a PS3, and went out and got that LCD for the
SuperBowl.

(How many think this starting to sound like Norm MacDonald's SNL bits
during the Bill Clinton/Bob Dole election?:
"Sony responded to Toshiba's charges, saying 'Yeah, you're probably
right, and oh, did we mention, we're gonna win anyway. ")

Derek Janssen