Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Nikon D40 with 300mm lens AND teleconverter (Nikkor AF-S Teleconverter TC-20E II)

Re: Nikon D40 with 300mm lens AND teleconverter (Nikkor AF-S Teleconverter TC-20E II)

Rita Berkowitz

Wolfgang Weisselberg wrote:

> Show me the Nikon 50mm f/1.0, if you please. I want to see one.

Why, for Christ's sake, would Nikon want to duplicate Canon's failure with
this lens?

Rita

Neil Harrington

Rita Berkowitz wrote:
> Wolfgang Weisselberg wrote:
>
>> Show me the Nikon 50mm f/1.0, if you please. I want to see one.

> Why, for Christ's sake, would Nikon want to duplicate Canon's failure
> with this lens?

Canon even made an f/0.95 lens once, didn't they? I think it could only be
used on the Pellix because it intruded so far into the body.

Neil

Rita Berkowitz

Neil Harrington wrote:

>>> Show me the Nikon 50mm f/1.0, if you please. I want to see one.

>> Why, for Christ's sake, would Nikon want to duplicate Canon's failure
>> with this lens?

> Canon even made an f/0.95 lens once, didn't they? I think it could
> only be used on the Pellix because it intruded so far into the body.

Yes, I think that was a rangefinder lens. The 50/1 Wolfie is referring to
was an overpriced piece of crap that met with many complaints, especially
for the ridiculous price/performance ratio. It just sucked at any price.

Rita

user@domain.invalid

Rita Berkowitz wrote:

>>> Why, for Christ's sake, would Nikon want to duplicate Canon's failure
>>> with this lens?

>> Canon even made an f/0.95 lens once, didn't they?

Yep. I have one. It remains in faithful service
today, minus it's lens mount, in a scientific apparatus.

This lens is basically only f/0.95 at the exact center of the
field. It vignettes like crazy. It is soft as a marshmallow,
even at f/4.

Doug McDonald

Neil Harrington

Rita Berkowitz wrote:

>>> Why, for Christ's sake, would Nikon want to duplicate Canon's
>>> failure with this lens?

>> Canon even made an f/0.95 lens once, didn't they? I think it could
>> only be used on the Pellix because it intruded so far into the body.

> Yes, I think that was a rangefinder lens.

I think you're right. It wasn't the Pellix after all. I guess I'm thinking
of some other lens for the Pellix.

Neil

> The 50/1 Wolfie is
> referring to was an overpriced piece of crap that met with many
> complaints, especially for the ridiculous price/performance ratio. It just
> sucked at any price.
>

> Rita

Neil Harrington

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)lid wrote:
> Rita Berkowitz wrote:

>>> Canon even made an f/0.95 lens once, didn't they?

> Yep. I have one. It remains in faithful service
> today, minus it's lens mount, in a scientific apparatus.
>
> This lens is basically only f/0.95 at the exact center of the
> field. It vignettes like crazy. It is soft as a marshmallow,
> even at f/4.

<chuckle>

That sure is an impressive aperture, though.

I'm not familiar with the f/1.0 the others are talking about. I recall that
Zunow made an f/1.1 lens and I think that was in the Canon mount. No idea
whether it was any good, though.

The fastest lens I ever owned was a Minolta f/1.2 back in the MD mount days.
That was impressive just because it was f/1.2, but it had little if any
real-world benefit over the f/1.4 -- not even the half stop advantage it was
supposed to have, because of the fall-off.

Neil

Wolfgang Weisselberg

["Followup-To:" header set to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems.]
Rita Berkowitz <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Wolfgang Weisselberg wrote:

>> Show me the Nikon 50mm f/1.0, if you please. I want to see one.

> Why, for Christ's sake, would Nikon want to duplicate Canon's failure with
> this lens?

Canon can, Nikon cannot?

-Wolfgang

Wolfgang Weisselberg

["Followup-To:" header set to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems.]
Rita Berkowitz <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Neil Harrington wrote:

>> Canon even made an f/0.95 lens once, didn't they? I think it could
>> only be used on the Pellix because it intruded so far into the body.

> Yes, I think that was a rangefinder lens.

It was.

> The 50/1 Wolfie is referring to
> was an overpriced piece of crap that met with many complaints, especially
> for the ridiculous price/performance ratio. It just sucked at any price.

Poor Rita, your penis envy is a bit to obvious. Sour grapes and
all that. Are you sure the 50mm was never meant as an ultra wide
angle and is thus a failure?

-Wolfgang