Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > FireFox

FireFox

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarweb "basil" typed:
> I've just about had it with FF. It won't load Gmail but IE will.
> It won't load my bank but IE will.
> It just hangs or seems to make an effort as if something is happening
> but it isn't.
>
> It's about 3 weeks now that I cannot find out where the fault lies. FF
> has been uninstalled and installed again. Version is 2.0.0.11
> Sometimes I really don't need upgrades. I haven't seen an older
> version I could use?
>
> How can I make changes to the profile?

I hate to see posts like this. I use Firefox exclusively, use gmail and log
into three different banks with absolutely no trouble whatsoever. I'm also
using ver. 2.0.0.11. I don't know what the problem is but I really don't
think that it's Firefox. Good luck resolving it, it would be a shame to have
to use an inferior browser if you are unable to sort it out.

Cheers,
--
Shaun.

EMB

~misfit~ wrote:

> I hate to see posts like this. I use Firefox exclusively, use gmail and log
> into three different banks with absolutely no trouble whatsoever. I'm also
> using ver. 2.0.0.11.

Ditto. The problem is unlikely to be Firefox.

Nighthawk

On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 20:49:54 -0800 (PST), basil <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I've just about had it with FF. It won't load Gmail but IE will.
>It won't load my bank but IE will.
>It just hangs or seems to make an effort as if something is happening
>but it isn't.
>
>It's about 3 weeks now that I cannot find out where the fault lies. FF
>has been uninstalled and installed again. Version is 2.0.0.11
>Sometimes I really don't need upgrades. I haven't seen an older
>version I could use?
>
>How can I make changes to the profile?

Create a new shortcut to Firefox, go to the shortcut properties and in
the Target box put this, exactly, including quotes:

"C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -P

assuming that is the location of Firefox on your PC. This will bring
up the profile manager where you can create a new profile, which will
be clean of all previous add-ons and themes. Try it 'naked'.

I couldn't access online banking a year or so ago with an earlier
version of Firefox when I had tabbrowserextensions installed. Banking
worked fine without it.

Perhaps you should consider latest Opera anyway for banking as it is,
according to the Secunia site, the most secure browser with no
unpatched holes http://secunia.com/product/10615/

compared to IE7 with 7 unpatched holes
http://secunia.com/product/12366

and Firefox with 5 unpatched holes http://secunia.com/product/12434

shane

Nighthawk did scribble:

> Create a new shortcut to Firefox, go to the shortcut properties and in
> the Target box put this, exactly, including quotes:
>
> "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -P

Why not just write that command at a prompt, instead of all that other
rigmarole?
Otherwise why all that work for a one time run?
--
Hardware n: Parts of the computer you can kick

Cima

Try throwing the portable version on a flash drive and see if you have the same
problem.

http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/firefox_portable

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarweb "Rob S" typed:
> On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 00:15:29 +1300
> EMB <(E-Mail Removed)> took time out from filleting whitebait to
> write:
>
>> ~misfit~ wrote:
>>
>>> I hate to see posts like this. I use Firefox exclusively, use gmail
>>> and log into three different banks with absolutely no trouble
>>> whatsoever. I'm also using ver. 2.0.0.11.

>> Ditto. The problem is unlikely to be Firefox.

> I was unable to log into my bank using Firefox and it was a
> javascript issue. Once I sorted that out it was all sweet again.

What bank uses javascript? That doesn't strike me as a good idea. I log into
BNZ, Westpac and ASB and they don't require it.

Cheers,
--
Shaun.

Gordon

On 2008-01-25, Allistar <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Smoking Causes Lung Cancer (SCLC) wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 18:45:26 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>>
>>> Why would Gmail be using Java?

>> Perhaps it's a web 2.0 application that they're using to access their
>> free hosted email a/c.
>>
>> Is he successfully logging into gMail or is he not even completing that
>> stage?

> Lawrence is most likely referring to the fact that Java != JavaScript.

NO! the only thing similar between Java and Javascript is the the letters
java in both the names

Nighthawk

On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 09:00:30 +1300, shane <(E-Mail Removed)-a-geek.net>
wrote:

>Nighthawk did scribble:
>
>> Create a new shortcut to Firefox, go to the shortcut properties and in
>> the Target box put this, exactly, including quotes:
>>
>> "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -P

>Why not just write that command at a prompt, instead of all that other
>rigmarole?
>Otherwise why all that work for a one time run?

You aren't losing anything having a permanent profile link. Might not
be a one time run. It could be good for experimenting with different
add-ons and settings - trouble-shooting.

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarweb "Rob S" typed:
> Westpac. Turn off javascript and try logging in. When you've filled
> in the customer id and password fields, hitting the enter key does
> nothing, you have to click on the login link. Then you'll get a
> "sorry, to use transaction blah blah you must have javascript
> enabled"

Well! I didn't realise that. Thanks for the heads up.

> I only use Westpac for bill payments, so it never has much in it,
> otherwise I'd jump ship completely.

Hmmm. They're my primary bank as they have a "no fees" acount that I use for
my primary and they have the best interest rate available from an NZ bank
for an on-line, on call savings account.

Cheers,
--
Shaun.

>> Somewhere on teh intarweb "Rob S" typed:

>>> I was unable to log into my bank using Firefox and it was a
>>> javascript issue. Once I sorted that out it was all sweet again.

>> What bank uses javascript? That doesn't strike me as a good idea. I
>> log into BNZ, Westpac and ASB and they don't require it.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> --
>> Shaun.

Rob S

On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 00:15:29 +1300
EMB <(E-Mail Removed)> took time out from filleting whitebait to write:

> ~misfit~ wrote:
>
> > I hate to see posts like this. I use Firefox exclusively, use gmail and log
> > into three different banks with absolutely no trouble whatsoever. I'm also
> > using ver. 2.0.0.11.

> Ditto. The problem is unlikely to be Firefox.

I was unable to log into my bank using Firefox and it was a javascript issue. Once I sorted that out it was all sweet again.
--
Rob S

Students nowadays, complaining they only get 5MBs of disk space! In my day we were lucky if we had one file, and that was /dev/null.