Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > FireFox

FireFox

basil

I've just about had it with FF. It won't load Gmail but IE will.
It won't load my bank but IE will.
It just hangs or seems to make an effort as if something is happening
but it isn't.

It's about 3 weeks now that I cannot find out where the fault lies. FF
has been uninstalled and installed again. Version is 2.0.0.11
Sometimes I really don't need upgrades. I haven't seen an older
version I could use?

How can I make changes to the profile?

nof

Collector€NZ

basil wrote:
> I've just about had it with FF. It won't load Gmail but IE will.
> It won't load my bank but IE will.
> It just hangs or seems to make an effort as if something is happening
> but it isn't.
>
> It's about 3 weeks now that I cannot find out where the fault lies. FF
> has been uninstalled and installed again. Version is 2.0.0.11
> Sometimes I really don't need upgrades. I haven't seen an older
> version I could use?
>
> How can I make changes to the profile?
>
> nof

I would suggest your problem is not FF (which works so well for me with
banks, Gmail etc) but with not having an appropiate Java plugin package
for FF to run Gmail etc or even perhaps having set the security settings
to tight. Settings for FF hang around even after an uninstall and even
come back on re install

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In article <4799718c$(E-Mail Removed)>, Collector€NZ did write:

> I would suggest your problem is not FF (which works so well for me with
> banks, Gmail etc) but with not having an appropiate Java plugin package
> for FF to run Gmail etc...

Why would Gmail be using Java?

Peter Jenkins

On Jan 25, 5:49 pm, basil <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I've just about had it with FF. It won't load Gmail but IE will.
> It won't load my bank but IE will.
> It just hangs or seems to make an effort as if something is happening
> but it isn't.
>
> It's about 3 weeks now that I cannot find out where the fault lies. FF
> has been uninstalled and installed again. Version is 2.0.0.11
> Sometimes I really don't need upgrades. I haven't seen an older
> version I could use?
>
> How can I make changes to the profile?
>
> nof

Try clearing the cache

I had some Firefox issues a few weeks ago. Tried everything uninstall/
install etc etc... but clearing the cache was the fix. Odd, would have
thought an ununstall/install would have done that as a matter of
course.

Regards
Peter Jenkins
http://www.sensiblesentencing.org.nz

Mark Robinson

basil wrote:
> I've just about had it with FF. It won't load Gmail but IE will.
> It won't load my bank but IE will.
> It just hangs or seems to make an effort as if something is happening
> but it isn't.
>
> It's about 3 weeks now that I cannot find out where the fault lies. FF
> has been uninstalled and installed again. Version is 2.0.0.11
> Sometimes I really don't need upgrades. I haven't seen an older
> version I could use?

Which extensions / add-ons do you have installed ?

Does it work if you create a new account and try from there ?

Are your DNS settings correct ?

What's in your hosts file ?

Smoking Causes Lung Cancer (SCLC)

On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 18:45:26 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

> Why would Gmail be using Java?

Perhaps it's a web 2.0 application that they're using to access their
free hosted email a/c.

Is he successfully logging into gMail or is he not even completing that
stage?

--
Smoking Causes Lung Cancer

All malware is currently a single platform problem and is almost all the
fault of poor design of two applications - Internet Explorer and Outlook

On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 22:03:13 -0800, Peter Jenkins wrote:

> I had some Firefox issues a few weeks ago. Tried everything uninstall/
> install etc etc... but clearing the cache was the fix. Odd, would have
> thought an ununstall/install would have done that as a matter of course.

I would have expected that un-installing the application would have only
touched the application, and not any data. The cache is data.

What he should try doing is renaming the .Mozilla directory to something
like, say, .Mozilla-old and then starting up Firefox and seeing if he can
again access gMail.

That would prove one way or the other if it is a profile issue.

--
Smoking Causes Lung Cancer

All malware is currently a single platform problem and is almost all the
fault of poor design of two applications - Internet Explorer and Outlook

Mickey Mouse

"basil" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've just about had it with FF. It won't load Gmail but IE will.
> It won't load my bank but IE will.
> It just hangs or seems to make an effort as if something is happening
> but it isn't.

You could try the IETab add-on if you want to retain Firefox for general
browsing.

Allistar

Smoking Causes Lung Cancer (SCLC) wrote:

> On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 18:45:26 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>
>> Why would Gmail be using Java?

> Perhaps it's a web 2.0 application that they're using to access their
> free hosted email a/c.
>
> Is he successfully logging into gMail or is he not even completing that
> stage?

Lawrence is most likely referring to the fact that Java != JavaScript.
--
A.

Ross

On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 20:49:54 -0800 (PST), basil <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I've just about had it with FF. It won't load Gmail but IE will.
>It won't load my bank but IE will.
>It just hangs or seems to make an effort as if something is happening
>but it isn't.
>
>It's about 3 weeks now that I cannot find out where the fault lies. FF
>has been uninstalled and installed again. Version is 2.0.0.11
>Sometimes I really don't need upgrades. I haven't seen an older
>version I could use?
>
>How can I make changes to the profile?
>
>nof

You may have uninstalled the program, but it is apparent that you will
have to clean out other associated data that has been left behind.
Look for Mozilla folders and delete them.
If on XP, look deep down under c:\Documents and Settings\
If on 98, look in these folders under Windows: - "All Users",
"Application Data", "Profiles" and "Local Settings"