Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Intermittent loss of network with NG WG311v2

Intermittent loss of network with NG WG311v2

Pat

I've got a WG311v2 PCI wireless client in a Win2K box;
periodically, it drops the network connection (ipconfig says the media
is disconnected and /renew won't repair the connection). The actual
period ranges from minutes to days, and *seems* to start out longer
after resetting the PC, but I don't have any hard statistics on this
behavior yet. I'm running with WPA-PSK, and haven't tried running with
encryption disabled or with WEP to see if there's any connection (this
would be weird, but possible). I have a notebook with a built-in
wireless
PCI card and another with a WG511v2, both of which can connect to the
router and network fine during the outages on the WG311v2.

I can repair the connection by simply opening the Smart Configuration
system tray utility and doing anything that causes it to "validate
settings", e.g., disabling/enabling encryption, changing the SSID
selection from netgear to ANY, changing the profile (I have two that
are exactly the same). Presumably, there's some sort action performed
by the utility (card reset?) that causes the problem to disappear.
Also,
if I wait long enough (> a few minutes), the connection repairs itself.

It's more annoying than anything else, since I don't have to reboot the
system to fix it, but I was wondering if anyone else has see this on
Win2K (it's not XP, so the zero configuration isn't running). I've
already updated the drivers to the latest version to get WPA-PSK
support, tried different channels, changed the transmit power (in case
the card was overheating), moved the card to different slots, and
checked
the wireless signal (the utility shows a strong signal and the SSID,
but
IP doesn't work).

RSD

"Pat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> I've got a WG311v2 PCI wireless client in a Win2K box;
> periodically, it drops the network connection (ipconfig says the media
> is disconnected and /renew won't repair the connection). The actual
> period ranges from minutes to days, and *seems* to start out longer
> after resetting the PC, but I don't have any hard statistics on this
> behavior yet. I'm running with WPA-PSK, and haven't tried running with
> encryption disabled or with WEP to see if there's any connection (this
> would be weird, but possible). I have a notebook with a built-in
> wireless
> PCI card and another with a WG511v2, both of which can connect to the
> router and network fine during the outages on the WG311v2.
>
> I can repair the connection by simply opening the Smart Configuration
> system tray utility and doing anything that causes it to "validate
> settings", e.g., disabling/enabling encryption, changing the SSID
> selection from netgear to ANY, changing the profile (I have two that
> are exactly the same). Presumably, there's some sort action performed
> by the utility (card reset?) that causes the problem to disappear.
> Also,
> if I wait long enough (> a few minutes), the connection repairs itself.
>
> It's more annoying than anything else, since I don't have to reboot the
> system to fix it, but I was wondering if anyone else has see this on
> Win2K (it's not XP, so the zero configuration isn't running). I've
> already updated the drivers to the latest version to get WPA-PSK
> support, tried different channels, changed the transmit power (in case
> the card was overheating), moved the card to different slots, and
> checked
> the wireless signal (the utility shows a strong signal and the SSID,
> but
> IP doesn't work).

Did you notice my post "having trouble with your PCI wireless......"?
I had very similar prob to yourself - never sure why, but an external
antenna fixed it straight away. I believe because it gives a clearer
uncluttered signal and enables the NIC to maintain a good signal and i
"ignore" interferences.

Rob

Pat

What was your signal strength before you got the external antenna?
Mine is currently in the low 80% range.

Rob D

"Pat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> What was your signal strength before you got the external antenna?
> Mine is currently in the low 80% range.

Previously in low 70's now 90% plus. (Both strength and quality). More
important - it hasn't jumped out on me for days now!

Rob