Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > USB vs Ethernet cable DSL connection

USB vs Ethernet cable DSL connection

CL B

One of my computers has the ethernet cable connection. My other one does
not, and I have to use a USB cord. The USB one only connects at 200 and
the ethernet connects at 500. Is this a ethernet vs. USB issue or
something else?

- Bobb -

"CL B" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:eFcmj.2716$(E-Mail Removed)...
> One of my computers has the ethernet cable connection. My other one
> does
> not, and I have to use a USB cord. The USB one only connects at 200
> and
> the ethernet connects at 500. Is this a ethernet vs. USB issue or
> something else?

200 ? 500 ? where do you see that ? Network connections ? I would expect
"3mbps" for cable or "12mbps" for DSL etc . Do you have a network icon in
lower right tray ? hover over it - it should show connection speed. In
general, on a good day DSL connects at 12.

Before doing a LOT of troubleshooting, whenever you have network issues,
first shutdown the PC and then POWER off the DSL / cable box ( at the AC
switch), or unplug the AC. Wait 30 seconds. Power up the DSL box and then
reboot the PC. That will establish a "new connection" to your ISP and
maybe clean up a connection that "had static on it". Like when you call
someone and "get a lousy connection" - calling them back usually gets a
"good connection". MY neighbors with DSL occasionally complain to me about
the slowness of their PC - that always fixes it. If it doesn't ...
Can you plug the "slow PC" into the DSL cable modem - use the USB cable -
same speed ?
Did you need to install DSL CD ? If so, you'll need to do that first on
the second PC to compare.

Before / after go to www.dslreports.com or www.speakeasy.net and run
speedtest.

Check your ISP's page/your paperwork for info on your model DSL modem. If
it's really old maybe "that as fast as it can go". ( for instance my
nephew got a cable modem years ago and it only can transmit at 3mbs max -
even though cable these days CAN go faster.)

Paul

CL B wrote:
> One of my computers has the ethernet cable connection. My other one does
> not, and I have to use a USB cord. The USB one only connects at 200 and
> the ethernet connects at 500. Is this a ethernet vs. USB issue or
> something else?

If you connect a router box, then more than one computer can be using
Ethernet. Then you won't need to use the USB one.

For example, here is one on Ebay for $10 + $12 shipping.

http://cgi.ebay.com/D-Link-4-Port-Br...QQcmdZViewItem

Connect it like this. Then any single computer can get 500 or whatever.

Internet ----> cable or ADSL ----> cheap wired router box
modem | | | |
v v v v
Up to four wired computers
have their own Ethernet connection

Another example here for $35:

Download and read the manual first, to understand what you are getting,
and to prepare for when you get it. It takes about a week of tinkering
to do all the necessary little things (like make it as secure as possible).
Don't forget to change the password when you get it, and write the
password on a sticky, and stick it to the router.

Paul

- Bobb -

"Paul" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:fncmvk$jgi$(E-Mail Removed)...
> CL B wrote:
>> One of my computers has the ethernet cable connection. My other one
>> does
>> not, and I have to use a USB cord. The USB one only connects at 200
>> and
>> the ethernet connects at 500. Is this a ethernet vs. USB issue or
>> something else?

> If you connect a router box, then more than one computer can be using
> Ethernet. Then you won't need to use the USB one.

But he said that the USB box does not HAVE a rj45 network connection -
that's why DSL.

Paul

CL B wrote:
> One of my computers has the ethernet cable connection. My other one does
> not, and I have to use a USB cord. The USB one only connects at 200 and
> the ethernet connects at 500. Is this a ethernet vs. USB issue or
> something else?

OK, so what is this "USB only" computer ? Does it have a
make and model number ? Sounds like a Macbook Air or something.

Paul

Baron

CL B wrote:

> One of my computers has the ethernet cable connection. My other one
> does
> not, and I have to use a USB cord. The USB one only connects at 200
> and
> the ethernet connects at 500. Is this a ethernet vs. USB issue or
> something else?

Ethernet will always blow USB away in terms of speed. Put a network
card in the other PC. You should be able to pick one up for $10.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.