Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Burning problems

Burning problems

JF

My Father in law's computer has stopped burning discs.It can write about an
hours worth of data and then it fails.

His Processor and Memory are pretty decent ,3000+ &1gb.

His motherboard only has 2 ide slots, so he is using an ide controller card
for both his dvd drives.

Both drives are failing, both are different makes, so the chances of both
failing at the same time are surely slim.

Don't know if this is hardware or software fault.

Anyone have any suggestions as to what it could be, maybe some other program
installed?

He has nero and dvdshrink, which both fail the burning process

Mike Easter

JF wrote:
> My Father in law's computer has stopped burning discs.It can write
> about an hours worth of data and then it fails.

What exactly does 'fails' mean in this context? Is there an error
message or what?

> His Processor and Memory are pretty decent ,3000+ &1gb.
>
> His motherboard only has 2 ide slots, so he is using an ide
> controller card for both his dvd drives.
>
> Both drives are failing, both are different makes, so the chances of
> both failing at the same time are surely slim.

What is all of the information about the system to calculate power
requirements vs PS? PS, mobo/cpu/ram, cards - video, ide controller,
hdd/s. etc.

If the PS were inadequate for the hardware, that would be a problem --
or if somehow the 'flow' of the data from hdd to dvd burner were hitting
a bottleneck, then you would experience a buffer underrun condition.

It sounds like there has been 'stuff' added to the original equipment as
purchased; adding dvd burners, adding ide controller card. How much
else like video card etc?

> He has nero and dvdshrink, which both fail the burning process

.... and say what?

--
Mike Easter

ellis_jay

JF wrote:
> My Father in law's computer has stopped burning discs.It can write
> about an hours worth of data and then it fails.
>
> His Processor and Memory are pretty decent ,3000+ &1gb.
>
> His motherboard only has 2 ide slots, so he is using an ide
> controller card for both his dvd drives.
>
> Both drives are failing, both are different makes, so the chances of
> both failing at the same time are surely slim.
>
> Don't know if this is hardware or software fault.
>
> Anyone have any suggestions as to what it could be, maybe some other
> program installed?
>
> He has nero and dvdshrink, which both fail the burning process

Over heating? Check out Sandra lite. Google the link. And Mother Board
Monitor 5. Google the link. You may find some good info about your
hardware./drivers.

--
A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his
government. ___Edward Abbey

Plato

JF wrote:

> My Father in law's computer has stopped burning discs.It can write about an
> hours worth of data and then it fails.
>
> Both drives are failing, both are different makes, so the chances of both
> failing at the same time are surely slim.

If both drives are on the same IDE channel, then one bad drive can also
make the other fail.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

chuckcar

"JF" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news9_lj.4997$(E-Mail Removed):

> My Father in law's computer has stopped burning discs.It can write
> about an hours worth of data and then it fails.
>
> His Processor and Memory are pretty decent ,3000+ &1gb.
>
> His motherboard only has 2 ide slots, so he is using an ide controller
> card for both his dvd drives.

And each cable can support up to 4 drives with EIDE. Does he already
have 4 other drives including hard drives? (2 per cable is easy, 4 can
be problematic). Generally, you're better off putting each CDROM/DVD on
a different cable.

> Both drives are failing, both are different makes, so the chances of
> both failing at the same time are surely slim.

Will they play a dvd completely? Can you burn from the hard drive to the
DVD?

> Don't know if this is hardware or software fault.

That's what has to be determined before any fixing is tried.

> Anyone have any suggestions as to what it could be, maybe some other
> program installed?
>
> He has nero and dvdshrink, which both fail the burning process

Probably not the programs then, does device manager show anything wrong?

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

nobody >

chuckcar wrote:

> And each cable can support up to 4 drives with EIDE.

Since when can you put 4 drives on ONE EIDE cable?

> Does he already
> have 4 other drives including hard drives? (2 per cable is easy, 4 can
> be problematic). Generally, you're better off putting each CDROM/DVD on
> a different cable.

Reread the OP. He's using an add-in card extra EIDE controller with 2
channels.

chuckcar

"nobody >" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> chuckcar wrote:
>

>> And each cable can support up to 4 drives with EIDE.

> Since when can you put 4 drives on ONE EIDE cable?
>
>> Does he already
>> have 4 other drives including hard drives? (2 per cable is easy, 4
>> can be problematic). Generally, you're better off putting each
>> CDROM/DVD on a different cable.

> Reread the OP. He's using an add-in card extra EIDE controller with 2
> channels.

Yes, my guess is that the jumpers' aren't set right. Besides,
looks like another drive-by anyways.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )