Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Green Computing

Green Computing

peterwn

See:

http://groups.google.co.nz/group/com...93bb67d6af0954

or

http://tinyurl.com/2v9ke7

,----[ Quote ]
| A new report from the U.K. Office of Government Commerce about Open
| Source Software Trials in Government, has found that servers running
| Linux could combat the rising problem of e-waste because they last
| up to twice as long as machines running Windows.
`----

Linux Could Prevent Use of 4,200,000,000 kg of Fossil Fuels a Year

NZ needs to take note too. why should we all be locked in on an
obsolescence treadmill dictated by Microsoft and Intel.

Gordon

On 2008-01-24, peterwn <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> See:
>
> http://groups.google.co.nz/group/com...93bb67d6af0954
>
> or
>
> http://tinyurl.com/2v9ke7
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| A new report from the U.K. Office of Government Commerce about Open
>| Source Software Trials in Government, has found that servers running
>| Linux could combat the rising problem of e-waste because they last
>| up to twice as long as machines running Windows.
> `----
>
> Linux Could Prevent Use of 4,200,000,000 kg of Fossil Fuels a Year
>
> NZ needs to take note too. why should we all be locked in on an
> obsolescence treadmill dictated by Microsoft and Intel.

Because it keeps the GDP up. Read keeps the economy growing well. ;-

peterwn

On Jan 25, 5:48 pm, Gordon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 2008-01-24, peterwn <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> > See:

> >http://groups.google.co.nz/group/com.../browse_frm/th...

> > or

> >http://tinyurl.com/2v9ke7

> > ,----[ Quote ]
> >| A new report from the U.K. Office of Government Commerce about Open
> >| Source Software Trials in Government, has found that servers running
> >| Linux could combat the rising problem of e-waste because they last
> >| up to twice as long as machines running Windows.
> > `----

> > Linux Could Prevent Use of 4,200,000,000 kg of Fossil Fuels a Year

> > NZ needs to take note too. why should we all be locked in on an
> > obsolescence treadmill dictated by Microsoft and Intel.

> Because it keeps the GDP up. Read keeps the economy growing well. ;-

I could not care a hoot about China's or Redmond's GDP - it is not
going to keep the NZ GDP up.

Now Billy boy wants the US Government to 'pork barrel' foreign aid to
third world countries so they can buy Micro$oft loaded computers.

Fred Dagg

On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 00:18:19 -0800 (PST), peterwn
<(E-Mail Removed)> exclaimed:

>Linux Could Prevent Use of 4,200,000,000 kg of Fossil Fuels a Year

ROFLMAO!!! I mean, really, LOL!!!

I see you're still talking out of your arse.

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarweb "Gordon" typed:
> On 2008-01-24, peterwn <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> See:
>>
>> http://groups.google.co.nz/group/com...93bb67d6af0954
>>
>> or
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/2v9ke7
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> A new report from the U.K. Office of Government Commerce about Open
>>> Source Software Trials in Government, has found that servers running
>>> Linux could combat the rising problem of e-waste because they last
>>> up to twice as long as machines running Windows.

>> `----
>>
>> Linux Could Prevent Use of 4,200,000,000 kg of Fossil Fuels a Year
>>
>> NZ needs to take note too. why should we all be locked in on an
>> obsolescence treadmill dictated by Microsoft and Intel.

> Because it keeps the GDP up. Read keeps the economy growing well. ;-

LOL, yeah, who gives a **** if we don't have a planet to live on, as long as
the GDP is all good. ;-]
--
Shaun.

peterwn

On Jan 25, 10:30 pm, Fred Dagg <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 00:18:19 -0800 (PST), peterwn
> <(E-Mail Removed)> exclaimed:
>

> >Linux Could Prevent Use of 4,200,000,000 kg of Fossil Fuels a Year

> ROFLMAO!!! I mean, really, LOL!!!
>
> I see you're still talking out of your arse.

So I take it, that is the most meaningful contribution Micro$oft via
its shills can make to this important matter. About time Micro$oft
sacked its chief shill-herder.

RecyclerMan (Robert Cooze)

peterwn wrote:
> See:
>
> http://groups.google.co.nz/group/com...93bb67d6af0954
>
> or
>
> http://tinyurl.com/2v9ke7
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | A new report from the U.K. Office of Government Commerce about Open
> | Source Software Trials in Government, has found that servers running
> | Linux could combat the rising problem of e-waste because they last
> | up to twice as long as machines running Windows.
> `----
>
> Linux Could Prevent Use of 4,200,000,000 kg of Fossil Fuels a Year
>
> NZ needs to take note too. why should we all be locked in on an
> obsolescence treadmill dictated by Microsoft and Intel.

Does It sound good?
I dont know!

You see some components on a Pc Motherbord only have a limited life!
Like a light bulb and others just have a time span fom manufacture. Old
hardware is ok for the home or if you have plenty of scrap spaires lying
arroud. But if you have a Enterprise setup you want hardware relibility.
New is the way to go with a replacemt date and paln. It does not matter
what OS you are using Broken Hardware is broken Hardware and Hardware
breaks with Age!

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarweb "RecyclerMan (Robert Cooze)"
<""nopants66\"@hotmail.c o m" typed:
> peterwn wrote:
>> See:
>>
>> http://groups.google.co.nz/group/com...93bb67d6af0954
>>
>> or
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/2v9ke7
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> A new report from the U.K. Office of Government Commerce about Open
>>> Source Software Trials in Government, has found that servers running
>>> Linux could combat the rising problem of e-waste because they last
>>> up to twice as long as machines running Windows.

>> `----
>>
>> Linux Could Prevent Use of 4,200,000,000 kg of Fossil Fuels a Year
>>
>> NZ needs to take note too. why should we all be locked in on an
>> obsolescence treadmill dictated by Microsoft and Intel.

> Does It sound good?
> I dont know!
>
> You see some components on a Pc Motherbord only have a limited life!
> Like a light bulb and others just have a time span fom manufacture.
> Old hardware is ok for the home or if you have plenty of scrap
> spaires lying arroud. But if you have a Enterprise setup you want
> hardware relibility. New is the way to go with a replacemt date and
> paln. It does not matter what OS you are using Broken Hardware is
> broken Hardware and Hardware breaks with Age!

Cheaply-made hardware breaks with age. I know that includes just about all
Dell/HP/Compaq... at least non-server-class equipment.

However, since the bad capacitor debacle there's no reason why a modern
non-budget motherboard shouldn't last for many, many years. Same with the
RAM and CPU. If you start with quality components these days the only things
likely to "break with age" are mechanical components like HDDs and optical
drives.

I guess the moral of the story is; If you buy quality and maintain it (blow
out dust periodically) there's no reason why you can't use it for decades,
just imaging (from a new install of course) and replacing the HDDs and CMOS
batteries every three years (or whatever arbitrary time you want to put on
it).

My latest motherboard is an Asus P5K-E which has no "wet" electrolytic caps,
(the most common point-of-failure historically) they're all conductive
polymer caps and, as such, shouldn't fail for a very long time. It's also
capable of running the 45nm Intel CPUs so I should be able to replace my
Core 2 Duo with a 'Penryn' Core 2 Quad in about 18 months or so when they
become more affordable. Hopefully the core of this machine will last me 10
years at least, maybe a lot longer.

I have a couple of five year old Soltek nForce2 Ultra400 mobos here that are
still running just fine, although I've had to re-cap them. I don't see why
they shouldn't keep going for a few years at least yet. Maybe by then I'll
be able to source conductive polymer caps at a reasonable price to put in
those too.

I guess that my point is quality solid-state components used in situations
with 'tolerances' have very long life-times. The only reasons I can see to
be stuck in a three-year complete machine replacement cycle is:

a) They're cheaply made to start with.
b) The users are in that small minority who actually *need* a power upgrade.
c) It's easier to plug in a new machine than it is to 'refurbish' an older
one and replace the HDD.
d) <shrug> We can write them off, they've already been depreciated 80%
anyway. <shrug/don't give a **** about the environment>

Modern CPUs have all the power that a
receptionist/data-entry/average-office-worker will ever need as long as they
don't buy into OS and App. bloat. All that is needed is wise choices when
purchasing (maybe spending a bit more to get a quality machine) and, as
mentioned, perhaps HDD replacement every few years, until solid-state
storage is affordable enough to supercede HDDs.

I think that the government needs to recognise this with changes to the
depreciation system for computers, with maybe a bigger first-year bonus if
the machines fit a certain (potential designed-for longevity) spec. Is it
going to happen? Not likely. We'll be engaging in rampant consumerism all
the way to our deaths most likely. Ideally the government should instigate
this policy for all computers imported into NZ, not just those designed for
business use. We've lead the world before in 'Green' legislation, perhaps
it's time to do it again?

Ok, the next-gen Intel "Nehalem" CPUs due out around Q2 '09 are going to
need radically different motherboards as the memory controller is going to
be integrated into the CPU (a la AMD) which does away with the need for a
northbridge. Hence today's latest and greatest motherboards won't be able to
utilise these CPUs and the (Penryn) CPUs being released now and for the next
few months or more will be obsolete in a year if we let Intel have it's way.
Is it progress or is it simply a way to part people from money? A little of
both I think, weighted toward the getting money side.

We need to make a conscious effort to step off the consumerism-driven
treadmill. A quality motherboard bought today should have the potential to
provide enough computing power for 95% of users for many, many years. (A
quad-core 'Penryn' 45nm CPU is a force to be reckoned with.) As long as we
don't continue swallow the "Win-tel" partnership of Intel making the CPUs
and Microsoft building an OS that eats the CPU power.

I'm no Linux advocate. In fact I don't run a Linux machine. However, I'll
*never* run Vista or any later Microsoft OS unless it's specifically
designed to be light on CPU requirements and is an improvement over XP Pro.
(In fact I'm watching XP updates carefully as I wouldn't put it past MS to
slowly cripple XP in an effort to get the users to "upgrade". If Microsoft
doen't fulfill my needs then I'l have to look elsewhere for an OS.
(Hopefully it'll be a little more user-friendly and run all my games.)

Two business' call their clients "users", software designers and drugs
suplliers. They both think they've got you hooked. I for one intend to prove
them wrong. I hope that the rest of the world doies the same.

<phew> I've got better things to do on such a nasty/hot day anyway.

TTFN,
--
Shaun.

Fred Dagg

On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 10:46:00 -0800 (PST), peterwn
<(E-Mail Removed)> exclaimed:

>On Jan 25, 10:30 pm, Fred Dagg <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 00:18:19 -0800 (PST), peterwn
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> exclaimed:
>>

>> >Linux Could Prevent Use of 4,200,000,000 kg of Fossil Fuels a Year

>> ROFLMAO!!! I mean, really, LOL!!!
>>
>> I see you're still talking out of your arse.

>So I take it, that is the most meaningful contribution Micro$oft via
>its shills can make to this important matter. About time Micro$oft
>sacked its chief shill-herder.

Well considering I haven't been around these parts for some time, I'm
not a very effective shill.

I mean seriously, though, do you honestly believe the bullshit you
post? Really?

Just trying to work out if you're a simply bullshit artist or are just
really gullible.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In article <479a3ace$(E-Mail Removed)>, RecyclerMan (Robert Cooze) did
write:

> But if you have a Enterprise setup you want hardware relibility.
> New is the way to go with a replacemt date and paln. It does not matter
> what OS you are using Broken Hardware is broken Hardware and Hardware
> breaks with Age!

No it doesn't. It breaks largely at random. New hardware can break under
warranty. Old hardware can keep on chugging for years--it's hard to predict
what will break when. Replacing computer stuff that isn't broken doesn't
improve reliability, it just increases costs.

And yes, there are enterprises still relying on old servers that have been
running quite happily, forgotten, in the back of a closet for years.