Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > mp3 player

mp3 player

aoksite1@gmail.com

On Jan 24, 6:39 pm, dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
>
> SAZ <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > (E-Mail Removed) says...

> > > Because that isn't the only consideration in the world?

> > You can be as self-righteous as you want.

> To say that it is not the only consideration is not self
> righteous, it is just a salute in the direction of self respect...
>
> --
> dorayme

I believe the OP has left the building...LOL.

Daniel

http://a-ok-site.com

Jeff

> On Jan 24, 6:39 pm, dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
>>
>> SAZ <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>>> (E-Mail Removed) says...
>>> You can be as self-righteous as you want.

>> To say that it is not the only consideration is not self
>> righteous, it is just a salute in the direction of self respect...
>>
>> --
>> dorayme

> I believe the OP has left the building...LOL.

Out the door, but not quite gone. I peeked back in to see if anything
relevant had happened. Nope. Same old argument between the pragmatists
and the ideologues.

Jeff

> Daniel
>
> http://a-ok-site.com

Neredbojias

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Thu, 24 Jan 2008 22:28:02
GMT SAZ scribed:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> (E-Mail Removed) says...
>> SAZ wrote:
>>
>> > A lesson in this business that I learned a long time ago - do what
>> > the customer wants, no matter how stupid it seems. Why give the
>> > work (and money) to someone else?

>> Because that isn't the only consideration in the world?
>>

> You can be as self-righteous as you want. You can advise against
> something all day, but if the client wants it and it's legal, give it
> to him or be prepared to lose the business.

There is no disagreement with that statement. The discussion is about
whether to do it regardless for other reasons, and legal is not always
ethical or just.

> Anyone who has any kind of business sense knows that it's cheaper and
> easier to keep a customer than find a new one.

How profound. But how cheap do you sell yourself to keep that customer?

--
Neredbojias
Riches are their own reward.

Neredbojias

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Fri, 25 Jan 2008 00:39:56
GMT dorayme scribed:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
> SAZ <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>> (E-Mail Removed) says...

>> > Because that isn't the only consideration in the world?
>> >

>> You can be as self-righteous as you want.

> To say that it is not the only consideration is not self
> righteous, it is just a salute in the direction of self respect...

That's the second thing you've said in this thread that I've liked...

Unfortunately, the other stuff blows.

--
Neredbojias
Riches are their own reward.

Jeff

Neredbojias wrote:
> Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Thu, 24 Jan 2008 22:28:02
> GMT SAZ scribed:
>
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>> (E-Mail Removed) says...

>>> Because that isn't the only consideration in the world?
>>>

>> You can be as self-righteous as you want. You can advise against
>> something all day, but if the client wants it and it's legal, give it
>> to him or be prepared to lose the business.

> There is no disagreement with that statement. The discussion is about
> whether to do it regardless for other reasons, and legal is not always
> ethical or just.
>
>> Anyone who has any kind of business sense knows that it's cheaper and
>> easier to keep a customer than find a new one.

> How profound. But how cheap do you sell yourself to keep that customer?

Just how high and mighty do you think you are?

This whole thread is about background music on one of the pages of one
of my clients. That's a little cheesy, but it hardly means I've sold
myself cheaply. Now, I've listened to that music I resisted, and I've
come to the conclusion that if it makes my client and her visitors happy
(it's a metaphysical type site) than why not. Why should she, her
clients, or myself care if you want to throw a righteous hissy fit.

Jeff

cwdjrxyz

On Jan 24, 12:01 pm, "Jonathan N. Little" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> Been using it for years. While you're at it remove that even nastier
> produce Real One Player and replace with Real Alternative
>
> http://www.free-codecs.com/download/...lternative.htm

Yes, if Real 11 available for your OS, you should remove Real One now,
even if you like it, because the Real 11 is just out of beta where it
had been for some time.

I have WMP11, Real11, QT, iTunes, Winamp, AVS, GOM, FLV, Media Player
Classic, Nero Show Time, Cyberlink PowerDVD, and Nero Media Player all
installed. By far the most nasty is the Nero Media Player. It very
often grabs media files for itself that have been assigned to other
players as primary. This player is part of a large Nero suite. When I
get time, I likely will remove it if that is not too much trouble. If
you carefully assign what player is primary for what media file type
and do not have conflicts, the mentioned players usually all work well
together. You have to watch out when you download a new player and
select the advanced setting for file types it offers to play. The best
thing to do is not check any file types. Then come back and check file
types as you need them to be primary on the new player. If you have
WinPatrol installed, it usually will catch a player trying to steal
files from another, and you must approve the change before WinPatrol
will let it happen. I use most of the players just for checking web
pages to see if they will work properly on a file type. If you use a
player only for testing, you can set it to be primary for no file
types. Then when you want to use the player, you first bring it up and
usually under the file tab you choose to enter a local media file or a
url. Also, it is important not to allow all of the players to start up
when you turn the computer on, or you may have a very long wait.

It is true that Apple now offers the QT download along with iTunes.
None of the players are very big files on comparison to many high
resolution video files when you often use several 1 GB vob files for a
single feature link movie. Even iTunes/QT downloads fairly fast on a
good high broadband connection if their server is not overloaded. I
usually do long downloads at night. However some of the players would
be rather slow downloads on dialup.

SAZ

In article <Xns9A2FD3CD72AAnanopandaneredbojias@85.214.90.236 >,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Thu, 24 Jan 2008 22:28:02
> GMT SAZ scribed:
>
> > In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > (E-Mail Removed) says...

> >> Because that isn't the only consideration in the world?
> >>

> > You can be as self-righteous as you want. You can advise against
> > something all day, but if the client wants it and it's legal, give it
> > to him or be prepared to lose the business.

> There is no disagreement with that statement. The discussion is about
> whether to do it regardless for other reasons, and legal is not always
> ethical or just.
>
> > Anyone who has any kind of business sense knows that it's cheaper and
> > easier to keep a customer than find a new one.

> How profound. But how cheap do you sell yourself to keep that customer?

Cheap is relative. My clients pay me $75/hour to do whatever they want.

Jeff

cwdjrxyz wrote:
> On Jan 24, 12:01 pm, "Jonathan N. Little" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> Been using it for years. While you're at it remove that even nastier
>> produce Real One Player and replace with Real Alternative
>>
>> http://www.free-codecs.com/download/...lternative.htm

> Yes, if Real 11 available for your OS, you should remove Real One now,
> even if you like it, because the Real 11 is just out of beta where it
> had been for some time.

Man, what has happened to all these players? I remember using the
real player in it's earliest incarnations and it was the coolest thing.
Streaming audio over a 14.4 connection (and sounding pretty good at
56k), and it never tried to do anything but push the content you wanted.
You could adjust it so it only had the features you wanted. Now
everything looks like a flash component and it takes guess work just to
figure out how it works.

It would be nice if they did what you needed rather than look gorgeous.

Jeff

> I have WMP11, Real11, QT, iTunes, Winamp, AVS, GOM, FLV, Media Player
> Classic, Nero Show Time, Cyberlink PowerDVD, and Nero Media Player all
> installed. By far the most nasty is the Nero Media Player. It very
> often grabs media files for itself that have been assigned to other
> players as primary. This player is part of a large Nero suite. When I
> get time, I likely will remove it if that is not too much trouble. If
> you carefully assign what player is primary for what media file type
> and do not have conflicts, the mentioned players usually all work well
> together. You have to watch out when you download a new player and
> select the advanced setting for file types it offers to play. The best
> thing to do is not check any file types. Then come back and check file
> types as you need them to be primary on the new player. If you have
> WinPatrol installed, it usually will catch a player trying to steal
> files from another, and you must approve the change before WinPatrol
> will let it happen. I use most of the players just for checking web
> pages to see if they will work properly on a file type. If you use a
> player only for testing, you can set it to be primary for no file
> types. Then when you want to use the player, you first bring it up and
> usually under the file tab you choose to enter a local media file or a
> url. Also, it is important not to allow all of the players to start up
> when you turn the computer on, or you may have a very long wait.
>
> It is true that Apple now offers the QT download along with iTunes.
> None of the players are very big files on comparison to many high
> resolution video files when you often use several 1 GB vob files for a
> single feature link movie. Even iTunes/QT downloads fairly fast on a
> good high broadband connection if their server is not overloaded. I
> usually do long downloads at night. However some of the players would
> be rather slow downloads on dialup.

Neredbojias

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Fri, 25 Jan 2008 04:23:20
GMT Jeff scribed:

>>> You can be as self-righteous as you want. You can advise against
>>> something all day, but if the client wants it and it's legal, give it
>>> to him or be prepared to lose the business.

>> There is no disagreement with that statement. The discussion is about
>> whether to do it regardless for other reasons, and legal is not always
>> ethical or just.
>>
>>> Anyone who has any kind of business sense knows that it's cheaper and
>>> easier to keep a customer than find a new one.

>> How profound. But how cheap do you sell yourself to keep that

customer?

> Just how high and mighty do you think you are?

5'8", 155lbs. of pure ****-powered man-meat. Hell, I could tie
Schwarzeneggar in a knot before he had time to move if I hit him below
the belt.

> This whole thread is about background music on one of the pages of one
> of my clients.

Not exactly, but in any case my reply was to a message about giving the
client what he wants.

> That's a little cheesy, but it hardly means I've sold
> myself cheaply. Now, I've listened to that music I resisted, and I've
> come to the conclusion that if it makes my client and her visitors
> happy (it's a metaphysical type site) than why not.

Because as I implied and Harlan Messinger stated more directly, there are
other considerations. However, it doesn't mean you "sold yourself
cheaply", either. I was speaking in general terms with that.

> Why should she, her
> clients, or myself care if you want to throw a righteous hissy fit.

Perhaps one or more of them are members of Hissy Fittists Anonymous. Who
knows?

--
Neredbojias
Riches are their own reward.

Neredbojias

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Fri, 25 Jan 2008 14:39:33 GMT
SAZ scribed:

> In article <Xns9A2FD3CD72AAnanopandaneredbojias@85.214.90.236 >,
> (E-Mail Removed) says...
>> Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Thu, 24 Jan 2008 22:28:02
>> GMT SAZ scribed:
>>
>> > In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>> > (E-Mail Removed) says...

>> > You can be as self-righteous as you want. You can advise against
>> > something all day, but if the client wants it and it's legal, give it
>> > to him or be prepared to lose the business.

>> There is no disagreement with that statement. The discussion is about
>> whether to do it regardless for other reasons, and legal is not always
>> ethical or just.
>>
>> > Anyone who has any kind of business sense knows that it's cheaper and
>> > easier to keep a customer than find a new one.

>> How profound. But how cheap do you sell yourself to keep that customer?
>>

> Cheap is relative. My clients pay me $75/hour to do whatever they want.

Well, I get $110/hour and set the limits, so I guess it _is_ relative.

--
Neredbojias
Riches are their own reward.