Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > mp3 player

mp3 player

Jeff

> On Jan 23, 10:49 pm, Jeff <jeff@spam_me_not.com> wrote:
>> dorayme wrote:
>>> I use Quicktime or iTunes or (quite often the brilliant Preview
>>> feature in the Finder on Mac) I think at least you can get the
>>> first two free for a PC?

>> Many thanks. I'd completely forgotten about quicktime. And with that bit
>> of a hint I found the object/embed code.
>>
>> Thanks again,
>> Jeff

> Jeff,
>
> You really need to stay away from Quicktime it is not used by most
> people and requires a lengthy download to use, and it tends to take
> over a person's computer like a nasty virus. It is much better to
> embed Windows media player because it is more universal and in most
> instances requires no download by the user. For W3C valid code and a
> complete tutorial on how to use visit http://a-ok-site.com/webdesign/embed_files.html
> or do a Google search for embedding media files.

Thanks, I had found a flash component and used that, but I have another
bit I need to do and will use the WMP. Times change. I know at one tim
eit would have been the other way.

Jeff

> Daniel
>
> http://a-ok-site.com

Jonathan N. Little

Adrienne Boswell wrote:
> Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "(E-Mail Removed)" <aoksite1
> @gmail.com> writing in news:57c08e68-a329-4cbb-9c59-0f6f3bf9b6d5
> @s13g2000prd.googlegroups.com:
>
>> You really need to stay away from Quicktime it is not used by most
>> people and requires a lengthy download to use, and it tends to take
>> over a person's computer like a nasty virus.

> There are ways to stop Quicktime and others from doing this. Try using
> Startup Monitor from Mike Lin [www.mlin.net/]. It sits in memory (very
> small), and stops things from trying to load on start. He also has StartUp
> Control Panel, which allows you to get to all the things that are already
> there, that you might not want. I've been using both for years, and
> recommend them highly.

Better idea, uninstall the nasty thing and install open source Quicktime
Alternative that knows how to keeps in its place...

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/...lternative.htm

Been using it for years. While you're at it remove that even nastier
produce Real One Player and replace with Real Alternative

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/...lternative.htm

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Neredbojias

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Thu, 24 Jan 2008 16:11:39
GMT (E-Mail Removed) scribed:

>> > I use Quicktime or iTunes or (quite often the brilliant Preview
>> > feature in the Finder on Mac) I think at least you can get the
>> > first two free for a PC?

>> Many thanks. I'd completely forgotten about quicktime. And with that
>> bit of a hint I found the object/embed code.

> Jeff,
>
> You really need to stay away from Quicktime it is not used by most
> people and requires a lengthy download to use, and it tends to take
> over a person's computer like a nasty virus. It is much better to
> embed Windows media player because it is more universal and in most
> instances requires no download by the user. For W3C valid code and a
> complete tutorial on how to use visit
> http://a-ok-site.com/webdesign/embed_files.html or do a Google search
> for embedding media files.

I totally agree and second this. There may be insulators as Adrienne has
suggested, but why deal with crap in the first place? And Jeff, if the
user doesn't have Quicktime/(generic) on his box, it won't work.

--
Neredbojias
Riches are their own reward.

Neredbojias

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Thu, 24 Jan 2008 13:45:25
GMT SAZ scribed:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, jeff@spam_me_not.com
> says...

>> > Oh my GAWD! Autoplay??!!! Did your mother drop you on your head?
>> > Is your underwear too tight? Are you a sadist in the making? Did
>> > dodo cast a spell on your eternal psyche? What in tarnation is
>> > WRONG with you, son???
>> >

>> My client insisted, I resisted, she got someone else to do it and
>> it
>> damaged our relationship.
>>
>> I'm in no mood for any of this.
>>
>> Jeff
>>

> A lesson in this business that I learned a long time ago - do what the
> customer wants, no matter how stupid it seems. Why give the work (and
> money) to someone else?

Well, yes, as I told Travis, that's irrefutable in a sense. And in some
(desperate) cases, I would do it. However, I'm basically one of those
American employees who have not yet assimilated the same loss of ethics as
their employers so under any but the most dire circumstances I will refuse
certain things I do not well-abide.

--
Neredbojias
Riches are their own reward.

Harlan Messinger

SAZ wrote:

> A lesson in this business that I learned a long time ago - do what the
> customer wants, no matter how stupid it seems. Why give the work (and
> money) to someone else?

Because that isn't the only consideration in the world?

SAZ

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> SAZ wrote:
>
> > A lesson in this business that I learned a long time ago - do what the
> > customer wants, no matter how stupid it seems. Why give the work (and
> > money) to someone else?

> Because that isn't the only consideration in the world?

You can be as self-righteous as you want. You can advise against
something all day, but if the client wants it and it's legal, give it to
him or be prepared to lose the business.

Anyone who has any kind of business sense knows that it's cheaper and
easier to keep a customer than find a new one.

Harlan Messinger

SAZ wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> (E-Mail Removed) says...
>> SAZ wrote:
>>
>>> A lesson in this business that I learned a long time ago - do what the
>>> customer wants, no matter how stupid it seems. Why give the work (and
>>> money) to someone else?

>> Because that isn't the only consideration in the world?
>>

> You can be as self-righteous as you want. You can advise against
> something all day, but if the client wants it and it's legal, give it to
> him or be prepared to lose the business.

I heard you the first time. And then you asked, "why give the work to
someone else?" And I responded, "because [keeping the client's business]
isn't the only consideration in the world." You asked a question and I
answered it. I don't care if you don't like the answer. It's the answer.

> Anyone who has any kind of business sense knows that it's cheaper and
> easier to keep a customer than find a new one.

And again: that isn't the only consideration in the world. You may
choose to ignore as many of the other considerations as you like, but
they are still there, and I'm sure you would start to agree if your
client said to keep his business you, for example, must have an arm
removed. So please get off *your* high horse about how keeping a client
is the only consideration worth caring about.

SAZ

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> SAZ wrote:
> > In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > (E-Mail Removed) says...

> >> Because that isn't the only consideration in the world?
> >>

> > You can be as self-righteous as you want. You can advise against
> > something all day, but if the client wants it and it's legal, give it to
> > him or be prepared to lose the business.

> I heard you the first time. And then you asked, "why give the work to
> someone else?" And I responded, "because [keeping the client's business]
> isn't the only consideration in the world." You asked a question and I
> answered it. I don't care if you don't like the answer. It's the answer.
>
> > Anyone who has any kind of business sense knows that it's cheaper and
> > easier to keep a customer than find a new one.

> And again: that isn't the only consideration in the world. You may
> choose to ignore as many of the other considerations as you like, but
> they are still there, and I'm sure you would start to agree if your
> client said to keep his business you, for example, must have an arm
> removed. So please get off *your* high horse about how keeping a client
> is the only consideration worth caring about.

I hardly see where your analogy of having an arm removed is the same as
giving the customer an mp3 player on the site.

I'm not on a high horse. Those of us with successful, profitable
businesses will agree - keeping the client happy is paramount.

Harlan Messinger

SAZ wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> (E-Mail Removed) says...
>> SAZ wrote:
>>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>>> (E-Mail Removed) says...

>>> You can be as self-righteous as you want. You can advise against
>>> something all day, but if the client wants it and it's legal, give it to
>>> him or be prepared to lose the business.

>> I heard you the first time. And then you asked, "why give the work to
>> someone else?" And I responded, "because [keeping the client's business]
>> isn't the only consideration in the world." You asked a question and I
>> answered it. I don't care if you don't like the answer. It's the answer.
>>
>>> Anyone who has any kind of business sense knows that it's cheaper and
>>> easier to keep a customer than find a new one.

>> And again: that isn't the only consideration in the world. You may
>> choose to ignore as many of the other considerations as you like, but
>> they are still there, and I'm sure you would start to agree if your
>> client said to keep his business you, for example, must have an arm
>> removed. So please get off *your* high horse about how keeping a client
>> is the only consideration worth caring about.
>>

> I hardly see where your analogy of having an arm removed is the same as
> giving the customer an mp3 player on the site.

The point of an analogy is to highlight something that isn't obvious in
the original case. Therefore, the thing being compared to is likely to
be more *extreme*. That doesn't mean it isn't *relevant*. The point here
is that your attitude "there is nothing in this world worth considering
other than whether you keep your client", expressed as an axiom, is not one.

dorayme

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
SAZ <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> (E-Mail Removed) says...
> > SAZ wrote:
> >
> > > A lesson in this business that I learned a long time ago - do what the
> > > customer wants, no matter how stupid it seems. Why give the work (and
> > > money) to someone else?

> > Because that isn't the only consideration in the world?
> >

> You can be as self-righteous as you want.

To say that it is not the only consideration is not self
righteous, it is just a salute in the direction of self respect...

--
dorayme