Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Universal & Paramount's HUGE Catalogs HD-DVD has 43% of titiles avaliable just from those studios.

Universal & Paramount's HUGE Catalogs HD-DVD has 43% of titiles avaliable just from those studios.

K. Ulicni

On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 02:23:28 +0000, ??????
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>This is something I'm wondering about and I suppose I won't know until I
>see it for myself, but are movies from 30 years ago (for example,
>Superman: The Movie) really gonna look any better than they did on dvd?

Anything shot on film will look better in HD as long as the film is in
good shape. If it was shot on video it depends on the quality of the
original.

Calab

> True, but you have to admit, Atari is better than Commodore.

I dunno...

The C64 was an abortion as far as programming goes, but it did do some stuff
that wasn't possible on the Atari.

If Commodore hadn't burned Atari and bought out the Amiga things would be
very different today.

Iridium

"Chris F" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 08:51:33 GMT, "sima" <@.simawashere> wrote:
>

>>> Who the **** is a 'fanboy' of a format? That's just pathetic.

>>unless he's bought a HD drive and he got to justify on usenet why he
>>thinks
>>its still alive before he slits his wrist
>>

> meh, i've got one, got it for christmas. can't say i'm arsed even if
> it does "die" cos there's still plenty of good films available in the
> format that'll do me.
>
> i'm sure i'll end up with a PS3, or a bluray player at least, at some
> point as well.
>
> the whole "My HD video format is better than yours!" thing really is
> sad beyond belief.

Bingo. I might get a PS3 in the future if they ever get round to releasing
any good games - then Blu Ray will win for me I guess. If I don't, I
probably won't buy a dedicated player for either seen as none-HD/BR DVDs
will be around forever (well, a good 10 years) anyway.

--
Dan
Clio V6 #57

Tarkus

Iridium wrote:
> Bingo. I might get a PS3 in the future if they ever get round to releasing
> any good games - then Blu Ray will win for me I guess. If I don't, I
> probably won't buy a dedicated player for either seen as none-HD/BR DVDs
> will be around forever (well, a good 10 years) anyway.

Neither will SD DVDs nor any other format that comes along. So I guess
you just do without when it comes to home theater?

Bill R

Beta Ray wrote:

> Beta Ray is still in Beta testing.
>
> Thanks

Do you think that your stupid posts in multiple groups is going to save
HD DVD? Its not!

And we all wonder what ax you have to grind?
--
Bill R.

Remove nospam_ and x in e-mail address to reply by e-mail

Bikini Whacks

In article <4798f190$0$1261$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Beta Ray wrote:
>
> > Beta Ray is still in Beta testing.
> >
> > Thanks
> >

> Do you think that your stupid posts in multiple groups is going to save
> HD DVD? Its not!
>
> And we all wonder what ax you have to grind?

Have you tried tooth-bleaching?

Doug Jacobs

In alt.games.video.xbox ?????? <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> This is something I'm wondering about and I suppose I won't know until I
> see it for myself, but are movies from 30 years ago (for example,
> Superman: The Movie) really gonna look any better than they did on dvd?

They COULD if they're remastered into the new resolution. The only reason
this would be possible is if they did it from the original film print, as
opposed to a video master (which some early DVDs used for their material)

--
It's not broken. It's...advanced.

Doug Jacobs

In alt.games.video.xbox Wes Newell <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "In order to allay confusion, the BDA has adopted special labels that
> will be placed on Blu-ray movies. Those with a "Bonus View" sticker will
> require Profile 1.1 players, while those with "BD Live" will require
> Profile 2.0.

Of course! It's so easy! I mean, why use something confusing and unintuitive
like "BR 1.0", "BR 1.1" and "BR 2.0" when you could use things like "Bonus
View" and "BD Live"?!? I mean, geeze, who isn't going to look at a disc
and immediatly know if their Profile 1.1 compliant player will handle a
disc "BD Live" features?

(GAAHH!)

--
It's not broken. It's...advanced.

Doug Jacobs

In alt.games.video.xbox Michael C <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> NO-ONE CARES BECAUSE WE CAN GET HI-DEF FILMS AND TV PROGRAMMES ON DEMAND
> FROM THE INTERNET AND CABLE COMPANIES YOU STUPID ****ING DICKSPLATS.

Except that the stuff off the internet is highly compressed, and neither
cable or satellite are using 1080p right now. HD, yes, but not quite as
good as the quality you'll get with HD-DVD or Blu-Ray.

As for which is better...they're the same in my eyes. They use the same
codecs, store the same sort of material, and the true differences between
them are only important to computer users (blu-ray can hold more 1s and 0s
than HD-DVD) or true home-theater fanatics.

--
It's not broken. It's...advanced.

Chris F

On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 11:27:42 -0800, Tarkus
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Iridium wrote:
>> Bingo. I might get a PS3 in the future if they ever get round to releasing
>> any good games - then Blu Ray will win for me I guess. If I don't, I
>> probably won't buy a dedicated player for either seen as none-HD/BR DVDs
>> will be around forever (well, a good 10 years) anyway.

>Neither will SD DVDs nor any other format that comes along. So I guess
>you just do without when it comes to home theater?

i think you struggled to read his post.

SD DVD will be around for years to come yet, many years.

do you really think that if hd-dvd or bluray finally 'wins', movie
companies are instantly going to stop producing DVDs?

if so, you are ****ing mental.

DVD will be around for a loooong time yet.