Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > History OF Power Supply

History OF Power Supply

Jeff Strickland

"Neil Green" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:47993089$0$12542$(E-Mail Removed) u...

> Yes but if the PC is adequate for his needs then it could well still be
> viable.
> Some of the branded PC's have odd shaped PSU's designed specifically for a
> particular case, but these can still be sourced after market for a
> reasonable price, it depends where he or she is located.
> On another note, what is your opinion of Vista as opposed to XP?

I have Vista Home, and it works okay. The OS seems robust enough, but the
user interface is different than past Windows products.

It is able to take advantage of the wide screen monitor -- there are useful
programs that run on the edge of the screen -- better than XP. All told
though, I think I prefer XP Pro to Vista. Having said that, my Vista machine
is in a common area in my home, and I do not use it much, and I have a
dedicated machine that nobody else in my house uses that runs XP.

When I set up my network, Vista does stuff by itself, and I found it to be
confusing because I want to do things that I find have already been done. I
also find the dialog boxes have been changed -- Add and Remove Programs is
no longer there, and the icon that does this job is in Personal Settings, or
some such place. Vista makes sense, sorta, and if you have no prior Windows
experience, Vista is fine. The trouble I have is that I have lots of Windows
experience, and Vista is nothing like the experience I already have.

Vista to XP is sort of like the similarities in IE7 and IE6. IE7 works okay,
but it is so much different than IE6, I'm resisting the change for as long
as I can.

> I've yet to migrate, and can't find a compelling reason, so I'd be
> interested to hear what you consider the advantages to be.

I migrated because they do not sell machines with XP anymore. I bought a new
machine over the summer, and it came loaded with Vista. I thought about
wiping the hard drive and installing XP, but the way they validate the OS
would mean I would have to pay another license fee. I have not found any
issues relative to the peripherials and Vista, but I've heard there are
some. My new machine also came with Office 2007 (which I think is
exclusively intended for use with Vista). It was a teaser copy that I have
to activate and pay a fee to use after 90 days. I removed it and installed
Office 2003, which is the version they came out with for XP. Office XP works
fine on my Vista machine.

I would not encourage anybody to make the change for the sake of making a
change. If your machine goes belly up and you have to replace it, then you
will probably be forced to make the change to Vista at that time. Or, if you
simply need to add a machine to your fleet, you will likely be forced to add
a Vista machine. My Vista machine plays reasonably well with my XP Home and
XP Pro machines.

Neil Green

"Jeff Strickland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> "Neil Green" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> message
> news:47993089$0$12542$(E-Mail Removed) u...
>>
>> Yes but if the PC is adequate for his needs then it
>> could well still be viable.
>> Some of the branded PC's have odd shaped PSU's
>> designed specifically for a particular case, but
>> these can still be sourced after market for a
>> reasonable price, it depends where he or she is
>> located.
>> On another note, what is your opinion of Vista as
>> opposed to XP?

> I have Vista Home, and it works okay. The OS seems
> robust enough, but the user interface is different
> than past Windows products.
>
> It is able to take advantage of the wide screen
> monitor -- there are useful programs that run on the
> edge of the screen -- better than XP. All told
> though, I think I prefer XP Pro to Vista. Having
> said that, my Vista machine is in a common area in
> my home, and I do not use it much, and I have a
> dedicated machine that nobody else in my house uses
> that runs XP.
>
> When I set up my network, Vista does stuff by
> itself, and I found it to be confusing because I
> want to do things that I find have already been
> done. I also find the dialog boxes have been
> changed -- Add and Remove Programs is no longer
> there, and the icon that does this job is in
> Personal Settings, or some such place. Vista makes
> sense, sorta, and if you have no prior Windows
> experience, Vista is fine. The trouble I have is
> that I have lots of Windows experience, and Vista is
> nothing like the experience I already have.
>
> Vista to XP is sort of like the similarities in IE7
> and IE6. IE7 works okay, but it is so much different
> than IE6, I'm resisting the change for as long as I
> can.

I'm using IE7 here and far prefer it to IE6, but to
each their own.

>> I've yet to migrate, and can't find a compelling
>> reason, so I'd be interested to hear what you
>> consider the advantages to be.
>>

> I migrated because they do not sell machines with XP
> anymore. I bought a new machine over the summer, and
> it came loaded with Vista. I thought about wiping
> the hard drive and installing XP, but the way they
> validate the OS would mean I would have to pay
> another license fee. I have not found any issues
> relative to the peripherials and Vista, but I've
> heard there are some. My new machine also came with
> Office 2007 (which I think is exclusively intended
> for use with Vista). It was a teaser copy that I
> have to activate and pay a fee to use after 90 days.
> I removed it and installed Office 2003, which is the
> version they came out with for XP. Office XP works
> fine on my Vista machine.
>
> I would not encourage anybody to make the change for
> the sake of making a change. If your machine goes
> belly up and you have to replace it, then you will
> probably be forced to make the change to Vista at
> that time. Or, if you simply need to add a machine
> to your fleet, you will likely be forced to add a
> Vista machine. My Vista machine plays reasonably
> well with my XP Home and XP Pro machines.

That's pretty much as I thought.
I recently built a new machine which would run Vista
easily but all the people I've spoken to have
suggested that it's probably not worth the trouble or
expense.
I have a volume license key for XP Pro through work so
it installed on the new machine without any problems
but if I wanted to run Vista it would be at my
expense.
As far as Office goes I was using Office 97 until
recently which was pefectly capable for my purposes.
I'm not sure what Office 2007 does but most users
would be lucky to use 20% of the features.
If and when MS stop supporting XP and there's no
alternative to a new OS I may seriously consider
Linux, which should be quite user friendly by then.