Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > History OF Power Supply

History OF Power Supply

chronicboy11@hotmail.com

Can someone pleeeaassse tell me if there ever was a BAT PSU I dont
know what the hell that is
i only know that there was ATX PSU

Paul

> Can someone pleeeaassse tell me if there ever was a BAT PSU I dont
> know what the hell that is
> i only know that there was ATX PSU

Modern power supplies are switch-mode, in which case you might want
to look into that area.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Switched-mode_power_supply
http://www.steve-w.dircon.co.uk/flea...il/history.htm

Maybe instead of "BAT PSU", you mean "AT PSU", as AT was
the PC standard before ATX ? An AT power supply doesn't have
"soft off" capability, and the power is split into two
connectors (P8, P9).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_power_supply

Otherwise, provide some context as to where we'd find this
"BAT" thing.

Paul

chronicboy11@hotmail.com

On Jan 23, 4:45*pm, Paul <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > Can someone pleeeaassse tell me if there ever was a BAT PSU I dont
> > know what the hell that is
> > i only know that there was ATX PSU

> Modern power supplies are switch-mode, in which case you might want
> to look into that area.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Switche...il/history.htm
>
> Maybe instead of "BAT PSU", you mean "AT PSU", as AT was
> the PC standard before ATX ? An AT power supply doesn't have
> "soft off" capability, and the power is split into two
> connectors (P8, P9).
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_power_supply
>
> Otherwise, provide some context as to where we'd find this
> "BAT" thing.
>
> * * Paul

I've seen on some webpages that BAT stands for Baby At.
Someway i'm beginning to think is smaller than the AT formfactor. or
something like that
But I'm looking for a power supply for that motherboard formfactor

Jeff Strickland

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
On Jan 23, 4:45 pm, Paul <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > Can someone pleeeaassse tell me if there ever was a BAT PSU I dont
> > know what the hell that is
> > i only know that there was ATX PSU

> Modern power supplies are switch-mode, in which case you might want
> to look into that area.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Switche...il/history.htm
>
> Maybe instead of "BAT PSU", you mean "AT PSU", as AT was
> the PC standard before ATX ? An AT power supply doesn't have
> "soft off" capability, and the power is split into two
> connectors (P8, P9).
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_power_supply
>
> Otherwise, provide some context as to where we'd find this
> "BAT" thing.
>
> Paul

I've seen on some webpages that BAT stands for Baby At.
Someway i'm beginning to think is smaller than the AT formfactor. or
something like that
But I'm looking for a power supply for that motherboard formfactor

Just pull your power supply and go to a computer store and buy another one
just like it. The form-factor defines the type of system it can be used in.
You may find your power supply at Best Buy, but I think I would be visiting
the computer repair guy down on the corner, or take a trip to Fry's if there
is one within 30-ish miles.

Neil Green

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Jan 23, 4:45 pm, Paul <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> > Can someone pleeeaassse tell me if there ever was
>> > a BAT PSU I dont
>> > know what the hell that is
>> > i only know that there was ATX PSU

>> Modern power supplies are switch-mode, in which
>> case you might want
>> to look into that area.
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Switche...il/history.htm
>>
>> Maybe instead of "BAT PSU", you mean "AT PSU", as
>> AT was
>> the PC standard before ATX ? An AT power supply
>> doesn't have
>> "soft off" capability, and the power is split into
>> two
>> connectors (P8, P9).
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_power_supply
>>
>> Otherwise, provide some context as to where we'd
>> find this
>> "BAT" thing.
>>
>> Paul

> I've seen on some webpages that BAT stands for Baby
> At.
> Someway i'm beginning to think is smaller than the
> AT formfactor. or
> something like that
> But I'm looking for a power supply for that
> motherboard formfactor
>

> Just pull your power supply and go to a computer
> store and buy another one just like it. The
> form-factor defines the type of system it can be
> used in. You may find your power supply at Best Buy,
> but I think I would be visiting the computer repair
> guy down on the corner, or take a trip to Fry's if
> there is one within 30-ish miles.

Some of the proprietary PC's have PSU's not generally
available at the local computer store, and maybe it's
one of these the OP is referring to, and they are
generally smaller than standard.
Some of the HP's and Dells for instance, which
encourages people to source parts from licensed
resellers at exhorbitant prices.
These PSU's can generally be sourced as generics but
not easily, so most users pay double or even triple
the price of a standard PSU when replacing them.
A good argument for buying a non branded PC.

Neil Green

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Can someone pleeeaassse tell me if there ever was a
> BAT PSU I dont
> know what the hell that is
> i only know that there was ATX PSU

It's possible that this refers to a baby AT power
supply, although these are now pretty much obsolete.
What is the make and model of the PC?

Paul

Jeff Strickland wrote:

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Jan 23, 4:45 pm, Paul <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> > Can someone pleeeaassse tell me if there ever was a BAT PSU I dont
>> > know what the hell that is
>> > i only know that there was ATX PSU

>> Modern power supplies are switch-mode, in which case you might want
>> to look into that area.
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Switche...il/history.htm
>>

>> Maybe instead of "BAT PSU", you mean "AT PSU", as AT was
>> the PC standard before ATX ? An AT power supply doesn't have
>> "soft off" capability, and the power is split into two
>> connectors (P8, P9).
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_power_supply
>>
>> Otherwise, provide some context as to where we'd find this
>> "BAT" thing.
>>
>> Paul

> I've seen on some webpages that BAT stands for Baby At.
> Someway i'm beginning to think is smaller than the AT formfactor. or
> something like that
> But I'm looking for a power supply for that motherboard formfactor
>
> Just pull your power supply and go to a computer store and buy another
> one just like it. The form-factor defines the type of system it can be
> used in. You may find your power supply at Best Buy, but I think I would
> be visiting the computer repair guy down on the corner, or take a trip
> to Fry's if there is one within 30-ish miles.

This page claims AT and baby AT have the same P8 and P9 wiring.

http://www.informit.com/articles/art...30273&seqNum=4

P8 and P9 are two six pin connectors.

http://www.informit.com/content/imag...ks/03fig06.jpg

I see a baby AT for sale here, and they say the dimensions are 5.5" x 5.9" x 3.4".
ATX is 150 x 140 x 80mm (5.9" x 5.5" x 3.15"). I expect screw holes and other
mechanical details would cause issues as well. ATX connectors are different
than AT. (One other web page mentioned there are a couple form factors for
AT supplies, and one of those AT types has quite large dimensions. Measuring
the dimensions of the original supply would be a good place to start, and
comparing the power rating is also important. This supply even has a minimum
load spec, which means it doesn't regulate well if less than the minimum current
is drawn.

http://www.cybertronpc.com/Itemdesc~...~PCc~POWER.htm
http://www.nextag.com/Antec-300W-BAT...31/prices-html

http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=23004
+5V @ 30A, -5V @ 1A, +12V @ 10A, -12V @ 1A

I also haven't figured out how you turn it on and off
I guess it is just before my time.

Paul

Jeff Strickland

"Neil Green" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:47990b60$0$26179$(E-Mail Removed) u...

> "Jeff Strickland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>> Modern power supplies are switch-mode, in which case you might want
>>> to look into that area.
>>>
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Switche...il/history.htm
>>>
>>> Maybe instead of "BAT PSU", you mean "AT PSU", as AT was
>>> the PC standard before ATX ? An AT power supply doesn't have
>>> "soft off" capability, and the power is split into two
>>> connectors (P8, P9).
>>>
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_power_supply
>>>
>>> Otherwise, provide some context as to where we'd find this
>>> "BAT" thing.
>>>
>>> Paul

>> I've seen on some webpages that BAT stands for Baby At.
>> Someway i'm beginning to think is smaller than the AT formfactor. or
>> something like that
>> But I'm looking for a power supply for that motherboard formfactor
>>

>> Just pull your power supply and go to a computer store and buy another
>> one just like it. The form-factor defines the type of system it can be
>> used in. You may find your power supply at Best Buy, but I think I would
>> be visiting the computer repair guy down on the corner, or take a trip to
>> Fry's if there is one within 30-ish miles.

> Some of the proprietary PC's have PSU's not generally available at the
> local computer store, and maybe it's one of these the OP is referring to,
> and they are generally smaller than standard.
> Some of the HP's and Dells for instance, which encourages people to source
> parts from licensed resellers at exhorbitant prices.
> These PSU's can generally be sourced as generics but not easily, so most
> users pay double or even triple the price of a standard PSU when replacing
> them.
> A good argument for buying a non branded PC.

I hear what you are saying, but I've replaced 3 or 4 power supplies in HP
and E-machine machines, and I easily sourced them from the repair guy that
has an office in the strip mall down the street.

Having said that, if the power supply can not be sourced locally, then
perhaps the machine has outlived its usefullness, and a shiney new
Vista-based product is in the future of the OP ...

Neil Green

> "Neil Green" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> message
> news:47990b60$0$26179$(E-Mail Removed) u...
>>
>> "Jeff Strickland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> message news:g07mj.792$hM4.163@trnddc07...
>>>
>>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> I've seen on some webpages that BAT stands for
>>> Baby At.
>>> Someway i'm beginning to think is smaller than the
>>> AT formfactor. or
>>> something like that
>>> But I'm looking for a power supply for that
>>> motherboard formfactor
>>>

>>> Just pull your power supply and go to a computer
>>> store and buy another one just like it. The
>>> form-factor defines the type of system it can be
>>> used in. You may find your power supply at Best
>>> Buy, but I think I would be visiting the computer
>>> repair guy down on the corner, or take a trip to
>>> Fry's if there is one within 30-ish miles.

>> Some of the proprietary PC's have PSU's not
>> generally available at the local computer store,
>> and maybe it's one of these the OP is referring to,
>> and they are generally smaller than standard.
>> Some of the HP's and Dells for instance, which
>> encourages people to source parts from licensed
>> resellers at exhorbitant prices.
>> These PSU's can generally be sourced as generics
>> but not easily, so most users pay double or even
>> triple the price of a standard PSU when replacing
>> them.
>> A good argument for buying a non branded PC.
>>

> I hear what you are saying, but I've replaced 3 or 4
> power supplies in HP and E-machine machines, and I
> easily sourced them from the repair guy that has an
> office in the strip mall down the street.
>
> Having said that, if the power supply can not be
> sourced locally, then perhaps the machine has
> outlived its usefullness, and a shiney new
> Vista-based product is in the future of the OP ...

Yes but if the PC is adequate for his needs then it
could well still be viable.
Some of the branded PC's have odd shaped PSU's
designed specifically for a particular case, but these
can still be sourced after market for a reasonable
price, it depends where he or she is located.
On another note, what is your opinion of Vista as
opposed to XP?
I've yet to migrate, and can't find a compelling
reason, so I'd be interested to hear what you consider
the advantages to be.

Neil Green

news:fnb6fq$tpn$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Jeff Strickland wrote:
>>
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>> Modern power supplies are switch-mode, in which
>>> case you might want
>>> to look into that area.
>>>
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Switche...il/history.htm
>>>
>>> Maybe instead of "BAT PSU", you mean "AT PSU", as
>>> AT was
>>> the PC standard before ATX ? An AT power supply
>>> doesn't have
>>> "soft off" capability, and the power is split into
>>> two
>>> connectors (P8, P9).
>>>
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_power_supply
>>>
>>> Otherwise, provide some context as to where we'd
>>> find this
>>> "BAT" thing.
>>>
>>> Paul

>> I've seen on some webpages that BAT stands for Baby
>> At.
>> Someway i'm beginning to think is smaller than the
>> AT formfactor. or
>> something like that
>> But I'm looking for a power supply for that
>> motherboard formfactor
>>
>> Just pull your power supply and go to a computer
>> store and buy another one just like it. The
>> form-factor defines the type of system it can be
>> used in. You may find your power supply at Best
>> Buy, but I think I would be visiting the computer
>> repair guy down on the corner, or take a trip to
>> Fry's if there is one within 30-ish miles.
>>

> This page claims AT and baby AT have the same P8 and
> P9 wiring.
>
> http://www.informit.com/articles/art...30273&seqNum=4
>
> P8 and P9 are two six pin connectors.
>
> http://www.informit.com/content/imag...ks/03fig06.jpg
>
> I see a baby AT for sale here, and they say the
> dimensions are 5.5" x 5.9" x 3.4".
> ATX is 150 x 140 x 80mm (5.9" x 5.5" x 3.15"). I
> expect screw holes and other
> mechanical details would cause issues as well. ATX
> connectors are different
> than AT. (One other web page mentioned there are a
> couple form factors for
> AT supplies, and one of those AT types has quite
> large dimensions. Measuring
> the dimensions of the original supply would be a
> good place to start, and
> comparing the power rating is also important. This
> supply even has a minimum
> load spec, which means it doesn't regulate well if
> less than the minimum current
> is drawn.
>
> http://www.cybertronpc.com/Itemdesc~...~PCc~POWER.htm
> http://www.nextag.com/Antec-300W-BAT...31/prices-html
>
> http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=23004
> +5V @ 30A, -5V @ 1A, +12V @ 10A, -12V @ 1A
>
> I also haven't figured out how you turn it on and
> off
> I guess it is just before my time.

Switched on and off by the power switch on the case.
Before Bill came up with start/turn off/
logoff/standby/go watch a movie/shutdown
Ah, for the days of DOS.