Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Why not 'foo = not f' instead of 'foo = (not f or 1) and 0'?

Why not 'foo = not f' instead of 'foo = (not f or 1) and 0'?

Steven Bethard

Kristian Domke wrote:
> I am trying to learn python at the moment studying an example program
> (cftp.py from the twisted framework, if you want to know)
>
> There I found a line
>
> foo = (not f and 1) or 0

Equivalent to ``foo = int(not f)``

> In this case f may be None or a string.
>
> If I am not wrong here, one could simply write
>
> foo = not f

No cast to int() here.

STeVe

George Sakkis

On Jan 23, 4:06 am, Gary Herron <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> However there *is* a (subtle) difference between
> not f
> and
> (not f and 1) or 0
>
> The first produces a boolean value, and the second produces an int
> value, but since one is a subclass of the other, you'd have to write
> quite perverse code care about the difference.

Even if for some reason I did want the result to be int, I would write
it as "int(not f)".

George