Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Replacement Window CD?

Replacement Window CD?

ScttLee

I am having to replace my (still functioning) hard drive. In three moves in
the last nine months, my XP Pro cd has gotten packed who knows where. Does
Microsoft have a replacement upgrade disc (upgraded from 98 3-4 years ago) or
do I have to repurchses the program? For that matterwould it be worth
upgrading to some version of Vista. Since I do not have my XP disc, could I
upgrade from my 98 dics?

R. C. White

Hi, ScttLee.

Would your computer support Vista?
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...deadvisor.mspx

"Upgrade copies are not available for versions of Windows earlier than
Windows 2000. These earlier versions of Windows require you to install a
full copy of Windows Vista."

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"ScttLee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am having to replace my (still functioning) hard drive. In three moves
> in
> the last nine months, my XP Pro cd has gotten packed who knows where.
> Does
> Microsoft have a replacement upgrade disc (upgraded from 98 3-4 years ago)
> or
> do I have to repurchses the program? For that matterwould it be worth
> upgrading to some version of Vista. Since I do not have my XP disc, could
> upgrade from my 98 dics?

Colin Barnhorst

Vista does not do a shiny media check to validate that you own an earlier
version of Windows. That means that in order to use a Vista upgrade edition
you must have Windows already installed and running. Nothing earlier than
Windows 2000 is accepted by the Vista upgrade Setup program so your Windows
98 cd is of no use at all.