Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > People finally starting to wise up?

People finally starting to wise up?

Rich

From Amateur Photography magazine:

Britain's DSLR camera sales rocket 23.6%

Monday 21st January 2008
Chris Cheesman
Canon EOS 40D podium

Sales of digital SLRs shot up by 23.4% in Britain last year compared
to 2006, according to official figures released by GfK Marketing
Services.

Consumers snapped up a total of 443,000 DSLRs worth a total of
206.4m, a growth in sales value of 10.8% on the previous year.

The number of digital compact cameras sold in 2007 rose by 6.4% to
6.32m units.

However, the revenue earned from compact sales fell by 8.4% to 731.4m.

Stewy

In article
<(E-Mail Removed)>,
Rich <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> From Amateur Photography magazine:
>
> Britain's DSLR camera sales rocket 23.6%
>
> Monday 21st January 2008
> Chris Cheesman
> Canon EOS 40D podium
>
> Sales of digital SLRs shot up by 23.4% in Britain last year compared
> to 2006, according to official figures released by GfK Marketing
> Services.
>
> Consumers snapped up a total of 443,000 DSLRs worth a total of
> 206.4m, a growth in sales value of 10.8% on the previous year.
>
> The number of digital compact cameras sold in 2007 rose by 6.4% to
> 6.32m units.
>
> However, the revenue earned from compact sales fell by 8.4% to 731.4m.

Wise up to what?

Many (most?) people who buy digital cameras are not your serious (I'm
worried about noise) type photographer. All these people want is a very
compact camera they can slip in their pocket and take snaps whenever
they want. They don't know (and don't give a monkeys) about RAW files.
All they want are pictures they can take to Boots and get printed.
These people are not worried about having 'this year's camera' and tend
to hold on to their hardware until it breaks.

John Navas

On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 16:40:19 -0800 (PST), Rich <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote in
<(E-Mail Removed)>:

>From Amateur Photography magazine:
>
>Britain's DSLR camera sales rocket 23.6%
>
>Monday 21st January 2008
>Chris Cheesman
>Canon EOS 40D podium
>
>Sales of digital SLRs shot up by 23.4% in Britain last year compared
>to 2006, according to official figures released by GfK Marketing
>Services.
>
>Consumers snapped up a total of 443,000 DSLRs worth a total of
>206.4m, a growth in sales value of 10.8% on the previous year.
>
>The number of digital compact cameras sold in 2007 rose by 6.4% to
>6.32m units.
>
>However, the revenue earned from compact sales fell by 8.4% to 731.4m.

What happening is that the large compact camera market is maturing,
while the small dSLR market is still evolving. How long that will
continue is anyone's guess.

--
Best regards,
John Navas

Alfred Molon

In article <d79266df-898b-4382-8bfd-978dd77349e6
@v17g2000hsa.googlegroups.com>, Rich says...

> Consumers snapped up a total of 443,000 DSLRs worth a total of
> 206.4m, a growth in sales value of 10.8% on the previous year.
>
> The number of digital compact cameras sold in 2007 rose by 6.4% to
> 6.32m units.

That means that 93% of all cameras sold in the UK were compacts.
Actually if you add the camera phones, the percentage of non-DSLRs sold
is even higher.
--

Alfred Molon

Fred

Yes I wised up years ago and ditched all my bulky 35mm SLR gear.

The liberation of being free from all that clutter was like a breath of
fresh air and I've never looked back since!

Unlike many dSLR owners, I don't count pixels, I take photographs.

Ron Hunter

Rich wrote:
> From Amateur Photography magazine:
>
> Britain's DSLR camera sales rocket 23.6%
>
> Monday 21st January 2008
> Chris Cheesman
> Canon EOS 40D podium
>
> Sales of digital SLRs shot up by 23.4% in Britain last year compared
> to 2006, according to official figures released by GfK Marketing
> Services.
>
> Consumers snapped up a total of 443,000 DSLRs worth a total of
> 206.4m, a growth in sales value of 10.8% on the previous year.
>
> The number of digital compact cameras sold in 2007 rose by 6.4% to
> 6.32m units.
>
> However, the revenue earned from compact sales fell by 8.4% to 731.4m.

Tight margins, and reduced prices of DSLRs, while prices of better
quality P&S cameras rose with addition of larger LCD displays, and
smaller camera sizes.