Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Macbook Air vs Asus Eee

Macbook Air vs Asus Eee

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

Two different people <http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/01/16/eee_vs_air/>,
<http://www.devindra.org/tech/2008/01/16/apple-air-versus-asus-eee-a-comparison/>
had the idea of comparing Apple's ultrathin Macbook Air with the ultralight
Asus Eee.

Peronally I think the Air is a solution in search of a problem. Its thinness
does nothing to help its portability, while it has a real downside in terms
of limiting its capabilities. Yes, it's stylish, but so was the G4
Cube--anybody remember that? Exactly the same sort of idea--a box that
sacrificed a lot of expandability for the sake of looks. That was
discontinued after about a year due to poor sales, whereupon it immediately
became a collector's item. I think the same fate is in store for the Air.

The Eee can be criticized in terms of its small screen, cramped keyboard and
limited storage. But you'd be hard-pressed to find anything as capable for
that price--the features it _does_ have more than make up for its
limitations. It probably won't do for a primary machine if you can afford
something more. If you can't (e.g. you're a student, or someone with light
computing needs), then I think it does quite well. If you _can_ afford
something bigger as a primary machine, it can still be useful (and not much
of an expenditure) to get an Eee as a secondary machine, to take those
places where you can't take your primary machine. You'd have to have a
pretty cramped carry bag if you can't squeeze an Eee in somewhere.

(Dis)claimer: I own an Eee, a few Macs, and a couple of Shuttles.

thingy

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> Two different people <http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/01/16/eee_vs_air/>,
> <http://www.devindra.org/tech/2008/01/16/apple-air-versus-asus-eee-a-comparison/>
> had the idea of comparing Apple's ultrathin Macbook Air with the ultralight
> Asus Eee.
>
> Peronally I think the Air is a solution in search of a problem. Its thinness
> does nothing to help its portability, while it has a real downside in terms
> of limiting its capabilities. Yes, it's stylish, but so was the G4
> Cube--anybody remember that? Exactly the same sort of idea--a box that
> sacrificed a lot of expandability for the sake of looks. That was
> discontinued after about a year due to poor sales, whereupon it immediately
> became a collector's item. I think the same fate is in store for the Air.
>
> The Eee can be criticized in terms of its small screen, cramped keyboard and
> limited storage. But you'd be hard-pressed to find anything as capable for
> that price--the features it _does_ have more than make up for its
> limitations.

The EE is way overpriced at $599 when a base Acer laptop with a HD and a
14inch screen is $799....

regards

Thing

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, thingy did write:

> The [Eee] is way overpriced at $599 when a base Acer laptop with a HD and
> a 14inch screen is $799....

The Acer will be bigger, heavier, and harder to carry. And I assume it comes
with Vista, which will make it seem slower.

So all in all I'd say you're paying more money and getting less.

Max Quordlepleen

On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 00:02:49 GMT, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
<(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> proffered, in :
news:fn6073$i9f$(E-Mail Removed):

> The Acer will be bigger, heavier, and harder to carry. And I
> assume it comes with Vista, which will make it seem slower.
>
> So all in all I'd say you're paying more money and getting less.

The physical weight might be an issue, but the OS wouldn't be. Just
replace Vista with your distro of choice (OpenSuse 10.3 for me), and
that performance hit is taken of. I am VERY tempted by the EE though. I
hear there's a better-spec'd version in the works, so maybe soon I'll
give in to temptation.

--
noho ora mai
http://maxqnzs.com/References.html

thingy

thingy wrote:
> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>> Two different people
>> <http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/01/16/eee_vs_air/>,
>> <http://www.devindra.org/tech/2008/01/16/apple-air-versus-asus-eee-a-comparison/>
>>
>> had the idea of comparing Apple's ultrathin Macbook Air with the
>> ultralight
>> Asus Eee.
>>
>> Peronally I think the Air is a solution in search of a problem. Its
>> thinness
>> does nothing to help its portability, while it has a real downside in
>> terms
>> of limiting its capabilities. Yes, it's stylish, but so was the G4
>> Cube--anybody remember that? Exactly the same sort of idea--a box that
>> sacrificed a lot of expandability for the sake of looks. That was
>> discontinued after about a year due to poor sales, whereupon it
>> immediately
>> became a collector's item. I think the same fate is in store for the Air.
>>
>> The Eee can be criticized in terms of its small screen, cramped
>> keyboard and
>> limited storage. But you'd be hard-pressed to find anything as capable
>> for
>> that price--the features it _does_ have more than make up for its
>> limitations.

> The EE is way overpriced at $599 when a base Acer laptop with a HD and a
> 14inch screen is $799....
>
> regards
>
> Thing

In fact....

$699 after $99 Acer cashback!! (according to DSE)....so for an extra
$100 it is a no brainer IMHO ....unless you want something that small....

Not the flash'est model but a 15.4inch v 7 inch screen is not to be
sneezed at....similar celeron (type) cpu....

http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.sto...ct/View/XC4179

hard drive ; 80gb v 4GB

and at some point Acer has paid MS for the OS....

regards

Thing

thingy

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, thingy did write:
>
>> The [Eee] is way overpriced at $599 when a base Acer laptop with a HD and
>> a 14inch screen is $799....

> The Acer will be bigger, heavier, and harder to carry. And I assume it comes
> with Vista, which will make it seem slower.
>
> So all in all I'd say you're paying more money and getting less.

yes its bigger and yes its heavier but it needs to be able to do
something useful....it is hardly a great idea to carry something around
that is so limited that its dead weight.....its like the Apple thin
book, its a solution looking for a problem.

Removing vista is a no cost cd insert press enter as you well know....or
dual boot as you have 80gb to play with....so its hardly a significant
contrary point....

regards

Thing

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Max Quordlepleen did
write:

> On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 00:02:49 GMT, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
> <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> proffered, in :
> news:fn6073$i9f$(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> The Acer will be bigger, heavier, and harder to carry. And I
>> assume it comes with Vista, which will make it seem slower.
>>
>> So all in all I'd say you're paying more money and getting less.

> The physical weight might be an issue, but the OS wouldn't be. Just
> replace Vista with your distro of choice (OpenSuse 10.3 for me), and
> that performance hit is taken of.

Sure, you can do that, because you're a geek.

90% of punters don't know, and don't care, about such stuff. They can't be
bothered to figure out downloading updates, additional installs, etc. They
just want an appliance they can switch on and immediately start using. That
I think is the role the Eee fulfils very well.

> I am VERY tempted by the EE though. I
> hear there's a better-spec'd version in the works, so maybe soon I'll
> give in to temptation.

Certainly Asus won't have this space to itself for much longer. Everex will
be introducing its Cloudbook in a few days. Also I think someone else will
be bringing out an adaptation of the Intel Classmate for first-world
markets.

The market is certainly hotting up.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, thingy did write:

> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, thingy did write:
>>
>>> The [Eee] is way overpriced at $599 when a base Acer laptop with a HD
>>> and a 14inch screen is $799....

>> The Acer will be bigger, heavier, and harder to carry. And I assume it
>> comes with Vista, which will make it seem slower.
>>
>> So all in all I'd say you're paying more money and getting less.

> yes its bigger and yes its heavier but it needs to be able to do
> something useful....it is hardly a great idea to carry something around
> that is so limited that its dead weight..

On the contrary, the Eee is a _very_ useful bundle of functionality. On
Friday, I used mine to do some serious program editing for the first time,
to make some tricky changes to an application at a client's place. It was
three hours' worth of Emacs work. And it went well--I got the change tested
and implemented, and never once felt that the small keyboard or screen got
in my way.

OK, so that was a geek's view of the machine. For non-geeks, look at all the
useful hardware and software built-in. The fact that it has more USB ports
than some bigger laptops. And the fact that you can take it places where
those bigger laptops would be out of the question.

I suspect you're going too much by paper specs. Pop in to your local Dick
Smith and try an Eee out for yourself. I see they have the black ones in
stock now.

> ...its like the Apple thin book, its a solution looking for a problem.

Given that Asus is shipping one every 6 seconds, I don't think the Eee needs
to look very hard.

thingy

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, thingy did write:
>
>> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>>
>>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, thingy did write:

>>> The Acer will be bigger, heavier, and harder to carry. And I assume it
>>> comes with Vista, which will make it seem slower.
>>>
>>> So all in all I'd say you're paying more money and getting less.

>> yes its bigger and yes its heavier but it needs to be able to do
>> something useful....it is hardly a great idea to carry something around
>> that is so limited that its dead weight..

> On the contrary, the Eee is a _very_ useful bundle of functionality. On
> Friday, I used mine to do some serious program editing for the first time,
> to make some tricky changes to an application at a client's place. It was
> three hours' worth of Emacs work. And it went well--I got the change tested
> and implemented, and never once felt that the small keyboard or screen got
> in my way.
>
> OK, so that was a geek's view of the machine. For non-geeks, look at all the
> useful hardware and software built-in. The fact that it has more USB ports
> than some bigger laptops. And the fact that you can take it places where
> those bigger laptops would be out of the question.
>
> I suspect you're going too much by paper specs. Pop in to your local Dick
> Smith and try an Eee out for yourself. I see they have the black ones in
> stock now.
>
>> ...its like the Apple thin book, its a solution looking for a problem.

> Given that Asus is shipping one every 6 seconds, I don't think the Eee needs
> to look very hard.

I have and I decided it was way to limited and way to over-priced for
$599.....if a full laptop was over $1200 then yes....

As for emacs, I still have my p2-233 laptop running Debian....perfectly
good enough for such a limited bit of work (vi or emacs)....and yes in
that case a EE would be close to ideal.

regards

Thing

impossible

news:fn633e$jhk$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, thingy did write:
>
>> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>>
>>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, thingy did write:

>>> The Acer will be bigger, heavier, and harder to carry. And I assume it
>>> comes with Vista, which will make it seem slower.
>>>
>>> So all in all I'd say you're paying more money and getting less.

>> yes its bigger and yes its heavier but it needs to be able to do
>> something useful....it is hardly a great idea to carry something around
>> that is so limited that its dead weight..

> On the contrary, the Eee is a _very_ useful bundle of functionality. On
> Friday, I used mine to do some serious program editing for the first time,
> to make some tricky changes to an application at a client's place. It was
> three hours' worth of Emacs work. And it went well--I got the change
> tested
> and implemented, and never once felt that the small keyboard or screen got
> in my way.

Asus markets the EEE to children, which basically sums up its intended use.
If you're going to try to invent some adult-type "functionality" for this
thing, you've got your work cut out for you.

> OK, so that was a geek's view of the machine. For non-geeks, look at all
> the
> useful hardware and software built-in. The fact that it has more USB ports
> than some bigger laptops.

USB ports, yes, so you can plug in a real hard drive, a real
keytboard....what else?

> And the fact that you can take it places where
> those bigger laptops would be out of the question.
>

> I suspect you're going too much by paper specs. Pop in to your local Dick
> Smith and try an Eee out for yourself. I see they have the black ones in
> stock now.

Are you working on commission? Your wEEEEEEEEEEEEEE posts are starting to
read like spam.

>> ...its like the Apple thin book, its a solution looking for a problem.

> Given that Asus is shipping one every 6 seconds, I don't think the Eee
> needs
> to look very hard.

That "every 6 seconds" line refers to the ASUS **sales target** for 2008. My
god, you're a gullible son-of-a-gun!