Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > translating Python to Assembler...sorry if this is duplicated...it's unintentional

translating Python to Assembler...sorry if this is duplicated...it's unintentional

over@thepond.com

My expertise, if any, is in assembler. I'm trying to understand Python
scripts and modules by examining them after they have been
disassembled in a Windows environment.

I'm wondering if a Python symbols file is available. In the Windows
environment, a symbol file normally has a PDB extension. It's a little
unfortunate that Python also uses PDB for its debugger. Google, for
whatever reason, wont accept queries with dots, hyphens, etc., in the
query line. For example a Google for "python.pdb" returns +python
+pdb, so I get a ridiculous number of returns referring to the python
debugger. I have mentioned this to Google several times, but I guess
logic isn't one of their strong points.

If there's dupicates of this post it's because it wouldn't send for
some reason.

Mike Driscoll

On Jan 22, 4:45 pm, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> My expertise, if any, is in assembler. I'm trying to understand Python
> scripts and modules by examining them after they have been
> disassembled in a Windows environment.
>
> I'm wondering if a Python symbols file is available. In the Windows
> environment, a symbol file normally has a PDB extension. It's a little
> unfortunate that Python also uses PDB for its debugger. Google, for
> whatever reason, wont accept queries with dots, hyphens, etc., in the
> query line. For example a Google for "python.pdb" returns +python
> +pdb, so I get a ridiculous number of returns referring to the python
> debugger. I have mentioned this to Google several times, but I guess
> logic isn't one of their strong points.
>
> If there's dupicates of this post it's because it wouldn't send for
> some reason.

I'm not sure what you're talking about...mainly because I'm not sure
what you mean by a "symbols file". But I did some google-fu myself and
found this CookBook entry:

And this thread seems to be talking about symbol resolution, I think:

http://www.python.org/search/hyperma...94q2/0605.html

And here's some weird site that claims to have a list of inseparable
symbols, whatever that means:

voicecode.iit.nrc.ca/VCodeWiki/public/wiki.cgi?
obj=ListOfUnseparablePythonSymbols

I can't get it to load unless I use Google's cached version though.

Hope that helps and that I'm not too far off the mark!

Mike

GHUM

> My expertise, if any, is in assembler. I'm trying to understand Python
> scripts and modules by examining them after they have been
> disassembled in a Windows environment.

Maybe you could also profit from diassembling Pythons bytecode into
MNEmonics of the Python Virtual Machine ?

http://docs.python.org/lib/module-dis.html

Because "disassembling python scripts" with any other disassembler
will not likely lead to something usefull:

a) the .pyc and pyo files are in Python Bytecode, that is "assembler
for the Python Virtual Machine Processor", disassemble with the
mentioned module

b) python2x.dll is in i386-Assembler, but contains the virtual
machine. Understanding that will you will learn a lot of great
programming concepts from some of the most brilliant minds on this
planet; but will give you no hint to understand Python scripts, as
they are running on top of that VM. Like disassembling the Hybrid
Power Drive of a Lexus GS450h will teach you nothing about navigating
from Berlin to Paris.

Best wishes,

Harald