Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Who is accessing my WLAN?

Who is accessing my WLAN?

=?Utf-8?B?SmFtZXM=?=

Is there software that can tell me what devices are (or have) using my
wireless network?

Thanks,

James

Kerry Brown

What router/access point are you using? Does it keep a log? More information
is needed to answer your question.

Kerry Brown
KDB Systems

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is there software that can tell me what devices are (or have) using my
> wireless network?
>
> Thanks,
>
> James

=?Utf-8?B?SmFtZXM=?=

Sorry,

I use a DLink g router. It keeps a log but it is greek to me.

"Kerry Brown" wrote:

> What router/access point are you using? Does it keep a log? More information
> is needed to answer your question.
>
> Kerry Brown
> KDB Systems
>
> "James" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Is there software that can tell me what devices are (or have) using my
> > wireless network?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > James

Kerry Brown

> I use a DLink g router. It keeps a log but it is greek to me.

Most of the D-link routers I've used keep a log of DHCP activity. It will
tell you the MAC address of the devices requesting an IP address. If you
have not altered the default settings on your router someone who knows what
they are doing could easily bypass this and you would have no way of
knowing. If you don't understand what the log is telling you I don't know if
I can help you any more than this. It is a very basic log. You have to have
some knowledge of TCP/IP and DHCP in order to understand if someone is using
your WLAN. If you don't have this knowledge there are numerous web sites and
books where you can read up or you could hire a local professional to secure
your WLAN. Some good places to start are here:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...e+Search&meta=
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/...ess_secure.htm

Hope this helped.

Kerry Brown