Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Canon 30D flash

Canon 30D flash

Chris Savage

On 2008-01-23, David J. Littleboy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "Chris Savage" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On 2008-01-23, Chris Malcolm <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>
>>> But he'll still get varying amounts of flash in the overlapping bits,
>>> which is what he's trying to avoid.
>>>

>> Make the overlaps bigger.

> He needs to set the flash to manual mode so it delivers the same amount of
> light each time. But that may not be possible if it's a built-in flash.

Well, I would have said what one _needs_ to do is stabilise the lighting
for the whole scene which would preclude the use of any on-camera flash.

But since the questioner has said he has to use the on-camera flash then
whatever he does with it is going to give uneven lighting on the
resulting montage however he sets it.

Try it. Put your flash on manual at any setting you want and see the
difference between pointing in random directions around the room you're
in ... the light will reflect in all sorts of different ways off all
sorts of different surfaces.

--
Chris Savage Kiss me. Or would you rather live in a
Gateshead, UK land where the soap won't lather?

user@domain.invalid

Ali wrote:
> Your post lacked detail. Therefore, my question was perfectly reasonable.
>
> Your original post and response just shows how ignorant you really are.
>

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:fn5jsn$g3a$(E-Mail Removed)...

That's not obtuse of sparse. "A fixed amount of flash" is perfectly
simple.

If you don't know the answer, you should not have even replied.

Doug McDonald

user@domain.invalid

Sam Prichard wrote:

> In manual mode, set your shutter speed to 1/250 and aperture to F22, so
> that you have a decent shutter speed and good depth of field. Then set
> the flash compensation (FEC) to -2, stops so that you don't get specular
> highlights.
>
> Because of the high shutter speed, you can hand hold with no problems.
> Recompose and take the other shots to create a panorama.

Well, you can hand hold panoramas if and only if the nearest
object is far enough away that motion of the camera between shots does
not change the perspective. This is almost never the case with
interiors.

But as to flash ... except for the f/22 part, which is a diffraction problem
(I would use f/10) ... that's what I tried, more or less (but not as much
as two stops flash compensation). It seems that the flash is still in
auto mode, so the amount of light changes between shots. This means
they don't fit together without extreme intensity fixups, which are
not easy.

Doug McDonald

user@domain.invalid

Chris Savage wrote:

> But since the questioner has said he has to use the on-camera flash then
> whatever he does with it is going to give uneven lighting on the
> resulting montage however he sets it.
>
> Try it. Put your flash on manual at any setting you want and see the
> difference between pointing in random directions around the room you're
> in ... the light will reflect in all sorts of different ways off all
> sorts of different surfaces.

I had not thought of that! You are of course right.

For perfect results you need a fixed flash and a big fat diffuser.

Oh well, at least that's the ultimate answer.

Or the big heavy tripod and ambient light. That worked well
in Carlsbad caverns (1/2 second exposures).

Doug McDonald

Ali

Oh, I know the answer, in fact a few, not just one. But either you are a
troll, or you're too dumb to know when someone is looking to help you.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:fn7mnq$4db$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> In any case, I asked a question. I wanted and ANSWER, not a question
>>> in return.

>> Your post lacked detail. Therefore, my question was perfectly
>> reasonable.
>>
>> Your original post and response just shows how ignorant you really are.

> That's not obtuse of sparse. "A fixed amount of flash" is perfectly
> simple.
>
> If you don't know the answer, you should not have even replied.

Gisle Hannemyr

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)lid writes:
> I'm still mystified by the built-in flash in the Canon 30D.
>
> But I can't figure out how to tell it to used a fixed amount of
> flash.

You can't. Nikon let you use use manual for the built-in (very handy
for avoiding pre-flash when trigging studio strobes too), but Canon
expect you to fit a 430EX or a 580EX if you want manual.

> The FM is too sparse and obtuse for RTFM to do the job. Is it even
> possible?

No.
Sigma SD10, Kodak DCS 14n, Canon Powershot G5, Olympus 2020Z