Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Canon 30D flash

Canon 30D flash

user@domain.invalid

I'm still mystified by the built-in flash in the Canon 30D.

How do I take panoramas with flash? I can set the exposure to manual,
setting bother aperture and shutter speed. Or I can use Av, setting the
aperture and then telling the camera to set the time to 1/250 sec
any time the flash is used in that mode (in the special menus section.)
Of course I also use manual focus.

But I can't figure out how to tell it to used a fixed amount of flash.
The FM is too sparse and obtuse for RTFM to do the job. Is it even
possible?

Doug McDonald

Ali

Why do you need to use flash? What are you shooting?

news:fn5hk7$fgm$(E-Mail Removed)...

mark.thomas.7@gmail.com

On Jan 23, 5:52 am, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I'm still mystified by the built-in flash in the Canon 30D.
>
> How do I take panoramas with flash? I can set the exposure to manual,
> setting bother aperture and shutter speed. Or I can use Av, setting the
> aperture and then telling the camera to set the time to 1/250 sec
> any time the flash is used in that mode (in the special menus section.)
> Of course I also use manual focus.
>
> But I can't figure out how to tell it to used a fixed amount of flash.
> The FM is too sparse and obtuse for RTFM to do the job. Is it even
> possible?
>
> Doug McDonald

Don't know about the 30D, but many (most?) built-in's do not have
manual settings, other than a limited range of ev adjustment. Get a
real flashgun!

user@domain.invalid

Ali wrote:
> Why do you need to use flash? What are you shooting?

Badly lit interiors where I'm not able to play with multiple
tungsten lights, which would be the ideal. OF course, I could use
an external fixed power flash, but that's more stuff to carry about.

In any case, I asked a question. I wanted and ANSWER, not a question
in return.

Doug McDonald

Top posted on purpose.

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:fn5hk7$fgm$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I'm still mystified by the built-in flash in the Canon 30D.
>>
>> How do I take panoramas with flash? I can set the exposure to manual,
>> setting bother aperture and shutter speed. Or I can use Av, setting the
>> aperture and then telling the camera to set the time to 1/250 sec
>> any time the flash is used in that mode (in the special menus section.)
>> Of course I also use manual focus.
>>
>> But I can't figure out how to tell it to used a fixed amount of flash.
>> The FM is too sparse and obtuse for RTFM to do the job. Is it even
>> possible?
>>
>> Doug McDonald

Ali

Your post lacked detail. Therefore, my question was perfectly reasonable.

Your original post and response just shows how ignorant you really are.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:fn5jsn$g3a$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> I'm still mystified by the built-in flash in the Canon 30D.
>>>
>>> How do I take panoramas with flash? I can set the exposure to manual,
>>> setting bother aperture and shutter speed. Or I can use Av, setting the
>>> aperture and then telling the camera to set the time to 1/250 sec
>>> any time the flash is used in that mode (in the special menus section.)
>>> Of course I also use manual focus.
>>>
>>> But I can't figure out how to tell it to used a fixed amount of flash.
>>> The FM is too sparse and obtuse for RTFM to do the job. Is it even
>>> possible?

>> Why do you need to use flash? What are you shooting?

> Badly lit interiors where I'm not able to play with multiple
> tungsten lights, which would be the ideal. OF course, I could use
> an external fixed power flash, but that's more stuff to carry about.
>
> In any case, I asked a question. I wanted and ANSWER, not a question
> in return.
>
> Doug McDonald

Sam Prichard

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:fn5jsn$g3a$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ali wrote:
>> Why do you need to use flash? What are you shooting?
>>

> Badly lit interiors where I'm not able to play with multiple
> tungsten lights, which would be the ideal. OF course, I could use
> an external fixed power flash, but that's more stuff to carry about.
>
> In any case, I asked a question. I wanted and ANSWER, not a question
> in return.
>
> Doug McDonald
>
> Top posted on purpose.
>

>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:fn5hk7$fgm$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> I'm still mystified by the built-in flash in the Canon 30D.
>>>
>>> How do I take panoramas with flash? I can set the exposure to manual,
>>> setting bother aperture and shutter speed. Or I can use Av, setting the
>>> aperture and then telling the camera to set the time to 1/250 sec
>>> any time the flash is used in that mode (in the special menus section.)
>>> Of course I also use manual focus.
>>>
>>> But I can't figure out how to tell it to used a fixed amount of flash.
>>> The FM is too sparse and obtuse for RTFM to do the job. Is it even
>>> possible?
>>>
>>> Doug McDonald

In manual mode, set your shutter speed to 1/250 and aperture to F22, so that
you have a decent shutter speed and good depth of field. Then set the flash
compensation (FEC) to -2, stops so that you don't get specular highlights.

Because of the high shutter speed, you can hand hold with no problems.
Recompose and take the other shots to create a panorama.

Roy G

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:fn5jsn$g3a$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ali wrote:
>> Why do you need to use flash? What are you shooting?
>>

> Badly lit interiors where I'm not able to play with multiple
> tungsten lights, which would be the ideal. OF course, I could use
> an external fixed power flash, but that's more stuff to carry about.
>
> In any case, I asked a question. I wanted and ANSWER, not a question
> in return.
>
> Doug McDonald

If you are doing panoramas, I presume you are using a sturdy tripod.

In which case, a Hotshoe Type Flashgun could hardly be described as too much
more stuff to carry.

Roy G

Chris Malcolm

Sam Prichard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:fn5jsn$g3a$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Ali wrote:
>>> Why do you need to use flash? What are you shooting?
>>>

>> Badly lit interiors where I'm not able to play with multiple
>> tungsten lights, which would be the ideal. OF course, I could use
>> an external fixed power flash, but that's more stuff to carry about.
>>
>> In any case, I asked a question. I wanted and ANSWER, not a question
>> in return.
>>
>> Doug McDonald
>>
>> Top posted on purpose.
>>
>>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:fn5hk7$fgm$(E-Mail Removed)...

> In manual mode, set your shutter speed to 1/250 and aperture to F22, so that
> you have a decent shutter speed and good depth of field. Then set the flash
> compensation (FEC) to -2, stops so that you don't get specular highlights.

But he'll still get varying amounts of flash in the overlapping bits,
which is what he's trying to avoid.

--
Chris Malcolm http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) DoD #205
[http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/]

Chris Savage

On 2008-01-23, Chris Malcolm <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Sam Prichard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:fn5jsn$g3a$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>> Badly lit interiors where I'm not able to play with multiple
>>> tungsten lights, which would be the ideal. OF course, I could use
>>> an external fixed power flash, but that's more stuff to carry about.

>> In manual mode, set your shutter speed to 1/250 and aperture to F22, so that
>> you have a decent shutter speed and good depth of field. Then set the flash
>> compensation (FEC) to -2, stops so that you don't get specular highlights.

> But he'll still get varying amounts of flash in the overlapping bits,
> which is what he's trying to avoid.

Make the overlaps bigger.

--
Chris Savage Kiss me. Or would you rather live in a
Gateshead, UK land where the soap won't lather?

David J. Littleboy

"Chris Savage" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 2008-01-23, Chris Malcolm <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> But he'll still get varying amounts of flash in the overlapping bits,
>> which is what he's trying to avoid.
>>

> Make the overlaps bigger.

He needs to set the flash to manual mode so it delivers the same amount of
light each time. But that may not be possible if it's a built-in flash.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan