Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Licence to compute?

Licence to compute?

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

Do we need computer competence tests? Some thoughts from Guy Kewney
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/01/21/computer_competence_tests/>.

Ross

On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 20:39:33 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
<(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:

>Do we need computer competence tests? Some thoughts from Guy Kewney
><http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/01/21/computer_competence_tests/>.

Only for people that want to use internet banking.

They should get a random question each time they log on?
e.g. What firewall are you running right now?
or, What is your OS and what version?
The correct answer let's them continue.

Smoking Causes Lung Cancer (SCLC)

On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 22:52:13 +1300, Ross wrote:

> They should get a random question each time they log on? e.g. What
> firewall are you running right now? or, What is your OS and what
> version? The correct answer let's them continue.

That would cause most of them to not be able to do internet banking, as
most of them wouldn't know what a firewall is, or how to configure it, or
even whether or not it is running.

Most M$ Windows users would most likely be able to tell you what
iteration of M$ Windows they're using - XP.

--
Smoking Causes Lung Cancer

All malware is currently a single platform problem and is almost all the
fault of poor design of two applications - Internet Explorer and Outlook

RecyclerMan (Robert Cooze)

Smoking Causes Lung Cancer (SCLC) wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 22:52:13 +1300, Ross wrote:
>
>> They should get a random question each time they log on? e.g. What
>> firewall are you running right now? or, What is your OS and what
>> version? The correct answer let's them continue.

> That would cause most of them to not be able to do internet banking, as
> most of them wouldn't know what a firewall is, or how to configure it, or
> even whether or not it is running.
>
> Most M$ Windows users would most likely be able to tell you what
> iteration of M$ Windows they're using - XP.

I think the problem is that most users JUST DO NO KNOW it does not
matter what they are running (I use WinXP and Linux) my wife liked gnome
I like KDE (i have not decided which is best all round) I think a sand
box pc idear or a sandbox internet sweet of programs (running on a
server somwhere) would make good sence for the masses

impossible

"Ross" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 20:39:33 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
> <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:
>
>>Do we need computer competence tests? Some thoughts from Guy Kewney
>><http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/01/21/computer_competence_tests/>.

> Only for people that want to use internet banking.

In the first instance, that would be the banks themselves. Competency tests
for the people hired to design internet banking systems would might improve
things, I suppose. But the technical competency of customers ought to be
immaterial.

> They should get a random question each time they log on?
> e.g. What firewall are you running right now?
> or, What is your OS and what version?
> The correct answer let's them continue.

Those are silly questions. If a bank hasn't figured out a way to make their
online transactiuons secure, then they shouldn't open a portal. Full stop.
To deflect liability onto the customer is ridiculous. Better to simply add
another layer of identity verification, the way credit bureaus and credit
card companies sometimes do. No system is ever going to be 100% secure 100%
of the time, but then that's why banks have insurance.

thingy

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> Do we need computer competence tests? Some thoughts from Guy Kewney
> <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/01/21/computer_competence_tests/>.

So the next thing is licence to have kids, drink booze....etc etc.

regards

thing

noone@nospamyahoo.cnn

On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 18:28:49 GMT, "impossible" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Ross" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 20:39:33 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
>> <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:
>>
>>>Do we need computer competence tests? Some thoughts from Guy Kewney
>>><http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/01/21/computer_competence_tests/>.

>> Only for people that want to use internet banking.
>>

>In the first instance, that would be the banks themselves. Competency tests
>for the people hired to design internet banking systems would might improve
>things, I suppose. But the technical competency of customers ought to be
>immaterial.
>
>> They should get a random question each time they log on?
>> e.g. What firewall are you running right now?
>> or, What is your OS and what version?
>> The correct answer let's them continue.

>Those are silly questions. If a bank hasn't figured out a way to make their
>online transactiuons secure, then they shouldn't open a portal. Full stop.
>To deflect liability onto the customer is ridiculous. Better to simply add
>another layer of identity verification, the way credit bureaus and credit
>card companies sometimes do. No system is ever going to be 100% secure 100%
>of the time, but then that's why banks have insurance.

The BNZ id card & the National bank cell phone system is more or less a 100% Secure system..

Richard

> The BNZ id card & the National bank cell phone system is more or less a 100% Secure system..

No system is secure, look at that recent trojen that does a decent
effort to screw over people with banking, waiting till they do a 2
factor authorised transaction and then uses the code for their own one
rather then the one the person requested. Very nice example of how it
will be impossible to ever have secure internet banking on an insecure
computer.

Richard

Bruce Sinclair wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, thingy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>>> Do we need computer competence tests? Some thoughts from Guy Kewney
>>> <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/01/21/computer_competence_tests/>.

>> So the next thing is licence to have kids, drink booze....etc etc.

> Well ... I've long wondered why we need a licence to own a dog, but not a
> child.

And why a vicious dog that attacks people gets put down, but the same in
a child gets sympathy for the criminal.

Bruce Sinclair