Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Backup software

Backup software

Sir To You

I have a folder on my D Drive that contains all my personal documents,
music, digital photos, tax returns etc... Comes to about 200gb in
total.

I have just purchased nero 8 hoping for backitup to be good - but that
software is bigtime crap. It behaves eractically, but perhaps this is
because I run vista and it gets confused about how to backup desktop
items.

Vista built-in backup is no good - it will only backup the whole
drive, not a folder on the drive.

Microsofts synctoy comes closest to what I need, but that gets a bit
dodgy on long pathnames and I'm not convinced it was backed up
everything correctly.

Any other decent backup software? That costs little?

Allistar

Sir To You wrote:

> I have a folder on my D Drive that contains all my personal documents,
> music, digital photos, tax returns etc... Comes to about 200gb in
> total.
>
> I have just purchased nero 8 hoping for backitup to be good - but that
> software is bigtime crap. It behaves eractically, but perhaps this is
> because I run vista and it gets confused about how to backup desktop
> items.
>
> Vista built-in backup is no good - it will only backup the whole
> drive, not a folder on the drive.
>
> Microsofts synctoy comes closest to what I need, but that gets a bit
> dodgy on long pathnames and I'm not convinced it was backed up
> everything correctly.
>
> Any other decent backup software? That costs little?

I use rsync for backups and it works fine, even over a network like the
internet.
--
A.

joe_90

Sir To You wrote:

> Any other decent backup software? That costs little?

Cobian?

http://www.educ.umu.se/~cobian/cobianbackup.htm

geoff

Sir To You wrote:
> I have a folder on my D Drive that contains all my personal documents,
> music, digital photos, tax returns etc... Comes to about 200gb in
> total.
>
> I have just purchased nero 8 hoping for backitup to be good - but that
> software is bigtime crap. It behaves eractically, but perhaps this is
> because I run vista and it gets confused about how to backup desktop
> items.
>
> Vista built-in backup is no good - it will only backup the whole
> drive, not a folder on the drive.
>
> Microsofts synctoy comes closest to what I need, but that gets a bit
> dodgy on long pathnames and I'm not convinced it was backed up
> everything correctly.
>
> Any other decent backup software? That costs little?

www.ntius.com

geoff

Gordon

On 2008-01-21, Sir To You <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I have a folder on my D Drive that contains all my personal documents,
> music, digital photos, tax returns etc... Comes to about 200gb in
> total.
>
> I have just purchased nero 8 hoping for backitup to be good - but that
> software is bigtime crap. It behaves eractically, but perhaps this is
> because I run vista and it gets confused about how to backup desktop
> items.
>
> Vista built-in backup is no good - it will only backup the whole
> drive, not a folder on the drive.
>
> Microsofts synctoy comes closest to what I need, but that gets a bit
> dodgy on long pathnames and I'm not convinced it was backed up
> everything correctly.
>
> Any other decent backup software? That costs little?

Cobian

http://www.educ.umu.se/~cobian/cobianbackup.htm

as a suggestion

lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz

http://www.2brightsparks.com/

Syncback from this site is both free and flexible, particularly if you
are backing up to a hard drive or portable HD or flash drive.

I have reservations about it backing up to DVD.

Lindsay Rollo
Wellington, New Zealand

noone@nospamyahoo.cnn

On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 19:21:41 +1300, lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz wrote:

>http://www.2brightsparks.com/
>
>Syncback from this site is both free and flexible, particularly if you
>are backing up to a hard drive or portable HD or flash drive.
>
>I have reservations about it backing up to DVD.
>
>Lindsay Rollo
>Wellington, New Zealand

Backing up to DVD RAM is the method used in the Medical profession as its the best there is, but
with the Boxed DVD RAM Disks, ie double sided..

Sir To You

On Jan 22, 12:48*pm, Allistar <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Sir To You wrote:
> > I have a folder on my D Drive that contains all my personal documents,
> > music, digital photos, tax returns etc... Comes to about 200gb in
> > total.

> > I have just purchased nero 8 hoping for backitup to be good - but that
> > software is bigtime crap. It behaves eractically, but perhaps this is
> > because I run vista and it gets confused about how to backup desktop
> > items.

> > Vista built-in backup is no good - it will only *backup the whole
> > drive, not a folder on the drive.

> > Microsofts synctoy comes closest to what I need, but that gets a bit
> > dodgy on long pathnames and I'm not convinced it was backed up
> > everything correctly.

> > Any other decent backup software? That costs little?

> I use rsync for backups and it works fine, even over a network like the
> internet.
> --
> A.- Hide quoted text -

Thanks, this looks very good.

Sir To You

On Jan 22, 1:08*pm, joe_90 <joe_90_remove@nospam_myhttpmail.com>
wrote:
> Sir To You wrote:
> > Any other decent backup software? That costs little?

> Cobian?
>
> http://www.educ.umu.se/~cobian/cobianbackup.htm

Thanks, leaning to rsync at this stage.

Sir To You

On Jan 22, 7:21*pm, lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz wrote:
> http://www.2brightsparks.com/
>
> Syncback from this site is both free and flexible, particularly if you
> are backing up to a hard drive or portable HD or flash drive.
>
> I have reservations about it backing up to DVD.
>
> Lindsay Rollo
> Wellington, New Zealand

Will take a look - I would never backup to dvd. Would be 50 DVD's per
backup he he.