Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > XML > xslt for Garden of Eden design pattern

xslt for Garden of Eden design pattern

WideBoy

Hi,

I really need to convert an ugly XML schema to a nice GoE design
pattern and I was hoping that perhaps an xslt already exists that
might do this for me. If any body is aware of such a thing I would
appreciate it if you could tell where I can get a hold of it.

Any comments, or suggestion very welcome.

Best regards,

Naran

Joseph Kesselman

Might help if you posted a pointer to what you mean by "Garden of Eden
design pattern", or were otherwise more specific; I'm not familiar with
that term and would rather not websearch-and-guess.

Joseph Kesselman

Ah. I presume you mean as defined in
http://developers.sun.com/jsenterpri..._patterns.html

I don't happen to know of off-the-shelf stylesheets that convert between
these structuring approaches, but I agree that it looks like stylesheets
could automate a great deal of that conversion if not all of it.
Interesting project, if someone has a bit of spare time to play with it.

Andy Dingley

On 21 Jan, 22:58, WideBoy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I really need to convert an ugly XML schema to a nice GoE design
> pattern and I was hoping that perhaps an xslt already exists that
> might do this for me.

Get in your time machine.

Look at the history of B2B or EDI, and how XML with the aid of simple
XSLT transforms was going to solve every connectivity problem. Once
data was in XML it could obviously(sic) be translated to any other
required XML input format.

Look at 2001 / 2002, and how all these grand schemes had failed.
Mostly they failed because the transform was indeed possible, but
there was no manageable or practical way to construct the necessary
stylesheet. For some cases, it turns out that transformations at the
level represented by XML and manipulable through XSLT were inadequate
anyway.

Consider how this applies to your problem. If you find such a
transform, or a way of making such transforms up for a generalised
input domain, then you're the next Page & Brin.

WideBoy

On Jan 23, 4:41 pm, Joseph Kesselman <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> Ah. I presume you mean as defined inhttp://developers.sun.com/jsenterprise/nb_enterprise_pack/reference/t...
>
> I don't happen to know of off-the-shelf stylesheets that convert between
> these structuring approaches, but I agree that it looks like stylesheets
> could automate a great deal of that conversion if not all of it.
> Interesting project, if someone has a bit of spare time to play with it.
>
> --
> Joe Kesselman / Beware the fury of a patient man. -- John Dryden

Joe.
The pattern I am referring to is precisely the one discussed in the
reference you gave.
I also learnt from that reference that perhaps NetBeans may solve my
problem so in the absence of a suitable style sheet this may be the
most expedient way for me to resolve my little problem.

Thank you very much.

Best regards,

Naran