Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > 2008 Not Backward Compatible?

2008 Not Backward Compatible?

AndreZ

Hello,

I'm pretty new to the 64bit world, ok so new I've never installed it yet.
My original understanding is that 2008 would have compatabilty support for
32bit programs. But what i've been reading here It does not seem that way.
Can someone please point me in the direction that has some clarity?

I'm considering going to a 64bit TS application server with 2008, and for
the most part all of our programs should work fine. However there are a few
small programs of which I'm uncertain. They are not complex programs, pretty
much accounting or Record of employment programs.. but I'm worried they
won't work....

Any tips/direction will be appreciated.

Thanks
Andre

Colin Barnhorst

Perhaps there is some confusion on the meaning of compatibility.
32bit-software will run fine on a 64bit OS. However, as with any 64-bit
Windows, 64-bit drivers are required so if the software relies on a driver
it has to be a 64-bit driver. If any element of a program is 16-bit, such
as the installer, that will not work on any 64-bit system. But there is not
a general compatibility problem such as you might find between, say, Windows
and Linux.

I recommend you start with
http://www.microsoft.com/servers/64bit/overview.mspx

"AndreZ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello,
>
> I'm pretty new to the 64bit world, ok so new I've never installed it yet.
> My original understanding is that 2008 would have compatabilty support for
> 32bit programs. But what i've been reading here It does not seem that way.
> Can someone please point me in the direction that has some clarity?
>
> I'm considering going to a 64bit TS application server with 2008, and for
> the most part all of our programs should work fine. However there are a
> few
> small programs of which I'm uncertain. They are not complex programs,
> pretty
> much accounting or Record of employment programs.. but I'm worried they
> won't work....
>
> Any tips/direction will be appreciated.
>
> Thanks
> Andre

Charlie Russel - MVP

The rules for compatibility haven't changed from Windows Server 2003 to
Windows Server 2008, in general. Most 32-bit applications should work fine.
The exceptions are those 32-bit applications that require a system level
driver and don't have a signed, 64-bit driver available. And those 32-bit
applications that have a 16-bit installer. There is NO support for 16-bit
applications in any 64-bit MS operating system.

See
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...4benefits.mspx
for some useful background on 64-bit from a Server perspective.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

"AndreZ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello,
>
> I'm pretty new to the 64bit world, ok so new I've never installed it yet.
> My original understanding is that 2008 would have compatabilty support for
> 32bit programs. But what i've been reading here It does not seem that way.
> Can someone please point me in the direction that has some clarity?
>
> I'm considering going to a 64bit TS application server with 2008, and for
> the most part all of our programs should work fine. However there are a
> few
> small programs of which I'm uncertain. They are not complex programs,
> pretty
> much accounting or Record of employment programs.. but I'm worried they
> won't work....
>
> Any tips/direction will be appreciated.
>
> Thanks
> Andre

Chuck Walbourn [MSFT]

It is worth nothing that there is usually a different triage bar for
appcompat problems between the Server and non-Server versions of Windows, so
some software might not work on Windows Server 2008 x64 but will work on
Windows Vista x64 for example. In general though, the codebases are all very
similiar these days.

--
Chuck Walbourn
SDE, XNA Developer Connection

Charlie Russel - MVP

That's a good point, and is true of hardware as well. I've got several old
Intel NICs that simply will NOT work in Server 2k3 x64. Work fine in XP x64,
which is the same code base. Too bad, they're all dual port Server grade
NICs, if only 10/100.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

"Chuck Walbourn [MSFT]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> It is worth nothing that there is usually a different triage bar for
> appcompat problems between the Server and non-Server versions of Windows,
> so some software might not work on Windows Server 2008 x64 but will work
> on Windows Vista x64 for example. In general though, the codebases are all
> very similiar these days.
>
> --
> Chuck Walbourn
> SDE, XNA Developer Connection

> rights.

AndreZ

Thank you

Colin, Charlie and Chuck, you've all been very helpful!

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...