Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > import/export bookmarks

import/export bookmarks

fred@fred's.place.net

My problem happens when I have to call on Acronis True Image to restore
my C: drive from my Acronis backup copy. Acronis, of course, reloads the
older bookmarks that existed at the time I made the backup. How do I get
rid of them so that I can import the newer ones I saved before
recovering my older C: drive image? The way it is now, the new ones
keep mingling with the old ones. It seems that something keeps me from
fully deleting the old ones before I import the new ones.

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo

fred@fred's.place.net wrote:
> My problem happens when I have to call on Acronis True Image to restore
> my C: drive from my Acronis backup copy. Acronis, of course, reloads the
> older bookmarks that existed at the time I made the backup. How do I get
> rid of them so that I can import the newer ones I saved before
> recovering my older C: drive image? The way it is now, the new ones
> keep mingling with the old ones. It seems that something keeps me from
> fully deleting the old ones before I import the new ones.

are these the original default bookmarks that are loaded
when you first install whatever program you're using? If so,
then you can't get rid of them. Just import the old copy,
then use the bookmark manager, and reorganize them and
remove the old ones.

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

JoeT@not.net.com

On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 13:56:03 -0800, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>fred@fred's.place.net wrote:
>> My problem happens when I have to call on Acronis True Image to restore
>> my C: drive from my Acronis backup copy. Acronis, of course, reloads the
>> older bookmarks that existed at the time I made the backup. How do I get
>> rid of them so that I can import the newer ones I saved before
>> recovering my older C: drive image? The way it is now, the new ones
>> keep mingling with the old ones. It seems that something keeps me from
>> fully deleting the old ones before I import the new ones.

>are these the original default bookmarks that are loaded
>when you first install whatever program you're using? If so,
>then you can't get rid of them. Just import the old copy,
>then use the bookmark manager, and reorganize them and
>remove the old ones.

I forgot to give the details. I'm using Firefox 2.0.0.11 with Win XP
sp2.

What do you mean by "reorganize them?"

Many of the bookmarks will be duplicates. I'm tired of sifting through
all of them and deleting the dups. Is that the only way to do this?
Why cannot the previous set be deleted?

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo

> On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 13:56:03 -0800, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> fred@fred's.place.net wrote:
>>> My problem happens when I have to call on Acronis True Image to restore
>>> my C: drive from my Acronis backup copy. Acronis, of course, reloads the
>>> older bookmarks that existed at the time I made the backup. How do I get
>>> rid of them so that I can import the newer ones I saved before
>>> recovering my older C: drive image? The way it is now, the new ones
>>> keep mingling with the old ones. It seems that something keeps me from
>>> fully deleting the old ones before I import the new ones.

>> are these the original default bookmarks that are loaded
>> when you first install whatever program you're using? If so,
>> then you can't get rid of them. Just import the old copy,
>> then use the bookmark manager, and reorganize them and
>> remove the old ones.

> I forgot to give the details. I'm using Firefox 2.0.0.11 with Win XP
> sp2.
>
> What do you mean by "reorganize them?"
>
> Many of the bookmarks will be duplicates. I'm tired of sifting through
> all of them and deleting the dups. Is that the only way to do this?
> Why cannot the previous set be deleted?

click on Bookmarks, Organize, Delete everything below the
line that says personal toolbar folder, then click on File,
Import, and import the other set of bookmarks from the
*File*. Now, you will get another Personal Toolbar Folder
folder. Select everything under that folder and move
everything up to the other personal toolbar folder. Delete
the newly added personal toolbar folder. Thats it.

The other way is to close FF, then use your file manager,
remove the old bookmarks.html file from the FF profile.
Then put the new one there. Restart FF.

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

Rom

On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 13:38:35 -0600, fred@fred's.place.net wrote:

> My problem happens when I have to call on Acronis True Image to restore
> my C: drive from my Acronis backup copy. Acronis, of course, reloads the
> older bookmarks that existed at the time I made the backup. How do I get
> rid of them so that I can import the newer ones I saved before
> recovering my older C: drive image?

By newer ones do you mean you saved a copy of/exported the
bookmarks.html file before reimaging?

If yes, with Firefox closed locate your Firefox profile:
<http://kb.mozillazine.org/Finding_the_profile_folder_on_Windows>
and either delete the old one (or copy it elsewhere if wanted) then
paste a copy of the new one in its place, or paste and overwrite the
old one.

<http://kb.mozillazine.org/Bookmarks> may have further info if needed.

--
Rom

fred@fred's.place.net

On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 16:08:42 -0800, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

snipped

>click on Bookmarks, Organize, Delete everything below the
>line that says personal toolbar folder, then click on File,
>Import, and import the other set of bookmarks from the
>*File*. Now, you will get another Personal Toolbar Folder
>folder. Select everything under that folder and move
>everything up to the other personal toolbar folder. Delete
>the newly added personal toolbar folder. Thats it.
>
>The other way is to close FF, then use your file manager,
>remove the old bookmarks.html file from the FF profile.
>Then put the new one there. Restart FF.

I'll keep this post and try this the next time I have to go through this
- which is kinda often since I like trying lots of trial versions of
programs. Quite a few of them are crapola and really screw up the
machine.

Thanks!

fred@fred's.place.net

On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 11:35:06 +1100, Rom <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 13:38:35 -0600, fred@fred's.place.net wrote:
>
>> My problem happens when I have to call on Acronis True Image to restore
>> my C: drive from my Acronis backup copy. Acronis, of course, reloads the
>> older bookmarks that existed at the time I made the backup. How do I get
>> rid of them so that I can import the newer ones I saved before
>> recovering my older C: drive image?

>By newer ones do you mean you saved a copy of/exported the
>bookmarks.html file before reimaging?
>
>If yes, with Firefox closed locate your Firefox profile:
><http://kb.mozillazine.org/Finding_the_profile_folder_on_Windows>
>and either delete the old one (or copy it elsewhere if wanted) then
>paste a copy of the new one in its place, or paste and overwrite the
>old one.
>
><http://kb.mozillazine.org/Bookmarks> may have further info if needed.

I'll also keep your suggestion for future use, although I've had
problems finding the dang bookmarks where all those help columns say
they are supposed to be. I've also tried deleting them in the past when
I did find them, but it never worked. I'm getting the feeling something
is seriously screwed up in my bookmark department. ;o)

Thanks for answering.

Andy Luddy

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 13:56:03 -0800, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> fred@fred's.place.net wrote:
>>> My problem happens when I have to call on Acronis True Image to restore
>>> my C: drive from my Acronis backup copy. Acronis, of course, reloads the
>>> older bookmarks that existed at the time I made the backup. How do I get
>>> rid of them so that I can import the newer ones I saved before
>>> recovering my older C: drive image? The way it is now, the new ones
>>> keep mingling with the old ones. It seems that something keeps me from
>>> fully deleting the old ones before I import the new ones.

>> are these the original default bookmarks that are loaded
>> when you first install whatever program you're using? If so,
>> then you can't get rid of them. Just import the old copy,
>> then use the bookmark manager, and reorganize them and
>> remove the old ones.

> I forgot to give the details. I'm using Firefox 2.0.0.11 with Win XP
> sp2.
>
> What do you mean by "reorganize them?"
>
> Many of the bookmarks will be duplicates. I'm tired of sifting through
> all of them and deleting the dups. Is that the only way to do this?
> Why cannot the previous set be deleted?

If duplicate bookmarks are a problem for you, you might want to consider
the Bookmark Duplicate Detector add-on, available at
<https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1553>

Andy

fred@fred's.place.net

On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 10:48:30 -0500, Andy Luddy
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
snipped
>If duplicate bookmarks are a problem for you, you might want to consider
>the Bookmark Duplicate Detector add-on, available at
><https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1553>
>
>Andy

I'll check it out.

Thank you.

Andy Luddy

fred@fred's.place.net wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 10:48:30 -0500, Andy Luddy
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> snipped
>> If duplicate bookmarks are a problem for you, you might want to consider
>> the Bookmark Duplicate Detector add-on, available at
>> <https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1553>
>>
>> Andy

> I'll check it out.
>
> Thank you.

As an added bonus, it will warn you if you bookmark a page when you
already have a bookmark for that page. It's a warning only, though, so
if you want to bookmark a site a second time (say, to place it in
another folder) you are allowed.

Andy

mozilla won't save bookmarks Adam Bailey Firefox 3 10-06-2003 02:27 AM
how to use ONE bookmarks.html for ALL moz installs? Oskar Wild Firefox 1 09-19-2003 03:38 PM
Bookmarks Dave Firefox 0 08-31-2003 07:39 PM
Newbie - Bookmarks from IE favorites Ted Doubtfire Firefox 1 07-24-2003 07:46 PM
Moving bookmarks zadok Firefox 0 07-07-2003 11:56 PM

Advertisments