Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Buying new LCD monitor - help?

Buying new LCD monitor - help?

Bob Petruska

Dave,

I guess I'm disappointed in LCDs as they are not going to be very good for
photo editing from what I heard here and read. My old Sony will just need
to hang around until they design and develop something better!

I just may go to Office Depot and check out those 17" CRT units!

In a way we just don't advance for the better much in this world anymore.

I find film better than digital because of the better dynamic range.

LCD/Plasma TVs with motion blur, grey blacks, dead/hot pixels, etc. are
definitely not as good as CRT TV units.

Internal combusion engines superior to hybrid and electric poweplants.

Those guys that developed these items more than 60 years ago knew what was
going to stay around and work very well!

"David Ruether" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:47962b71$0$10977$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Bob Petruska" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>> The more I read and discuss LCD monitors the more I like my CRT as there
>> there are really no flaws with it besides the smaller 17 inch screen. It
>> has variable resolution without blurring the text, extremely little
>> staircasing on diagonals, very sharp text, black blacks, no motion blur,
>> uniform lighting (no back lighting bleed through), etc. etc. But I guess
>> it's time to advance and learn to live with the eventual death of the
>> CRT. I just don't want to make an expensive mistake going to a high end
>> LCD monitor and not liking it as much as the CRT.

> Do what I do - run both and extend the "desktop" to
> both using a dual-head video card. I have a new 24"
> Acer LCD (1920x1200, and with some obvious color
> errors though it is a PVA type acording to a web page
> listing) and an old Sony 17" 200ES (run at 1024x76.
> I can easily shift the image I'm working on over to the
> CRT for color checking (well, maybe not all that easily,
> since for available space reasons, the CRT screen is
> stuck behind my right elbow.... BTW, the local used
> computer store sells nice CRTs (17" and up) VERY
> cheaply, and Office Depot had some new 17s for $20
> after rebate - maybe it is time to stock up...
> --
> David Ruether
> www.donferrario.com/ruether

John Navas

On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 16:26:15 -0500, "Bob Petruska"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
<(E-Mail Removed)>:

>In a way we just don't advance for the better much in this world anymore.
>
>I find film better than digital because of the better dynamic range.

Exposure range of slide film: about 5 stops
Exposure range of negative film: about 8 stops
Exposure range of digital: about 10 stops with a good imager
<http://www.clarkvision.com/imagedetail/dynamicrange2/>

--
Best regards,
John Navas

Ilya Zakharevich

John Navas
<(E-Mail Removed)>], who wrote in article <(E-Mail Removed)>:
> Exposure range of slide film: about 5 stops
> Exposure range of negative film: about 8 stops
> Exposure range of digital: about 10 stops with a good imager
> <http://www.clarkvision.com/imagedetail/dynamicrange2/>

One should keep in mind that the discussion of film on this page is
more or less BS. Roger measures noise on 6.2um x 6.2um squares of film,
and thinks that what he measures is related to dynamic range.

It is not,
Ilya

John Navas

On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 21:57:47 +0000 (UTC), Ilya Zakharevich
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in <fn5osr$1g9k$(E-Mail Removed)>:

>[A complimentary Cc of this posting was sent to
>John Navas
><(E-Mail Removed)>], who wrote in article <(E-Mail Removed)>:
>> Exposure range of slide film: about 5 stops
>> Exposure range of negative film: about 8 stops
>> Exposure range of digital: about 10 stops with a good imager
>> <http://www.clarkvision.com/imagedetail/dynamicrange2/>

>One should keep in mind that the discussion of film on this page is
>more or less BS. Roger measures noise on 6.2um x 6.2um squares of film,
>and thinks that what he measures is related to dynamic range.
>
>It is not,

Those are in fact commonly accepted values.

I'm done with you on this too.

--
Best regards,
John Navas
Panasonic DMC-FZ8 (and several others)

Kinon O'Cann

"Bob Petruska" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Dave,
>
> I guess I'm disappointed in LCDs as they are not going to be very good for
> photo editing from what I heard here and read. My old Sony will just need
> to hang around until they design and develop something better!
>
> I just may go to Office Depot and check out those 17" CRT units!
>

> In a way we just don't advance for the better much in this world anymore.
>
> I find film better than digital because of the better dynamic range.
>
> LCD/Plasma TVs with motion blur, grey blacks, dead/hot pixels, etc. are
> definitely not as good as CRT TV units.
>
> Internal combusion engines superior to hybrid and electric poweplants.
>

> Those guys that developed these items more than 60 years ago knew what was
> going to stay around and work very well!

Don't give up on LCDs for photoediting until you've actually see a
calibrated S-IPS display. They are really, really nice...