Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Windows Media Player won't play BBC Planet Earth

Windows Media Player won't play BBC Planet Earth

Phisherman

I have Windows Media Player 11.0.5358.4827 on an WinXP PC and when I
attempted to play BBC Planet Earth (new out of the box) I got the
message

Windows Media Player can not play the DVD because a problem occurred
with digital copywright protection.

I tried the same disc on a (friend's) Vista PC with Windows Media
Player 11.0.6000.6336 and the disc plays fine. How can I play this
disc on my PC? I have played many newly-released DVD movies on my PC
without any issues, so I'm wondering if there is something special
about Planet Earth's discs? Or, do I need to upgrade some software
on my PC?

PapaBear

Try something different. I dumped Windows Media Player a long time ago, and
now use the free PowerDVD 5 from Cyberlink. It came on the install disc when
I bought a LG burner last year. I've also tried their 6 version, but 5 works
a lot better for me on XP Home SP2 with 2GHz processor, 1G RAM. I suspect 6
requires a bigger faster machine(?). I get excellent smooth playbacks with 5
even while multitasking other software to the max.
--
Max U Genius, formerly just Max...

"Phisherman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have Windows Media Player 11.0.5358.4827 on an WinXP PC and when I
> attempted to play BBC Planet Earth (new out of the box) I got the
> message
>
> Windows Media Player can not play the DVD because a problem occurred
> with digital copywright protection.
>
> I tried the same disc on a (friend's) Vista PC with Windows Media
> Player 11.0.6000.6336 and the disc plays fine. How can I play this
> disc on my PC? I have played many newly-released DVD movies on my PC
> without any issues, so I'm wondering if there is something special
> about Planet Earth's discs? Or, do I need to upgrade some software
> on my PC?

Phisherman

On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 12:48:02 -0600, "PapaBear" <(E-Mail Removed)2x>
wrote:

>Try something different. I dumped Windows Media Player a long time ago, and
>now use the free PowerDVD 5 from Cyberlink. It came on the install disc when
>I bought a LG burner last year. I've also tried their 6 version, but 5 works
>a lot better for me on XP Home SP2 with 2GHz processor, 1G RAM. I suspect 6
>requires a bigger faster machine(?). I get excellent smooth playbacks with 5
>even while multitasking other software to the max.

Thanks. I found that Intervideo Home Theater plays the original disc.
I tried copying an original disc and the copy is playable on Windows
Media Player! I use Windows Media Player most of the time, but now I
don't totally trust it.

PapaBear

"Phisherman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 12:48:02 -0600, "PapaBear" <(E-Mail Removed)2x>
> wrote:
>
>>Try something different. I dumped Windows Media Player a long time ago,
>>and
>>now use the free PowerDVD 5 from Cyberlink. It came on the install disc
>>when
>>I bought a LG burner last year. I've also tried their 6 version, but 5
>>works
>>a lot better for me on XP Home SP2 with 2GHz processor, 1G RAM. I suspect
>>6
>>requires a bigger faster machine(?). I get excellent smooth playbacks with
>>5
>>even while multitasking other software to the max.

> Thanks. I found that Intervideo Home Theater plays the original disc.
> I tried copying an original disc and the copy is playable on Windows
> Media Player! I use Windows Media Player most of the time, but now I
> don't totally trust it.

Another one I see recommended, but haven't tried, VLC Media Player:
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/
It's free Linux stuff, and I'm not a fan of Linux stuff for windows. Also
some of the links on their website hang my browser. Nevertheless...it might
be a possibility.