Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > XML > Element Problems in XML FIle

Element Problems in XML FIle

Rodtech

I have probably a simple question, but I've searched the net high and
low, and even these forums to no avail. The question is simply this: I
am using Carousel 3, and have my images working properly, and even the
application in general. What i'd like to do is embed urls in the text,
however i'm finding the (") issue preventing this from happening in an
element in the XML file. Initially I thought there was a way around
using the quotes so that I could provide links in the text, but i'm
losing a lot of hair as well as sleep trying to solve this problem.
Any help would be appreciated.

In case my wording is confusing: what i'm trying to accomplish is
this:

<icon image="icon1.png" tooltip="This is the Tooltip" content="This is
the content and a link ((http://www.anyurl.com)) that i'd like to make
clickable for a user." />

Thanks in Advance,

roddy

Peter Flynn

Rodtech wrote:
> I have probably a simple question, but I've searched the net high and
> low, and even these forums to no avail. The question is simply this: I
> am using Carousel 3, and have my images working properly, and even the
> application in general. What i'd like to do is embed urls in the text,
> however i'm finding the (") issue preventing this from happening in an
> element in the XML file. Initially I thought there was a way around
> using the quotes so that I could provide links in the text, but i'm
> losing a lot of hair as well as sleep trying to solve this problem.
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> In case my wording is confusing: what i'm trying to accomplish is
> this:
>
> <icon image="icon1.png" tooltip="This is the Tooltip" content="This is
> the content and a link ((http://www.anyurl.com)) that i'd like to make
> clickable for a user." />

I'm afraid I don't quite understand your problem with quotes.

If you have lengthy textual content, it's probably best to make it
PCDATA content:

<icon image="icon1.png" tooltip="This is the Tooltip"
link="http://www.anyurl.com">This is the content that I'd like to make
clickable for a user.</icon>

If you badly need to embed the URI in the text, create an element type
to hold it:

<icon image="icon1.png" tooltip="This is the Tooltip">This is the
content and a URI (<link uri="http://www.anyurl.com"/>) that I'd like to
make clickable for a user.</icon>

If you need to express the association between the icon and the link,
you can either reply on the link being a child element of the icon, or
make it explicit with an ID/IDREF pair of attributes.

///Peter
--
XML FAQ: http://xml.silmaril.ie/