Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > vista wireless connection has decided to go "local only"

Reply
Thread Tools

vista wireless connection has decided to go "local only"

 
 
billcoumbe@hotmail.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-21-2008
Hi

I have a belkin wireless router modem, an OS 9 Mac and a Vista
laptop ...

I got the laptop a few months ago and initially had some hassle
getting it connected to the internet, but after a few wasted hours I
got it working.

Suddenly this morning the laptop won't get any further than the router
- the connection is "local only". The seven year old Mac is connected
to the internet fine. The router sees the laptop and the laptop sees
the router. But no internet connection from the laptop.

afaik nothing has been changed on the laptop or the router. The
wireless signal strength is excellent.

I've spent some time trawling the internet but there doesn't seem to
be a definite answer for this (common) problem.

As far as I'm concerned the laptop/OS isn't fit for purpose, so before
I get the local Trading Standards office involved to get my money back
can anyone suggest a solution?

(... to think, I could have bought another Mac instead of this
garbage!)
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-21-2008
You may want to disable IPv6 for a test. Or this search result may help.
Please post back with the result.

Vista Local Only and Limited or Not ConnectivityVista Limited connectivity
Vista: Local only - no Internet issues Vista - Local Connection Only Vista
Wireless Limited or No Connectivity ...
www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistalocalonly.htm


--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on
http://www.HowToNetworking.com


<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
>
> I have a belkin wireless router modem, an OS 9 Mac and a Vista
> laptop ...
>
> I got the laptop a few months ago and initially had some hassle
> getting it connected to the internet, but after a few wasted hours I
> got it working.
>
> Suddenly this morning the laptop won't get any further than the router
> - the connection is "local only". The seven year old Mac is connected
> to the internet fine. The router sees the laptop and the laptop sees
> the router. But no internet connection from the laptop.
>
> afaik nothing has been changed on the laptop or the router. The
> wireless signal strength is excellent.
>
> I've spent some time trawling the internet but there doesn't seem to
> be a definite answer for this (common) problem.
>
> As far as I'm concerned the laptop/OS isn't fit for purpose, so before
> I get the local Trading Standards office involved to get my money back
> can anyone suggest a solution?
>
> (... to think, I could have bought another Mac instead of this
> garbage!)


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
billcoumbe@hotmail.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-21-2008
Hi Bob

Thank you - I think you fixed it! IPv6 was already disabled, among
other things. But I did the search you suggested which led me to your
post at http://www.vistax64.com/vista-networ...net-vista.html

Having read that page I tried this - control panel > device manager >
network adapters > your network card > properties > advanced > speed
and duplex - I wasn't exactly sure what I was doing at this point but
I set this to 100Mb half and it works! Let's hope it stays that
way ...

But how come this sort of information isn't easily accessible on the
computer manufacturer's and operating system company's websites ...?

Robert L. (MS-MVP) wrote:
> You may want to disable IPv6 for a test. Or this search result may help.
> Please post back with the result.
>
> Vista Local Only and Limited or Not ConnectivityVista Limited connectivity
> Vista: Local only - no Internet issues Vista - Local Connection Only Vista
> Wireless Limited or No Connectivity ...
> www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistalocalonly.htm
>
>
> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>
>
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi
> >
> > I have a belkin wireless router modem, an OS 9 Mac and a Vista
> > laptop ...
> >
> > I got the laptop a few months ago and initially had some hassle
> > getting it connected to the internet, but after a few wasted hours I
> > got it working.
> >
> > Suddenly this morning the laptop won't get any further than the router
> > - the connection is "local only". The seven year old Mac is connected
> > to the internet fine. The router sees the laptop and the laptop sees
> > the router. But no internet connection from the laptop.
> >
> > afaik nothing has been changed on the laptop or the router. The
> > wireless signal strength is excellent.
> >
> > I've spent some time trawling the internet but there doesn't seem to
> > be a definite answer for this (common) problem.
> >
> > As far as I'm concerned the laptop/OS isn't fit for purpose, so before
> > I get the local Trading Standards office involved to get my money back
> > can anyone suggest a solution?
> >
> > (... to think, I could have bought another Mac instead of this
> > garbage!)

 
Reply With Quote
 
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-22-2008
Thank you for the feedback.
--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on
http://www.HowToNetworking.com


<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Bob
>
> Thank you - I think you fixed it! IPv6 was already disabled, among
> other things. But I did the search you suggested which led me to your
> post at
> http://www.vistax64.com/vista-networ...net-vista.html
>
> Having read that page I tried this - control panel > device manager >
> network adapters > your network card > properties > advanced > speed
> and duplex - I wasn't exactly sure what I was doing at this point but
> I set this to 100Mb half and it works! Let's hope it stays that
> way ...
>
> But how come this sort of information isn't easily accessible on the
> computer manufacturer's and operating system company's websites ...?
>
> Robert L. (MS-MVP) wrote:
>> You may want to disable IPv6 for a test. Or this search result may help.
>> Please post back with the result.
>>
>> Vista Local Only and Limited or Not ConnectivityVista Limited
>> connectivity
>> Vista: Local only - no Internet issues Vista - Local Connection Only
>> Vista
>> Wireless Limited or No Connectivity ...
>> www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistalocalonly.htm
>>
>>
>> --
>> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
>> Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on
>> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
>> How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on
>> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>>
>>
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Hi
>> >
>> > I have a belkin wireless router modem, an OS 9 Mac and a Vista
>> > laptop ...
>> >
>> > I got the laptop a few months ago and initially had some hassle
>> > getting it connected to the internet, but after a few wasted hours I
>> > got it working.
>> >
>> > Suddenly this morning the laptop won't get any further than the router
>> > - the connection is "local only". The seven year old Mac is connected
>> > to the internet fine. The router sees the laptop and the laptop sees
>> > the router. But no internet connection from the laptop.
>> >
>> > afaik nothing has been changed on the laptop or the router. The
>> > wireless signal strength is excellent.
>> >
>> > I've spent some time trawling the internet but there doesn't seem to
>> > be a definite answer for this (common) problem.
>> >
>> > As far as I'm concerned the laptop/OS isn't fit for purpose, so before
>> > I get the local Trading Standards office involved to get my money back
>> > can anyone suggest a solution?
>> >
>> > (... to think, I could have bought another Mac instead of this
>> > garbage!)


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Why have my two front USB ports decided not to work? ///Owen\\\\\\ Computer Support 6 06-05-2005 07:29 PM
So many things that need to be decided.... Heather Stovold Python 14 05-06-2005 04:09 AM
HELP!!...ASPI Manager decided.. Zippo Computer Support 2 12-15-2004 05:00 AM
Anyone know if they've decided on which codec to use for HD-DVD format? Jason DVD Video 6 09-16-2003 09:01 PM
Decided. Ross Allan Digital Photography 0 08-18-2003 05:20 PM



Advertisments