Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Minimum resolution of web page?

Minimum resolution of web page?

Sarah Houston

"Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote :

> Sarah Houston wrote:
>
>> If I'm designing my own basic web pages, what's the minimum
>> resolution of web page viewers out there, that I should conform to?
>>
>> 800 wide?
>>
>> IOW,how wide can I design my web pages, and know that almost
>> everyone will be able to view them properly?

> Let your visitor decide.
> http://allmyfaqs.net/faq.pl?AnySizeDesign
>
> Your 800 pixel page would look silly on my 22" widescreen. What about
> people on mobile phones and PDAs?
>
> (No, I rarely have the browser maximized... it's just a point.)

Thanks. I need to learn that.

why?

On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 17:51:49 -0000, Synapse Syndrome wrote:

>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>>
>>>If I'm designing my own basic web pages, what's the minimum resolution of
>>>web page viewers out there, that I should conform to?
>>>
>>>800 wide?

>> Wrong idea, it should flow although many don't, generally a good design
>> will take care of this.
>>

>*******s. Not many professionally designed sites use liquid layouts. Most
>use CSS with absolute positioning these days.

Because it's easier not to, company identidy and graphics often
provided don't care about usability. It doesn't help doing fast throw
togethers based on templates either.

Me

Blinky the Shark

Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

> Blinky the Shark wrote:
>
>> Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
>>>
>>> Ah. Mine is a 226BW.

>> It's my first Samsung monitor. How d'ya like yours?

> This one is my second. I have a 17" which is now on the spouse's computer.
> I like them fine. I selected this 226BW because it has the narrowest
> plastic around the working part of the screen. It was also sharper than
> anything else in its price range.

I like small frames, too. A hair less than 3/4 inch on this one, on the
sides and top and about 7/8 inch on the bottom. And black like yours.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Synapse Syndrome wrote:

> "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote:
>> Fault of the template, also built by people with no imagination, and
>> who know little about accessibility and usability. Post the question
>> in alt.html and see what kind of answers y'all get.

> Who's interested in the ugly little homepages that they are concerned
> with.

I see you have posted there, and have received numerous answers from the
folks with ugly little homepages. <g> I did see your first post before
I left for a meeting, and refrained from answering.

I do thank you for writing your last paragraph in your reply to Nik
Coughlin.

--
-bts
-Friends don't let friends drive Vista

why?

reposted with no archive removed.

On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 23:23:45 GMT, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

>Synapse Syndrome wrote:
>
>> "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote:
>>> Fault of the template, also built by people with no imagination, and
>>> who know little about accessibility and usability. Post the question
>>> in alt.html and see what kind of answers y'all get.

>> Who's interested in the ugly little homepages that they are concerned
>> with.

>I see you have posted there, and have received numerous answers from the
>folks with ugly little homepages. <g> I did see your first post before
>I left for a meeting, and refrained from answering.
>
>I do thank you for writing your last paragraph in your reply to Nik
>Coughlin.

Liked the remark from SS, there as well.

Me