Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > William Poaster is a Lying Arsehole

William Poaster is a Lying Arsehole

Nomen Nescio

From: William Poaster
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 08:11:46 +0100

"In fact I've not used Windoze since 1997, when I quit dual booting & moved
*completely* over to linux."

From: "Geoff Fitton" <(E-Mail Removed)>
Date: 2000/10/13

philo

"Nomen Nescio" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> From: William Poaster
> Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 08:11:46 +0100
>
> "In fact I've not used Windoze since 1997, when I quit dual booting &

moved
> *completely* over to linux."

LOL

Back in 1997 Linux was pretty rudimentary

Red Hat 4.2 was out back then and hardly a good alternative to Windows.

Just for the heck of it I did an installation of RH4.2 in maybe the year
2001...
just to see what it was. I think WFWG3.11 would have been a better OS.

By the year 2002 or so...Linux was starting to get pretty decent.

But one using Linux exclusively in 1997, though possible of course...
is not terribly likely

Moshe Goldfarb

On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 17:07:24 -0600, philo wrote:

> "Nomen Nescio" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>

>> From: William Poaster
>> Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 08:11:46 +0100
>>
>> "In fact I've not used Windoze since 1997, when I quit dual booting &

> moved
>> *completely* over to linux."
>>

> LOL
>
> Back in 1997 Linux was pretty rudimentary
>
> Red Hat 4.2 was out back then and hardly a good alternative to Windows.
>
> Just for the heck of it I did an installation of RH4.2 in maybe the year
> 2001...
> just to see what it was. I think WFWG3.11 would have been a better OS.
>
> By the year 2002 or so...Linux was starting to get pretty decent.
>
> But one using Linux exclusively in 1997, though possible of course...
> is not terribly likely

1997 seems to be a very popular year for moving to Linux.
Terry Porter used to quote the "I've been using Linux since 1997" line all
the time.
So have a few other people.

So what's with 1997?
A full lunar eclipse or something?

El Patriota©

"philo" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..

> "Nomen Nescio" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>

>snip<

Go wash your mouth!

--
"Freedom of speech, use it or lose it"

http://communities.zeelandnet.nl/dat...showpage=52538

"I don't kiss ass, I kick it!"

philo

"Moshe Goldfarb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:hyp0hg7bbtsz$(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 17:07:24 -0600, philo wrote:
>
> > "Nomen Nescio" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >>

> >> From: William Poaster
> >> Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 08:11:46 +0100
> >>
> >> "In fact I've not used Windoze since 1997, when I quit dual booting &

> > moved
> >> *completely* over to linux."
> >>

> > LOL
> >
> > Back in 1997 Linux was pretty rudimentary
> >
> > Red Hat 4.2 was out back then and hardly a good alternative to Windows.
> >
> > Just for the heck of it I did an installation of RH4.2 in maybe the year
> > 2001...
> > just to see what it was. I think WFWG3.11 would have been a better OS.
> >
> > By the year 2002 or so...Linux was starting to get pretty decent.
> >
> > But one using Linux exclusively in 1997, though possible of course...
> > is not terribly likely

> 1997 seems to be a very popular year for moving to Linux.
> Terry Porter used to quote the "I've been using Linux since 1997" line all
> the time.
> So have a few other people.
>
> So what's with 1997?
> A full lunar eclipse or something?

Although I'm an old timer...who actually programmed in FORTRAN back in the
60's
during the days of punch cards.
I hated computers so much that I stayed away from them until 1999...
so I missed what was going on in 1997...

However...I gather that 1997 was the first time that Linux took it's first
step toward becomming
a desktop OS for the PC

Moshe Goldfarb

On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 17:22:17 -0600, philo wrote:

> "Moshe Goldfarb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:hyp0hg7bbtsz$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 17:07:24 -0600, philo wrote:
>>
>>> "Nomen Nescio" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> moved
>>>>

>>> LOL
>>>
>>> Back in 1997 Linux was pretty rudimentary
>>>
>>> Red Hat 4.2 was out back then and hardly a good alternative to Windows.
>>>
>>> Just for the heck of it I did an installation of RH4.2 in maybe the year
>>> 2001...
>>> just to see what it was. I think WFWG3.11 would have been a better OS.
>>>
>>> By the year 2002 or so...Linux was starting to get pretty decent.
>>>
>>> But one using Linux exclusively in 1997, though possible of course...
>>> is not terribly likely

>> 1997 seems to be a very popular year for moving to Linux.
>> Terry Porter used to quote the "I've been using Linux since 1997" line all
>> the time.
>> So have a few other people.
>>
>> So what's with 1997?
>> A full lunar eclipse or something?

> Although I'm an old timer...who actually programmed in FORTRAN back in the
> 60's
> during the days of punch cards.
> I hated computers so much that I stayed away from them until 1999...
> so I missed what was going on in 1997...
>
> However...I gather that 1997 was the first time that Linux took it's first
> step toward becomming
> a desktop OS for the PC

So did I!
At the undergraduate level though.

I would punch my cards on an IBM 129 keypunch and hand them to the priest
behind the glass window.
The priest would in turn hand them to the high priest, who was the only
person allowed to actually touch the IBM card reader and he would feed them
in.
Usually I screwed something up and would have to start again.

My crowning achievement was a Fortran program to calculate the flight path
of my Estes Rockets.

I ended up going into hardware because I was a terrible programmer.

philo

"Mara" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 17:22:17 -0600, "philo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> <snip>
> >Although I'm an old timer...who actually programmed in FORTRAN back in

the
> >60's
> >during the days of punch cards.
> >I hated computers so much that I stayed away from them until 1999...
> >so I missed what was going on in 1997...

> If you've been around that long you ought to know better than to get

involved in
> a deliberately crossposted thread started by a COLA troll.

No...No matter how old I get I never seem to learn anything at all...

except that sometimes you can learn something by having a good argument.

(and that of course is to stay away from arguments)

Mara

On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 17:22:17 -0600, "philo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

<snip>
>Although I'm an old timer...who actually programmed in FORTRAN back in the
>60's
>during the days of punch cards.
>I hated computers so much that I stayed away from them until 1999...
>so I missed what was going on in 1997...

If you've been around that long you ought to know better than to get involved in
a deliberately crossposted thread started by a COLA troll.

--
<rw-rw-rw-> I don't care if it can reproduce sound well enough for
dolphins to talk to each other through it, if you can't grep it it's

philo

<snip>

> > Although I'm an old timer...who actually programmed in FORTRAN back in

the
> > 60's
> > during the days of punch cards.
> > I hated computers so much that I stayed away from them until 1999...
> > so I missed what was going on in 1997...
> >
> > However...I gather that 1997 was the first time that Linux took it's

first
> > step toward becomming
> > a desktop OS for the PC

> So did I!
> At the undergraduate level though.
>
> I would punch my cards on an IBM 129 keypunch and hand them to the priest
> behind the glass window.
> The priest would in turn hand them to the high priest, who was the only
> person allowed to actually touch the IBM card reader and he would feed

them
> in.
> Usually I screwed something up and would have to start again.
>
> My crowning achievement was a Fortran program to calculate the flight path
> of my Estes Rockets.
>
> I ended up going into hardware because I was a terrible programmer.

Yes. I was a Sophomore at Milwaukee School of Engineering when I did that
FORTRAN-IV.
It was terrible. If you submitted a program which was missing so much as one
unambiguous parentheses...
the entire program would terminate.
Since there were long lines to wait in...It took all day just to make sure
you did not have any typos...
then the rest of the week debugging your program!

Even after I got a job and went to night school for more education...I was
shocked beyond
belief that I was still using a key punch machine as late as 1979!

Though I did purchase a TI-99 in 1982 when the price dropped to $50...
and though I did write a few programs in BASIC...I got rid of the machine
when the game port died!

So about the time that the PC first came out...and everyone was jumping on
the bandwagon...
I jumped off!
It was 1999 when I got back into computers!

BTW: I used to build model rockets too. Those were the days!

Mara

On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 17:46:22 -0600, "philo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Mara" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 17:22:17 -0600, "philo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> <snip>
>> >Although I'm an old timer...who actually programmed in FORTRAN back in

>the
>> >60's
>> >during the days of punch cards.
>> >I hated computers so much that I stayed away from them until 1999...
>> >so I missed what was going on in 1997...

>> If you've been around that long you ought to know better than to get

>involved in
>> a deliberately crossposted thread started by a COLA troll.
>>

>No...No matter how old I get I never seem to learn anything at all...

Well, here's something for you then.

1. There is no other reason to bring up a post from 2006.

2. SuSE Linux was originally released in 1994, and that's what WP ran until
lately, when he started experimenting with other *Linux* distros.

3. If it's crossposted from COLA to 24, it's either a troll or a response to a
troll, probably started by flatfish or clogwog, and continued by people who
react first and think...well, hopefully at some point.