Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Linksys router woes

Linksys router woes

Dane Beko

FamilyNet International Newsgate

I have a cable modem hooked to a Linksys wired router (model #
BEFSR41). This is an older model, version 2, that I picked up at a
rummage sale for $10. It had firmware dated 2001 and I updated it to
firmware dated 2004 (latest available on the Linksys website).

I purchased this router because the router before it, another BEFSR41,
v4) was not providing dynamic IPs on my home network from time to
time. Any device on the home network that I had configured for a
static IP was not impacted. The first router would drop connectivity
for any DHCP-computer but devices with static IPs worked fine
(connectivity-wise). Only rebooting the router would get things back
to normal (and only then after rebooting the router a few times).

I got tired of putzing with it so I bought a used one to replace it.

This one has been working OK but... Now it drops **Internet**
connectivity to every device on the network (static IPs or DHCP) but
the internal network is not impacted. I can still see networked HDs,
print to the print server, etc. Only Internet connectivity is
impacted now. It happens a few times / hour for about 30-60 seconds
at a time.

I run WinXP on every computer. I'll get the "a network cable has been
unplugged" error message and then "connected - 100mbs" right after
that and the internet connectivity starts working again.

Before I run out to get yet another router, does anyone have any
suggestions about why this might be happening?

Thanks!

FamilyNet <> Internet Gated Mail
http://www.familynet-international.org

old man

Linksys chipset compatilbity issues

"Dane Beko" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> FamilyNet International Newsgate
>
> I have a cable modem hooked to a Linksys wired router (model #
> BEFSR41). This is an older model, version 2, that I picked up at a
> rummage sale for $10. It had firmware dated 2001 and I updated it to
> firmware dated 2004 (latest available on the Linksys website).
>
> I purchased this router because the router before it, another BEFSR41,
> v4) was not providing dynamic IPs on my home network from time to
> time. Any device on the home network that I had configured for a
> static IP was not impacted. The first router would drop connectivity
> for any DHCP-computer but devices with static IPs worked fine
> (connectivity-wise). Only rebooting the router would get things back
> to normal (and only then after rebooting the router a few times).
>
> I got tired of putzing with it so I bought a used one to replace it.
>
> This one has been working OK but... Now it drops **Internet**
> connectivity to every device on the network (static IPs or DHCP) but
> the internal network is not impacted. I can still see networked HDs,
> print to the print server, etc. Only Internet connectivity is
> impacted now. It happens a few times / hour for about 30-60 seconds
> at a time.
>
> I run WinXP on every computer. I'll get the "a network cable has been
> unplugged" error message and then "connected - 100mbs" right after
> that and the internet connectivity starts working again.
>
> Before I run out to get yet another router, does anyone have any
> suggestions about why this might be happening?
>
> Thanks!
>

> FamilyNet <> Internet Gated Mail
> http://www.familynet-international.org

Brett Kline

Dane Beko wrote:

> I purchased this router because the router before it, another BEFSR41,
> v4) was not providing dynamic IPs on my home network from time to
> time. Any device on the home network that I had configured for a
> static IP was not impacted. The first router would drop connectivity
> for any DHCP-computer but devices with static IPs worked fine
> (connectivity-wise). Only rebooting the router would get things back
> to normal (and only then after rebooting the router a few times).
>
> I got tired of putzing with it so I bought a used one to replace it.
>
> This one has been working OK but... Now it drops **Internet**
> connectivity to every device on the network (static IPs or DHCP) but
> the internal network is not impacted. I can still see networked HDs,
> print to the print server, etc. Only Internet connectivity is
> impacted now. It happens a few times / hour for about 30-60 seconds
> at a time.
>
> I run WinXP on every computer. I'll get the "a network cable has been
> unplugged" error message and then "connected - 100mbs" right after
> that and the internet connectivity starts working again.
>
> Before I run out to get yet another router, does anyone have any
> suggestions about why this might be happening?

Have you tried connecting a single PC with firewall enabled directly to
the cable or xDSL modem?

sittingduck

Dane Beko wrote:

> Before I run out to get yet another router, does anyone have any
> suggestions about why this might be happening?

Yeah, those routers are crap. Go get a new one.

--
http://improve-usenet.org

20 Jan 08 16:57, "old man" ((E-Mail Removed)) wrote to all:

OM> Linksys chipset compatilbity issues

Is there a way to fix this? Different router brand? D-Link perhaps? That
sort of thing? Thanks!

On 20 Jan 08, Brett Kline ((E-Mail Removed)) wrote to all:

BK> Have you tried connecting a single PC with firewall enabled directly
BK> to the cable or xDSL modem?

I haven't yet, no. I was just seeing if there's something else that could be
wrong before taking this step. It's a PITA to do..

On 20 Jan 08 01:12, sittingduck wrote to all:

SI> Yeah, those routers are crap. Go get a new one.

I've had good luck with Linksys routers in the past but which brand of router
would you buy to replace this one? Thanks!

Dane Beko wrote:
> On 20 Jan 08, Brett Kline ((E-Mail Removed)) wrote to all:
>
> BK> Have you tried connecting a single PC with firewall enabled directly
> BK> to the cable or xDSL modem?
>

> I haven't yet, no. I was just seeing if there's something else that

could be
> wrong before taking this step. It's a PITA to do..

While it may not be simple to accomplish, it's worth trying for a 24
hour period. If the problem persists you may have a bad NIC or a problem
with the modem.

pcbutts1

El barato sale caro
Translation: the cheap comes out expensive.
Buy a new one.

In a message to All, Pcbutts1 wrote:

Pc> El barato sale caro Translation: the cheap comes out expensive.
Pc> Buy a new one.

I agree with the "el barato sale caro"; my wife says that quite often.
I've put a brand-new Linksys router online, configured it and so
let's see what happens. Thanks, everyone.