Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > 802.11i implementation

802.11i implementation

Arsene

Is it possible to implement 802.11i in a home wireless network, with
computers running Windows XP Pro (SP2), an using any one of several
commercially available 802.11g routers (by Linksys, D-Link, etc.)?

Thanks in advance for any help

Arsene

Barb Bowman

802.11i includes WPA-AES and WPA2 both Personal and Enterprise. What
exactly are you trying to do? Are you asking about using Enterprise
level authentication? Please be specific. Many current routers
support having radius servers etc. on the network.

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP

Arsene

On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 16:04:48 -0500, Barb Bowman <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>802.11i includes WPA-AES and WPA2 both Personal and Enterprise. What
>exactly are you trying to do? Are you asking about using Enterprise
>level authentication? Please be specific. Many current routers
>support having radius servers etc. on the network.
>
>On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 20:05:22 GMT, Arsene <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Is it possible to implement 802.11i in a home wireless network, with
>>computers running Windows XP Pro (SP2), an using any one of several
>>commercially available 802.11g routers (by Linksys, D-Link, etc.)?
>>
>>Thanks in advance for any help
>>
>>Arsene

A most everyone else these days, I use the internet to complete
financial and investment transactions on a regular basis. Thus far, I
have limited myself to connecting to my cable modem strictly in a
wired manner, and use software wirewalls in all PCs.

I would like the freedom of being able to relocate my computer(s) as
needed within my house, without being restricted by the current
communications wiring layout, nor being the potential subject of a
local wireless hack.

Thus, while perhaps an Enterprise level security scheme might be
overkill, I would like to avoid encryption schemes that are apparently
extremely easy to break into, such as WAP. In other words, I would
like the strongest possible wireless protection that can be
implemented using run-of-the-mill wireless routers designed for the
home environment, and running WinXP.

Again, thanks for any help you may provide to help me achieve this
goal.

Arsene

Lem

Arsene wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 16:04:48 -0500, Barb Bowman <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> 802.11i includes WPA-AES and WPA2 both Personal and Enterprise. What
>> exactly are you trying to do? Are you asking about using Enterprise
>> level authentication? Please be specific. Many current routers
>> support having radius servers etc. on the network.
>>
>> On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 20:05:22 GMT, Arsene <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> Is it possible to implement 802.11i in a home wireless network, with
>>> computers running Windows XP Pro (SP2), an using any one of several
>>> commercially available 802.11g routers (by Linksys, D-Link, etc.)?
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance for any help
>>>
>>> Arsene

> A most everyone else these days, I use the internet to complete
> financial and investment transactions on a regular basis. Thus far, I
> have limited myself to connecting to my cable modem strictly in a
> wired manner, and use software wirewalls in all PCs.
>
> I would like the freedom of being able to relocate my computer(s) as
> needed within my house, without being restricted by the current
> communications wiring layout, nor being the potential subject of a
> local wireless hack.
>
> Thus, while perhaps an Enterprise level security scheme might be
> overkill, I would like to avoid encryption schemes that are apparently
> extremely easy to break into, such as WAP. In other words, I would
> like the strongest possible wireless protection that can be
> implemented using run-of-the-mill wireless routers designed for the
> home environment, and running WinXP.
>
> Again, thanks for any help you may provide to help me achieve this
> goal.
>
> Arsene

If all of your wifi equipment (that is, router and all wireless
adapters) can support WPA2, use that. WPA2, used with a non-trivial
password, should be unbreakable with tools available to non-governmental
snoops.

For password advice, see
http://www.microsoft.com/protect/you...rd/create.mspx

There are also various "password generators" available on the web.
Here's one: https://www.grc.com/passwords.htm
The problem with passwords like the one's grc generates is that no human
being could possibly remember them without writing them down. Then all
that a would-be intruder has to do is find the Post-It.

--
Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
801.11x (most common RADIUS Wireless server) serve few purposes, one of them
is to achieve secure, controlled, documented logon. This type of control is
Not adding to your security at home since you (and may be family members)
are th only users.
As far as WPA-AES it was Not as yet broken at any level. So as long as you
have Wireless hardware that can be configured with WPA-AES you as safe is it
could be.
In any case these pages can help you in understanding what the RADIUS
entails.
http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/tutorials...le.php/3114511
http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/tutorials...le.php/3287481
http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/tutorials...le.php/3289231
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Arsene" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 16:04:48 -0500, Barb Bowman <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>802.11i includes WPA-AES and WPA2 both Personal and Enterprise. What
>>exactly are you trying to do? Are you asking about using Enterprise
>>level authentication? Please be specific. Many current routers
>>support having radius servers etc. on the network.
>>
>>On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 20:05:22 GMT, Arsene <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>Is it possible to implement 802.11i in a home wireless network, with
>>>computers running Windows XP Pro (SP2), an using any one of several
>>>commercially available 802.11g routers (by Linksys, D-Link, etc.)?
>>>
>>>Thanks in advance for any help
>>>
>>>Arsene

> A most everyone else these days, I use the internet to complete
> financial and investment transactions on a regular basis. Thus far, I
> have limited myself to connecting to my cable modem strictly in a
> wired manner, and use software wirewalls in all PCs.
>
> I would like the freedom of being able to relocate my computer(s) as
> needed within my house, without being restricted by the current
> communications wiring layout, nor being the potential subject of a
> local wireless hack.
>
> Thus, while perhaps an Enterprise level security scheme might be
> overkill, I would like to avoid encryption schemes that are apparently
> extremely easy to break into, such as WAP. In other words, I would
> like the strongest possible wireless protection that can be
> implemented using run-of-the-mill wireless routers designed for the
> home environment, and running WinXP.
>
> Again, thanks for any help you may provide to help me achieve this
> goal.
>
> Arsene

James Egan

On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 00:11:09 GMT, Arsene <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>A most everyone else these days, I use the internet to complete
>financial and investment transactions on a regular basis. Thus far, I
>have limited myself to connecting to my cable modem strictly in a
>wired manner, and use software wirewalls in all PCs.

This stuff will already be solidly encrypted (ssl) by your browser so
won't be at risk to poor wireless encryption. More of a problem will
be passwords travelling in the open (eg email), unauthorised sharing
of your files and things like that.

Jim.

Barb Bowman

As others have stated, WPA2 is the strongest unbreakable security
available.

You can use a strong random key and XP has tools to help.
Background info at
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...ssecurity.mspx

WPA2 support for XP is here http://support.microsoft.com/?id=893357

Get yourself one of the newer routers that support Windows Connect
Now. I recommend the following

D-Link:
DGL 4300
DIR 655
DIR 660
DGL 4500

with one of these routers and a USB flash key, XP will setup your
network for you and save the settings using a strong passphrase to a
USB flash key. You plug this into any computer to set up the network
and save the flash key itself someplace safe. see
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u..._05june13.mspx

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP