Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Auto Shutdown for Security - Question

Auto Shutdown for Security - Question

Krot

I have a client who wants to know if there is a way for his browser to
shut down automatically if unattended for a specified amount of time.
Does anyone know if there is a Firefox extension that will do that? If
not, seems like a useful project. A warning box with optional sound
will inform about the number of seconds until shutdown. History is
erased at shutdown. For security, when Firefox is restarted, it
would go right to the home page with no option for restoring the
previous session.

Is there something that does this now?

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo

Krot wrote:
> I have a client who wants to know if there is a way for his browser to
> shut down automatically if unattended for a specified amount of time.
> Does anyone know if there is a Firefox extension that will do that? If
> not, seems like a useful project. A warning box with optional sound
> will inform about the number of seconds until shutdown. History is
> erased at shutdown. For security, when Firefox is restarted, it
> would go right to the home page with no option for restoring the
> previous session.
>
> Is there something that does this now?

not that I'm aware of. You might want to google for an
automatic shutdown program that will close other program. I
know there are lots to automatically shutdown windows, but a
program is another story. So hunt around.

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

Porter Smith

Krot <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:tbg5p3hrqaresss80dafu6fkgqaq6j3k62@
4ax.com:

> I have a client who wants to know if there is a way for his browser to
> shut down automatically if unattended for a specified amount of time.
> Does anyone know if there is a Firefox extension that will do that? If
> not, seems like a useful project. A warning box with optional sound
> will inform about the number of seconds until shutdown. History is
> erased at shutdown. For security, when Firefox is restarted, it
> would go right to the home page with no option for restoring the
> previous session.
>
> Is there something that does this now?

I have to ask what he hopes to accomplish with this. I assume he doesn't
want someone wandering past an unattended PC and using someone's session.
Wouldn't it be easier and safer to just mandate a screensaver that force
the user to enter his password o resume?

Krot

Porter. Here is the situation. An older man lives in a house where
other family members have free use of his computer. His computer
literacy and keyboard acuity is on the low side. For simplicity, the
computer is usually on. His need is to feel at ease about his
personal information, emails, web history, etc.

What I'm going to have him do is to use a different browser (FF) than
the one the family uses (IE). Then I'm going to set FF to not save
history and to clear private data on exit. We're not protecting
atomic secrets, we just don't want little Timmy reading grandpa's
emails (which he exchanges through his browser).

If he should forget to close Firefox, and he will, then it would be
nice if the browser would shut itself down. He can't be the only one
with this situation. Just wondered if there was an extension like
this already. If not, it would be a worthwhile project for a
developer.

Its options might be like this.

Use default settings or:
- Set time without keystrokes or mouse movements before browser
shutdown.
- Display a warning message and/or sound before shutdown.
- Clear private data or not

AutoCloseBrowser (or whatever name) would assure that a Firefox
restart does not allow the previous session to be restored.

Seems like it would be a useful extension for some people. I'd make
it myself, but I don't have the skills.

krot

On Sat, 19 Jan 2008 22:26:49 -0600, Porter Smith
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Krot <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:tbg5p3hrqaresss80dafu6fkgqaq6j3k62@
>4ax.com:
>
>> I have a client who wants to know if there is a way for his browser to
>> shut down automatically if unattended for a specified amount of time.
>> Does anyone know if there is a Firefox extension that will do that? If
>> not, seems like a useful project. A warning box with optional sound
>> will inform about the number of seconds until shutdown. History is
>> erased at shutdown. For security, when Firefox is restarted, it
>> would go right to the home page with no option for restoring the
>> previous session.
>>
>> Is there something that does this now?
>>

>I have to ask what he hopes to accomplish with this. I assume he doesn't
>want someone wandering past an unattended PC and using someone's session.
>Wouldn't it be easier and safer to just mandate a screensaver that force
>the user to enter his password o resume?

Ed Mullen

Krot wrote:
> Porter. Here is the situation. An older man lives in a house where
> other family members have free use of his computer. His computer
> literacy and keyboard acuity is on the low side. For simplicity, the
> computer is usually on. His need is to feel at ease about his
> personal information, emails, web history, etc.
>
> What I'm going to have him do is to use a different browser (FF) than
> the one the family uses (IE). Then I'm going to set FF to not save
> history and to clear private data on exit. We're not protecting
> atomic secrets, we just don't want little Timmy reading grandpa's
> emails (which he exchanges through his browser).

A better solution would be to create a separate user account in Windows
XP for him and password protect it.
--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

Krot

On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 12:42:02 -0500, Ed Mullen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>A better solution would be to create a separate user account in Windows
>XP for him and password protect it.

Thanks everyone for the alternative suggestions. They are good
solutions and I've use them with others. For this situation, though,
I'd rather not introduce a new account/password system that the whole
family would have to learn and tolerate. The most appropriate system
for this family is minimum complexity.

The extension I'm suggesting can be an additional tool for browser
users, not a replacement other security techniques. I don't see a
downside to its creation. A simple off timer.

krot