Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > I have wireless connection, but no Internet

I have wireless connection, but no Internet

Dave in Des Moines

Just installed a new wireless card on my son's Compaq desktop because in
moving the computer, he accidentally broke off the antenna on the old card.
We've never had problems with wireless connections with this computer in this
location. I'm using NetworkMagic for my networking software, just as before.

The wireless card seems to access the router fine, but when he tries to
access the Internet, he gets a message saying he's not connected to the
Internet. I have another laptop and desktop on the same network, and both of
them can access the Web just fine.

What can I check/correct to get him back onto the Internet? It's been more
than a week and we're both at the ends of our respective ropes.

Thanks.

Dave

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Can you ping a public ip like 4.2.2.1? If yes, can you ping yahoo.com? Or
this step by step troubleshooting may help.

How to troubleshoot internet access issuesNone of the networking computers
can access the Internet. ... Related Topics. Can’t access the Internet via
USB after enabling NIC for network ...
http://www.howtonetworking.com/Inter...netaccess0.htm

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"Dave in Des Moines" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Just installed a new wireless card on my son's Compaq desktop because in
> moving the computer, he accidentally broke off the antenna on the old
> card.
> We've never had problems with wireless connections with this computer in
> this
> location. I'm using NetworkMagic for my networking software, just as
> before.
>
> The wireless card seems to access the router fine, but when he tries to
> access the Internet, he gets a message saying he's not connected to the
> Internet. I have another laptop and desktop on the same network, and both
> of
> them can access the Web just fine.
>
> What can I check/correct to get him back onto the Internet? It's been more
> than a week and we're both at the ends of our respective ropes.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Dave

Dave in Des Moines

Thanks for your reply, Robert.

Pinging 4.2.2.1 gives me an "IE cannot display" page, then asks me if I want
to connect or stay offline..

Rolling over the little Dynex card antenna icon in the system tray shows
that I'm conected to my network and describes the signal strenght as "good."
It also shows me as "connected."

However, there's also a little computer icon in the tray that shows me with
"very good" signal strength, but shows a status of "limited or no
connectivity." Isn't this contradictory? When I try to repair the connection
using the link under the Support tab, I get a message saying it could not
disable the wirless network adapter.

Doesn't the two connection icons seem odd?

I've uninstalled (software through "Add/Remove Programs", and physically
removed) and reinstalled the card several times with no success.

I've tried tech support at Dynex, but they routed me off to Geek Squad, who
generously offered to fix the problem over the phone for a mere $99 plus tax.

Any thoughts?

"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Can you ping a public ip like 4.2.2.1? If yes, can you ping yahoo.com? Or
> this step by step troubleshooting may help.
>
> How to troubleshoot internet access issuesNone of the networking computers
> can access the Internet. ... Related Topics. Can’t access the Internet via
> USB after enabling NIC for network ...
> http://www.howtonetworking.com/Inter...netaccess0.htm
>

> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>

> "Dave in Des Moines" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Just installed a new wireless card on my son's Compaq desktop because in
> > moving the computer, he accidentally broke off the antenna on the old
> > card.
> > We've never had problems with wireless connections with this computer in
> > this
> > location. I'm using NetworkMagic for my networking software, just as
> > before.
> >
> > The wireless card seems to access the router fine, but when he tries to
> > access the Internet, he gets a message saying he's not connected to the
> > Internet. I have another laptop and desktop on the same network, and both
> > of
> > them can access the Web just fine.
> >
> > What can I check/correct to get him back onto the Internet? It's been more
> > than a week and we're both at the ends of our respective ropes.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Dave

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
Unfortunately Network Magic creates in part its own type of settings so it
is hard to provide a focused answer.
This pages might help in evaluating the status of the Wireless components
and may be find the wrong setting.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Dave in Des Moines" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Just installed a new wireless card on my son's Compaq desktop because in
> moving the computer, he accidentally broke off the antenna on the old
> card.
> We've never had problems with wireless connections with this computer in
> this
> location. I'm using NetworkMagic for my networking software, just as
> before.
>
> The wireless card seems to access the router fine, but when he tries to
> access the Internet, he gets a message saying he's not connected to the
> Internet. I have another laptop and desktop on the same network, and both
> of
> them can access the Web just fine.
>
> What can I check/correct to get him back onto the Internet? It's been more
> than a week and we're both at the ends of our respective ropes.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Dave

Jim

"Dave in Des Moines" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks for your reply, Robert.
>
> Pinging 4.2.2.1 gives me an "IE cannot display" page, then asks me if I
> want
> to connect or stay offline..
>
> Rolling over the little Dynex card antenna icon in the system tray shows
> that I'm conected to my network and describes the signal strenght as
> "good."
> It also shows me as "connected."
>
> However, there's also a little computer icon in the tray that shows me
> with
> "very good" signal strength, but shows a status of "limited or no
> connectivity." Isn't this contradictory? When I try to repair the
> connection
> using the link under the Support tab, I get a message saying it could not
> disable the wirless network adapter.

The signal strength as "good" means that the hardware is working.
The "no connectivity" means that the software is not.

> Doesn't the two connection icons seem odd?

No
You won't have reliable connectivity if the signal strength is weak. But,
you can also have
no connectivity if there is software problem somewhere.

> I've uninstalled (software through "Add/Remove Programs", and physically
> removed) and reinstalled the card several times with no success.

I would not expect success if you made no changes to the software settings.

> I've tried tech support at Dynex, but they routed me off to Geek Squad,
> who
> generously offered to fix the problem over the phone for a mere $99 plus
> tax.

Haven't we heard this type of story many times in the past?
Jim

> Any thoughts?
>
> "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> Can you ping a public ip like 4.2.2.1? If yes, can you ping yahoo.com? Or
>> this step by step troubleshooting may help.
>>
>> How to troubleshoot internet access issuesNone of the networking
>> computers
>> can access the Internet. ... Related Topics. Can't access the Internet
>> via
>> USB after enabling NIC for network ...
>> http://www.howtonetworking.com/Inter...netaccess0.htm
>>

>> --
>> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
>> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
>> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>>

>> "Dave in Des Moines" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Just installed a new wireless card on my son's Compaq desktop because
>> > in
>> > moving the computer, he accidentally broke off the antenna on the old
>> > card.
>> > We've never had problems with wireless connections with this computer
>> > in
>> > this
>> > location. I'm using NetworkMagic for my networking software, just as
>> > before.
>> >
>> > The wireless card seems to access the router fine, but when he tries to
>> > access the Internet, he gets a message saying he's not connected to the
>> > Internet. I have another laptop and desktop on the same network, and
>> > both
>> > of
>> > them can access the Web just fine.
>> >
>> > What can I check/correct to get him back onto the Internet? It's been
>> > more
>> > than a week and we're both at the ends of our respective ropes.
>> >
>> > Thanks.
>> >
>> > Dave

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

I think your NIC doesn't talk to the router. Posting back with the result of
ipconfig /all may help.

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> [...]

>> > moving the computer, he accidentally broke off the antenna on the old
>> > card.
>> > We've never had problems with wireless connections with this computer
>> > in
>> > this
>> > location. I'm using NetworkMagic for my networking software, just as
>> > before.
>> >
>> > The wireless card seems to access the router fine, but when he tries to
>> > access the Internet, he gets a message saying he's not connected to the
>> > Internet. I have another laptop and desktop on the same network, and
>> > both
>> > of
>> > them can access the Web just fine.
>> >
>> > What can I check/correct to get him back onto the Internet? It's been
>> > more
>> > than a week and we're both at the ends of our respective ropes.

Dave in Des Moines

I ran ipconfig / all, but it opens a DOS shell, runs, and closes so quickly,
I can't read it or copy it to paste.

"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> I think your NIC doesn't talk to the router. Posting back with the result of
> ipconfig /all may help.
>
> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>

> "Dave in Des Moines" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Thanks for your reply, Robert.
> >
> > Pinging 4.2.2.1 gives me an "IE cannot display" page, then asks me if I
> > want
> > to connect or stay offline..
> >
> > Rolling over the little Dynex card antenna icon in the system tray shows
> > that I'm conected to my network and describes the signal strenght as
> > "good."
> > It also shows me as "connected."
> >
> > However, there's also a little computer icon in the tray that shows me
> > with
> > "very good" signal strength, but shows a status of "limited or no
> > connectivity." Isn't this contradictory? When I try to repair the
> > connection
> > using the link under the Support tab, I get a message saying it could not
> > disable the wirless network adapter.
> >
> > Doesn't the two connection icons seem odd?
> >
> > I've uninstalled (software through "Add/Remove Programs", and physically
> > removed) and reinstalled the card several times with no success.
> >
> > I've tried tech support at Dynex, but they routed me off to Geek Squad,
> > who
> > generously offered to fix the problem over the phone for a mere $99 plus
> > tax.
> >
> > Any thoughts?
> >
> > "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:
> >
> >> Can you ping a public ip like 4.2.2.1? If yes, can you ping yahoo.com? Or
> >> this step by step troubleshooting may help.
> >>
> >> How to troubleshoot internet access issuesNone of the networking
> >> computers
> >> can access the Internet. ... Related Topics. Can’t access the Internet
> >> via
> >> USB after enabling NIC for network ...
> >> http://www.howtonetworking.com/Inter...netaccess0.htm
> >>

> >> --
> >> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> >> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> >> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
> >>

> >> "Dave in Des Moines" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> >> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Dave in Des Moines

Thanks, Jack. I've completely uninstalled NetworkMagic thinking that might be
part or all of the problem, but it makes no difference whether it's installed
or not.

"Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:

> Hi
> Unfortunately Network Magic creates in part its own type of settings so it
> is hard to provide a focused answer.
> This pages might help in evaluating the status of the Wireless components
> and may be find the wrong setting.
> My New Wireless does not work - http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html
> Wireless Basic Configuration - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Config.html
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>
> "Dave in Des Moines" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Just installed a new wireless card on my son's Compaq desktop because in
> > moving the computer, he accidentally broke off the antenna on the old
> > card.
> > We've never had problems with wireless connections with this computer in
> > this
> > location. I'm using NetworkMagic for my networking software, just as
> > before.
> >
> > The wireless card seems to access the router fine, but when he tries to
> > access the Internet, he gets a message saying he's not connected to the
> > Internet. I have another laptop and desktop on the same network, and both
> > of
> > them can access the Web just fine.
> >
> > What can I check/correct to get him back onto the Internet? It's been more
> > than a week and we're both at the ends of our respective ropes.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Dave

Barb Bowman

http://digitalmediaphile.wordpress.c...t-text-output/

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP

Dave in Des Moines

Thanks, Barb!

Here's the ipconfig /all text:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : COLBY
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 4:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-11-D8-5F-72-D0