Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > anyone watching streaming TV on laptop while traveling

anyone watching streaming TV on laptop while traveling

Bill

Whats the best way to go? I have an aircard from my AT&T
cell phone provider, and travel a lot. My signal anywhere
outside of souther california is G2...probably not fast
enough for streaming video, but in s. cal its always G3 and
I think that may be fast enough,...what is your experience?

Thanks,
Bill

astburyj

On Jan 18, 11:32*pm, Bill <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Whats the best way to go? *I have an aircard from my AT&T
> cell phone provider, and travel a lot. *My signal anywhere
> outside of souther california is G2...probably not fast
> enough for streaming video, but in s. cal its always G3 and
> I think that may be fast enough,...what is your experience?
>
> Thanks,
> Bill

Hi Bill,
Have a look at the Slingbox from Slingmedia.com. It gives you your own
TV on your laptop anywhere in the world and is truly amazing.
I am sitting in Barcelona airport watching and controlling my own TV
in my living room in the UK.
Good luck.

Bill

astburyj wrote:
> On Jan 18, 11:32 pm, Bill <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Whats the best way to go? I have an aircard from my AT&T
>> cell phone provider, and travel a lot. My signal anywhere
>> outside of souther california is G2...probably not fast
>> enough for streaming video, but in s. cal its always G3 and
>> I think that may be fast enough,...what is your experience?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Bill

> Hi Bill,
> Have a look at the Slingbox from Slingmedia.com. It gives you your own
> TV on your laptop anywhere in the world and is truly amazing.
> I am sitting in Barcelona airport watching and controlling my own TV
> in my living room in the UK.
> Good luck.

Hi! Actually, I was looking at this from purely a software
software/bandwidth point of view, but thanks, it's
interesting. It's all coming. Though I've found several
hyped and touted free software services, such as
graboid.com, I'm afraid that, even with their offerings, I'm
going to have to wait for bandwidth improvements from cell
phone providers in the rest of the country before this
becomes very functional for the way I want to use it.

olfart

news:4792795d$0$4312$(E-Mail Removed)...
> astburyj wrote:
>> On Jan 18, 11:32 pm, Bill <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> Whats the best way to go? I have an aircard from my AT&T
>>> cell phone provider, and travel a lot. My signal anywhere
>>> outside of souther california is G2...probably not fast
>>> enough for streaming video, but in s. cal its always G3 and
>>> I think that may be fast enough,...what is your experience?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Bill

>> Hi Bill,
>> Have a look at the Slingbox from Slingmedia.com. It gives you your own
>> TV on your laptop anywhere in the world and is truly amazing.
>> I am sitting in Barcelona airport watching and controlling my own TV
>> in my living room in the UK.
>> Good luck.

> Hi! Actually, I was looking at this from purely a software
> software/bandwidth point of view, but thanks, it's interesting. It's all
> coming. Though I've found several hyped and touted free software services,
> such as graboid.com, I'm afraid that, even with their offerings, I'm going
> to have to wait for bandwidth improvements from cell phone providers in
> the rest of the country before this becomes very functional for the way I
> want to use it.

Even better than Slingbox is HAVA which does everything Slingbox does plus
allows burning recordings to DVD. I use mine with their optional free HAVA
AutoRecord to schedule recording of programs in advance using the TitanTV
schedule, No DRM worries either. I haven't used Win Media Center in months.
And yes, you can view your TV on a remote computer anywhere.