Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Connecting 2 PCs to a monitor with 2 inputs (DVI and VGA)

Connecting 2 PCs to a monitor with 2 inputs (DVI and VGA)

Scott Steiner

Hi there,

my monitor(SyncMaster 940B) has both DVI and VGA input. Two computers
are connected to this monitor, one through DVI and the other through VGA.

Until now I just used one computer at a time, I turn on a PC and the
monitor automatically detects the incoming signal i.e. DVI or VGA.

Problem: I want to use both PCs at the same time and just switch from
one display to the other back and forth. One PC is on but one I turn the
other one on then nothing happens and I still just see the picture of
the first PC. I see no way of changing the detection to manual so that I
can explicitly choose either DVI from one PC or VGA from the other PC.

In the OSD of the monitor there is something called "Auto Source" which
can be set to either "Auto" or "Manual". However, setting this to
"Manual" doesn't change a thing and I'm wondering what to do.

Any help appreciated.

Fred

"Scott Steiner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:7f114$47910f15$54710882$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Hi there,
>
> my monitor(SyncMaster 940B) has both DVI and VGA input. Two computers are
> connected to this monitor, one through DVI and the other through VGA.
>
> Until now I just used one computer at a time, I turn on a PC and the
> monitor automatically detects the incoming signal i.e. DVI or VGA.
>
> Problem: I want to use both PCs at the same time and just switch from one
> display to the other back and forth. One PC is on but one I turn the other
> one on then nothing happens and I still just see the picture of the first
> PC. I see no way of changing the detection to manual so that I can
> explicitly choose either DVI from one PC or VGA from the other PC.
>
> In the OSD of the monitor there is something called "Auto Source" which
> can be set to either "Auto" or "Manual". However, setting this to "Manual"
> doesn't change a thing and I'm wondering what to do.
>
> Any help appreciated.

Is there a button on the monitor that looks like a rectangle (represention
of a monitor) with an arrow partway through it?
If there is then that is the source switch. Just press it to switch between
video sources.

Scott Steiner

Fred schrieb:
[...]
> Is there a button on the monitor that looks like a rectangle (represention
> of a monitor) with an arrow partway through it?
> If there is then that is the source switch. Just press it to switch between
> video sources.

Excellent! That was it, many thanks!

Car PCs, mini PCs run Linux and windowsXP Andy Computer Information 0 01-27-2006 02:14 AM
Car PCs, mini PCs run Linux and windowsXP Andy NZ Computing 0 01-26-2006 01:23 AM
Connecting Two PCs Using an USB-USB Cable Silverstrand Front Page News 0 11-16-2005 09:51 PM
connecting 2 pcs Rich Computer Support 3 07-18-2005 07:49 PM
FS: two PCs and a 15" monitor R-Slicks NZ Computing 2 08-05-2003 08:31 PM

Advertisments