Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > trouble starting computer

trouble starting computer

striker

First try to start cold computer, goes through everything normal, shows
starting windows, then no signal to monitor, restarts and ask's if I want to
start in safe mode. I start in safe mode, shutdown and restart then all is
fine. I'm suspecting something wrong with video card. What do you all think?
Windows XP, Radeon video card.

striker

This computer is over 3 years old and has been working fine till the other
day. No changes had been made to the computer. I'm wondering if updating the
drivers for video card would help but don't think so.

"striker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:479090eb$0$4976$(E-Mail Removed)...
> First try to start cold computer, goes through everything normal, shows
> starting windows, then no signal to monitor, restarts and ask's if I want
> to start in safe mode. I start in safe mode, shutdown and restart then all
> is fine. I'm suspecting something wrong with video card. What do you all
> think? Windows XP, Radeon video card.

Whiskers

On 2008-01-18, striker <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "striker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:479090eb$0$4976$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> First try to start cold computer, goes through everything normal, shows
>> starting windows, then no signal to monitor, restarts and ask's if I want
>> to start in safe mode. I start in safe mode, shutdown and restart then all
>> is fine. I'm suspecting something wrong with video card. What do you all
>> think? Windows XP, Radeon video card.

> This computer is over 3 years old and has been working fine till the other
> day. No changes had been made to the computer. I'm wondering if updating the
> drivers for video card would help but don't think so.

It would worth replacing the on-board battery that keeps the CMOS memory
'alive' for the BIOS; if that has gone flat, or is on its last legs, the
first attempt at booting the computer might be just enough to revive it and
get the machine to start normally at the next attempt. Once you've
eliminated that as a possible problem, start thinking about hardware
failure such as RAM or hard disc which work OK when warm but not from cold
- while you have the cabinet open, make sure the RAM and other cards and
leads for the disc drives are not loose.

'Earth' your hands before you touch any of the componments inside the
cabinet. Firmly grasping a bare metal part of the 'chassis' before doing
anything else seems to have worked for me so far, but there are 'proper'
earth straps that you can use to connect your hands to the chassis. Don't
have the machine connected to the mains while doing any of this!

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

striker

I can replace the cmos battery, done that before. My thinking is still with
the video card, the drivers are not loading at startup. How can I check
that?

"Whiskers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 2008-01-18, striker <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> "striker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:479090eb$0$4976$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> First try to start cold computer, goes through everything normal, shows
>>> starting windows, then no signal to monitor, restarts and ask's if I
>>> want
>>> to start in safe mode. I start in safe mode, shutdown and restart then
>>> all
>>> is fine. I'm suspecting something wrong with video card. What do you all
>>> think? Windows XP, Radeon video card.

>> This computer is over 3 years old and has been working fine till the
>> other
>> day. No changes had been made to the computer. I'm wondering if updating
>> the
>> drivers for video card would help but don't think so.

> It would worth replacing the on-board battery that keeps the CMOS memory
> 'alive' for the BIOS; if that has gone flat, or is on its last legs, the
> first attempt at booting the computer might be just enough to revive it
> and
> get the machine to start normally at the next attempt. Once you've
> eliminated that as a possible problem, start thinking about hardware
> failure such as RAM or hard disc which work OK when warm but not from cold
> - while you have the cabinet open, make sure the RAM and other cards and
> leads for the disc drives are not loose.
>
> 'Earth' your hands before you touch any of the componments inside the
> cabinet. Firmly grasping a bare metal part of the 'chassis' before doing
> anything else seems to have worked for me so far, but there are 'proper'
> earth straps that you can use to connect your hands to the chassis. Don't
> have the machine connected to the mains while doing any of this!
>
> --
> -- ^^^^^^^^^^
> -- Whiskers
> -- ~~~~~~~~~~

Whiskers

On 2008-01-18, striker <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I can replace the cmos battery, done that before. My thinking is still with
> the video card, the drivers are not loading at startup.

What would have changed to make that start happening? Why would 'safe
mode' work and normal mode then work on reboot if you haven't changed
anything? Think back to what changes were made just before this problem
started - eg installing or updating some other software? Windows Update?

> How can I check
> that?

[...]

That sounds like a question for someone familiar with whatever your
version of Windows is. Can you examine or change the order in which
different processes are started?

It sounds as though your video drivers are working as well as ever once
they get started, so installing new video drivers doesn't seem to be
called for. I still lean towards a possible hardware fault, although
Windows can be weird when you change anything.

If you have access to a bootable CD or DVD of 'trouble-shooting' software,
or a LiveCD Linux distro, it would be worth using that to see if the same
symptoms happen when the machine is cold, or if any hardware problems are
detected.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

bk

striker wrote:
> First try to start cold computer, goes through everything normal, shows
> starting windows, then no signal to monitor, restarts and ask's if I want to
> start in safe mode. I start in safe mode, shutdown and restart then all is
> fine. I'm suspecting something wrong with video card. What do you all think?
> Windows XP, Radeon video card.

Probably the graphics drivers... while in save mode, see if you can't
uninstall them. Use the Radeon uninstaller in the add or remove programs
section in the control panel. If not, right click on your 'my computer'
section and go to properties. Click on the Hardware tab. Then, click on
the button that says 'device manager.' Find your video card in this
list, and then right click it and choose 'uninstall.' Answer yes to
every question it asks, and then restart. Hopefully that will do the trick.

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

"striker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I can replace the cmos battery, done that before. My thinking is still with
>the video card, the drivers are not loading at startup. How can I check
>that?

Do you enter safe mode? Then the windows VGA video drivers have
loaded. Next time don't say yes to safe mode.

--

Nudists charged in sexual assault
of 12,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 boys

striker

That did the trick Whiskers, changed the battery and this morning it started
fine. Thanks for the help.

"Whiskers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 2008-01-18, striker <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> "striker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:479090eb$0$4976$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> First try to start cold computer, goes through everything normal, shows
>>> starting windows, then no signal to monitor, restarts and ask's if I
>>> want
>>> to start in safe mode. I start in safe mode, shutdown and restart then
>>> all
>>> is fine. I'm suspecting something wrong with video card. What do you all
>>> think? Windows XP, Radeon video card.

>> This computer is over 3 years old and has been working fine till the
>> other
>> day. No changes had been made to the computer. I'm wondering if updating
>> the
>> drivers for video card would help but don't think so.

> It would worth replacing the on-board battery that keeps the CMOS memory
> 'alive' for the BIOS; if that has gone flat, or is on its last legs, the
> first attempt at booting the computer might be just enough to revive it
> and
> get the machine to start normally at the next attempt. Once you've
> eliminated that as a possible problem, start thinking about hardware
> failure such as RAM or hard disc which work OK when warm but not from cold
> - while you have the cabinet open, make sure the RAM and other cards and
> leads for the disc drives are not loose.
>
> 'Earth' your hands before you touch any of the componments inside the
> cabinet. Firmly grasping a bare metal part of the 'chassis' before doing
> anything else seems to have worked for me so far, but there are 'proper'
> earth straps that you can use to connect your hands to the chassis. Don't
> have the machine connected to the mains while doing any of this!
>
> --
> -- ^^^^^^^^^^
> -- Whiskers

Whiskers

On 2008-01-19, striker <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> That did the trick Whiskers, changed the battery and this morning it started
> fine. Thanks for the help.

Glad it was cheap and easy )

--
-- Whiskers