Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > OpenSSH on Windows Syntax question.

OpenSSH on Windows Syntax question.

perr

Hi all,
This is my first posting and I have a newbie question please bear with
me. I have successfully installed OpenSSH(on my second domain
controller) and now I am trying to add a user to the passwd file. The
environment is a Windows 2003R2 domain with two domain controllers and
the user is a domain user. The network is working fine and the two
servers have no problems talking to each other.
The two problems I have are,
1. The user I am trying to add is a Windows domain user
2. The username has a space in between the first name and last name.
The syntax I used is as following from the command line
C:\Program Files\OpenSSH\bin>mkpasswd -d -u test user >> ..\etc\passwd

After a few seconds........ I get the below,

mkpasswd: [2453] Could not find domain controller for this domain.

I am pretty much aware that this is a syntax problem but I cant seem to
find any answers especially with regards to this on the net. Thanks in
advance

cheers

Ravin P

View this thread: http://www.wirelessforums.org/showthread.php?t=37034
http://www.wirelessforums.org

Todd H.

perr <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> Hi all,
> This is my first posting and I have a newbie question please bear with
> me. I have successfully installed OpenSSH(on my second domain
> controller) and now I am trying to add a user to the passwd file. The
> environment is a Windows 2003R2 domain with two domain controllers and
> the user is a domain user. The network is working fine and the two
> servers have no problems talking to each other.
> The two problems I have are,
> 1. The user I am trying to add is a Windows domain user
> 2. The username has a space in between the first name and last name.
> The syntax I used is as following from the command line
> C:\Program Files\OpenSSH\bin>mkpasswd -d -u test user >> ..\etc\passwd
>
> After a few seconds........ I get the below,
>
> mkpasswd: [2453] Could not find domain controller for this domain.
>
> I am pretty much aware that this is a syntax problem but I cant seem to
> find any answers especially with regards to this on the net. Thanks in
> advance

Hi Ravin,

To deal with the space (ugh) in the username, either wrap the argument
in double or single quotes "like this" or 'like this' or prepend a
backslash to the space to "escape" the space so the command processor
doesn't see it as an argument separator:
like\ this

This is not an ssh trick, it's a general command processor/shell
dealio.

There is an ssh newsgroup that'll be more focused to your concerns for
follow on questions, for what it's worth: comp.security.ssh

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/