Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Simple 64-bit vs 32-Bit

Simple 64-bit vs 32-Bit

NC Beach Bum

Hi - We are going to be moving to Exchange 2007. I have always worked with
32-bit so the 64-bit world is new to me. I have several operational type
questions related to the 64-bit world. The most important question - when
a server is running Windows 64-bit does that mean all software to be put on
that system must also be 64-bit as well? What about Win XP in 64bit?

Do you know of a link that explains this new 64-bit world for folks who are
new to it?

Thanks!

--
NC Beach Bum

Carlos

Hi,
64-bit OSs run 32-bit applications with no problems unless:
1.- They require a 32-bit driver
2.- The app installer is 16-bit
Carlos

"NC Beach Bum" wrote:

> Hi - We are going to be moving to Exchange 2007. I have always worked with
> 32-bit so the 64-bit world is new to me. I have several operational type
> questions related to the 64-bit world. The most important question - when
> a server is running Windows 64-bit does that mean all software to be put on
> that system must also be 64-bit as well? What about Win XP in 64bit?
>
> Do you know of a link that explains this new 64-bit world for folks who are
> new to it?
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> NC Beach Bum

Colin Barnhorst

Windows x64 versions all support running 32-bit software. However, all
drivers must be 64-bit even if the app is 32-bit. Make sure you can obtain
64-bit drivers for your present devices.

"NC Beach Bum" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi - We are going to be moving to Exchange 2007. I have always worked
> with
> 32-bit so the 64-bit world is new to me. I have several operational
> type
> questions related to the 64-bit world. The most important question -
> when
> a server is running Windows 64-bit does that mean all software to be put
> on
> that system must also be 64-bit as well? What about Win XP in 64bit?
>
> Do you know of a link that explains this new 64-bit world for folks who
> are
> new to it?
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> NC Beach Bum

Charlie Russel - MVP

There's a useful whitepaper on the Windows XP 64bit web site that I think
you'll find useful. It's about XP x64, not Server, but it answers many of
the questions you seem to have:
http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...ght_for_Me.doc

This one, written for Windows Server x64 is even more directly on target for
you:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...4benefits.mspx

(and yes, I wrote them both. )
--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

"NC Beach Bum" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi - We are going to be moving to Exchange 2007. I have always worked
> with
> 32-bit so the 64-bit world is new to me. I have several operational
> type
> questions related to the 64-bit world. The most important question -
> when
> a server is running Windows 64-bit does that mean all software to be put
> on
> that system must also be 64-bit as well? What about Win XP in 64bit?
>
> Do you know of a link that explains this new 64-bit world for folks who
> are
> new to it?
>
> Thanks!
>
> --