Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > The "Digital Photography Not Permitted On Aircraft..." thread

The "Digital Photography Not Permitted On Aircraft..." thread

Paul Bartram

Wow, when you view that in 'conversational' mode it just keeps going! Don't
think I've ever seen one go so long...

And are we any the wiser because of it?

Paul

Paul Heslop

Paul Bartram wrote:
Don't think I've ever seen one go so long... And are we any the wiser
because of it?

> Paul

As the actress said to the bishop.

--
Paul (We won't die of devotion)
Stop and Look

Podge

"Paul Heslop" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Paul Bartram wrote:
> Don't think I've ever seen one go so long... And are we any the wiser
> because of it?
>>
>> Paul

> As the actress said to the bishop.
>

> --
> Paul (We won't die of devotion)
> Stop and Look
> http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/

I can't speak for others, but as the initiator of that thread, I have
certainly learned a great deal from it. There are a lot more issues than
meet the eye when you ask questions about photography on airlines. Not the
least of which is the possibility that your camera might become a flying
missile if it parts company from you if you experience turbulence during
takeoffs and landings! But there is some good news, even though the airlines
won't let you use your camcorder or digital camera to take pics during
takeoffs or landings, Air New Zealand, at least, permits you to use a
portable shaver at any time during the flight. So if you must fiddle with
something during takeoffs and landings, you can have a shave.

http://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/trave...lt.htm#anytime

But couldn't a portable shaver also become a flying missile if there is
turbulence during any part of a flight? Well it seems that, at least Air NZ
has decided that a portable shaver's electronics won't interfere with
navigation systems. And some day, I hope they decide that digital cameras
and camcorders don't emit harmful radiation either. I don't think there have
been any documented instances yet when the use of digital cameras has been
found to cause harm to an aircraft's systems, but several posters to the
thread have pointed out that newer digital cameras can have wifi, GPS etc.
so everyone seems to be reconciled to the view that we should only take our
pics about 10 minutes after the flight has started, which means that some of
the best photographic opportunities will have been missed.

Anyway, I shouldn't repeat all the issues here, it's best to post your views
to the main thread so that everyone can see what you think.

Podge

acl

On Jan 19, 3:19 am, "Podge" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "Paul Heslop" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> > Paul Bartram wrote:
> > Don't think I've ever seen one go so long... And are we any the wiser
> > because of it?

> >> Paul

> > As the actress said to the bishop.

> > --
> > Paul (We won't die of devotion)
> > Stop and Look
> >http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/

> I can't speak for others, but as the initiator of that thread, I have
> certainly learned a great deal from it. There are a lot more issues than
> meet the eye when you ask questions about photography on airlines. Not the
> least of which is the possibility that your camera might become a flying
> missile if it parts company from you if you experience turbulence during
> takeoffs and landings! But there is some good news, even though the airlines
> won't let you use your camcorder or digital camera to take pics during
> takeoffs or landings, Air New Zealand, at least, permits you to use a
> portable shaver at any time during the flight. So if you must fiddle with
> something during takeoffs and landings, you can have a shave.
>
> http://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/trave...ectronicequipm...
>
> But couldn't a portable shaver also become a flying missile if there is
> turbulence during any part of a flight?

Hah, brilliant! I have noticed that many things related to commercial
flights (airports, airlines, at least some airplane toilets, the kits
they give you when they lose your luggage etc) seem to place curiously
high value on shaving. I mean, my beard grows so quickly you can
practically see it move, yet I've never felt the need to shave in an
airport, much less in flight (not to mention during takeoff or
landing!).

Now that I think about it, this is so bizarre and incongruous that I
wonder if there's some hidden message there just waiting to be
decrypted.

Podge

"acl" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Jan 19, 3:19 am, "Podge" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> "Paul Heslop" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> > Paul Bartram wrote:
>> > Don't think I've ever seen one go so long... And are we any the wiser
>> > because of it?

>> > As the actress said to the bishop.

>> > --
>> > Paul (We won't die of devotion)
>> > -------------------------------------------------------
>> > Stop and Look
>> >http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/

>> I can't speak for others, but as the initiator of that thread, I have
>> certainly learned a great deal from it. There are a lot more issues than
>> meet the eye when you ask questions about photography on airlines. Not
>> the
>> least of which is the possibility that your camera might become a flying
>> missile if it parts company from you if you experience turbulence during
>> takeoffs and landings! But there is some good news, even though the
>> airlines
>> won't let you use your camcorder or digital camera to take pics during
>> takeoffs or landings, Air New Zealand, at least, permits you to use a
>> portable shaver at any time during the flight. So if you must fiddle with
>> something during takeoffs and landings, you can have a shave.
>>
>> http://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/trave...ectronicequipm...
>>
>> But couldn't a portable shaver also become a flying missile if there is
>> turbulence during any part of a flight?

> Hah, brilliant! I have noticed that many things related to commercial
> flights (airports, airlines, at least some airplane toilets, the kits
> they give you when they lose your luggage etc) seem to place curiously
> high value on shaving. I mean, my beard grows so quickly you can
> practically see it move, yet I've never felt the need to shave in an
> airport, much less in flight (not to mention during takeoff or
> landing!).
>
> Now that I think about it, this is so bizarre and incongruous that I
> wonder if there's some hidden message there just waiting to be
> decrypted.

Here's some more inflight shaving news:

On the Cathay Pacific web site, it says that:

"Please note that personal electronic device cannot be plugged into the
aircraft's electrical power supply outlets.* This includes any type of
charging devices. An exception is made for portable shavers which may only
be used in the appropriate sockets in the lavatories."

http://www.cathaypacific.com/cpa/en_...ctronicdevices

Podge

Ilya Zakharevich

Podge
<(E-Mail Removed)>], who wrote in article <479a5d7a$(E-Mail Removed)>:
> On the Cathay Pacific web site, it says that:
>
> "Please note that personal electronic device cannot be plugged into the
> aircraft's electrical power supply outlets.* This includes any type of
> charging devices. An exception is made for portable shavers which may only
> be used in the appropriate sockets in the lavatories."
>
> http://www.cathaypacific.com/cpa/en_...ctronicdevices

AHA!!! So all you need is a portable shaver with a battery slot which
fits all the types of your rechargables!

Good to know,
Ilya

Ron Hunter

Podge wrote:

> "acl" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Jan 19, 3:19 am, "Podge" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> "Paul Heslop" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> I can't speak for others, but as the initiator of that thread, I have
>>> certainly learned a great deal from it. There are a lot more issues than
>>> meet the eye when you ask questions about photography on airlines.
>>> Not the
>>> least of which is the possibility that your camera might become a flying
>>> missile if it parts company from you if you experience turbulence during
>>> takeoffs and landings! But there is some good news, even though the
>>> airlines
>>> won't let you use your camcorder or digital camera to take pics during
>>> takeoffs or landings, Air New Zealand, at least, permits you to use a
>>> portable shaver at any time during the flight. So if you must fiddle
>>> with
>>> something during takeoffs and landings, you can have a shave.
>>>
>>> http://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/trave...ectronicequipm...
>>>
>>> But couldn't a portable shaver also become a flying missile if there is
>>> turbulence during any part of a flight?

>> Hah, brilliant! I have noticed that many things related to commercial
>> flights (airports, airlines, at least some airplane toilets, the kits
>> they give you when they lose your luggage etc) seem to place curiously
>> high value on shaving. I mean, my beard grows so quickly you can
>> practically see it move, yet I've never felt the need to shave in an
>> airport, much less in flight (not to mention during takeoff or
>> landing!).
>>
>> Now that I think about it, this is so bizarre and incongruous that I
>> wonder if there's some hidden message there just waiting to be
>> decrypted.

> Here's some more inflight shaving news:
>
> On the Cathay Pacific web site, it says that:
>
> "Please note that personal electronic device cannot be plugged into the
> aircraft's electrical power supply outlets.* This includes any type of
> charging devices. An exception is made for portable shavers which may
> only be used in the appropriate sockets in the lavatories."
>
> http://www.cathaypacific.com/cpa/en_...ctronicdevices
>
> Podge

One wonders why such outlets are provided....

Gene S. Berkowitz

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Podge wrote:
> >
> > "acl" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> >> Hah, brilliant! I have noticed that many things related to commercial
> >> flights (airports, airlines, at least some airplane toilets, the kits
> >> they give you when they lose your luggage etc) seem to place curiously
> >> high value on shaving. I mean, my beard grows so quickly you can
> >> practically see it move, yet I've never felt the need to shave in an
> >> airport, much less in flight (not to mention during takeoff or
> >> landing!).
> >>
> >> Now that I think about it, this is so bizarre and incongruous that I
> >> wonder if there's some hidden message there just waiting to be
> >> decrypted.

> > Here's some more inflight shaving news:
> >
> > On the Cathay Pacific web site, it says that:
> >
> > "Please note that personal electronic device cannot be plugged into the
> > aircraft's electrical power supply outlets.* This includes any type of
> > charging devices. An exception is made for portable shavers which may
> > only be used in the appropriate sockets in the lavatories."
> >
> > http://www.cathaypacific.com/cpa/en_...ctronicdevices
> >
> > Podge

> One wonders why such outlets are provided....

For the same reason that there are still ashtrays to be found, despite
the practically total ban on smoking aboard. They're a holdover, and
they'll disappear soon enough as fleets are updated.

--Gene

nospam

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Gene S.
Berkowitz <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> For the same reason that there are still ashtrays to be found, despite
> the practically total ban on smoking aboard. They're a holdover, and
> they'll disappear soon enough as fleets are updated.

i haven't seen an ashtray on a plane in *years*.

Gene S. Berkowitz

In article <270120081532416485%(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed)lid says...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Gene S.
> Berkowitz <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > For the same reason that there are still ashtrays to be found, despite
> > the practically total ban on smoking aboard. They're a holdover, and
> > they'll disappear soon enough as fleets are updated.

> i haven't seen an ashtray on a plane in *years*.

I flew SW a few months back; there was still an ashtray built into the
lavatory door. With a "No Smoking" sticker above it.

--Gene