Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > installing memory question

installing memory question

Tara Legale

I have an old Dell Dimension L466C with only 31MB memory. I want to hook
up DSL to it and it has to have 32MB (for heavens sake) to install the DSL
software.

Looking on Circuit City's website they have 256MB for cheap at the following
link:

http://www.circuitcity.com:80/ccd/pr...d=0&oid=173596

Can I plug this particular memory card into this Dell with no issues?

Neil Green

"Tara Legale" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:2bUjj.2373$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have an old Dell Dimension L466C with only 31MB
>memory. I want to hook up DSL to it and it has to
>have 32MB (for heavens sake) to install the DSL
>software.
>
> Looking on Circuit City's website they have 256MB
> for cheap at the following link:
>
> http://www.circuitcity.com:80/ccd/pr...d=0&oid=173596
>
> Can I plug this particular memory card into this
> Dell with no issues?

It seems that by memory you mean hard disk space as
that model Dell shipped with 64mb of RAM.
To install the software you require you will need to
delete some unwanted programs or files.
That aside, the PC is well and truly obsolete and you
would be better advised to purchase a later model used
PC running Windows XP than spending money on the Dell.
A PC about three years old can be sourced very cheaply
on Ebay.

Paul

Tara Legale wrote:
> I have an old Dell Dimension L466C with only 31MB memory. I want to hook
> up DSL to it and it has to have 32MB (for heavens sake) to install the DSL
> software.
>
> Looking on Circuit City's website they have 256MB for cheap at the following
> link:
>
> http://www.circuitcity.com:80/ccd/pr...d=0&oid=173596
>
> Can I plug this particular memory card into this Dell with no issues?

I have ADSL, and with mine there are two options.

1) Connect ADSL modem directly to the computer. Since the ADSL modem
"speaks" PPPOE, I must install the ISP software for that to work.
The ISP software converts PPPOE to conventional packets. PPP is point
to point protocol, and the ADSL modem is basically working like a
fancy dial-up modem, and providing a byte stream. The PPP protocol
parses the stream and makes packets out of it. Similar to some PPP
software you'd use with a dialup modem.

ADSL_modem ------> one-computer-with-crappy-ISP-software-installed

2) The second alternative, is to connect ADSL_modem to a router box.
(Some ADSL modems have a router in the same hardware box now.)
For example, I used to use a Linksys BEFSR41 router. That router
(and many others) support PPPOE protocol. Thus, the Linksys router
takes the place of the ISP software. I use a web browser to set up
the Linksys browser, and tell the Linksys to "connect". The Linksys
sends the userid and password, and does the PPPOE protocol. What
comes out of the router, is plain ordinary Ethernet packets. The
result is that any computer plugged into the router, doesn't have
to know that you're on a DSL modem.

ADSL_modem -----> router_with_PPPOE -----> any-old-computer without SW

Now, depending on the price of the router, you could either save money
or spend more, than your RAM upgrade idea. The Linksys was very expensive
when I bought it, but now that wired routers are yesterday's technology,
you can get much cheaper ones. I think the router I got to replace the
Linksys, was 1/10th the price. My second router is no longer being made.

You could visit Staples and see what they have laying around, and
maybe there is a nice wired router there. For example, I see this one
at Staples for about $50, and I actually had to download the manual
to find out for certain it had PPPOE. Neither the advert, nor the product
datasheet on Dlink, listed PPPOE. To be sure, I had to get the manual (8MB)

ftp://ftp.dlink.com/Gateway/ebr2310_...manual_200.zip

*******
For your proposed RAM upgrade, the Dell site doesn't have the usual
information for the L466C. One poster on the Dell community site,
mentioned the chipset is i810 from Intel. There is a picture
of the board here.

http://i9.ebayimg.com/01/i/08/83/a3/d5_1.JPG

The Intel chart (rightmost column), says i810 holds a max of 512MB
memory, in the form of two 256MB SDRAM DIMMs. The speed the memory
is running at, would be a function of the front side bus speed for
the processor.

http://support.intel.com/design/chip...t+hghlt_chart&

This is what the Crucial site shows for "Dimension L series". They
don't seem to break out the models any further than that, so presumably
all the L series had similar motherboards. The part number here would
reflect a solution they cooked up just for the Dell.

http://www.crucial.com/store/listpar...n%20L%20Series

A similar board from the same era, would be an Asus MEW-AM with i810.
If I look that one up on Crucial, the part numbers for the memory
are "open" (not Dell specific) part numbers. I believe I've used
the CAS2 memory on my 440BX board. The memory would be the "low density"
kind, with 16 chips. (High density 256MB SDRAM has 8 chips, and no
chips on the back side of the module.) Maybe the chipset could
actually use high density memory, but I wouldn't take a chance on it.
One way you'd know, is if the motherboard only detected 128MB.

http://www.crucial.com/store/listpar...x?model=MEW-AM

You'll notice on this page, that the MEW-AM runs SDRAM at PC66
or PC100, while the memory product Crucial is offering is
PC133. Apparently Crucial is confident enough that it is
a valid substitute, to list it.

http://www.crucial.com/store/mpartsp...73DF0BA5CA7304

In terms of pricing, the CAS2 and CAS3 memories have identical
pricing. CAS2 is faster than CAS3, which means the lower
latency memory is a "free" upgrade. (It might not make
any different to that computer, but I just like the
idea of getting a feature for free )

So $45 should fix it.

I was hoping the Circuit City reviewers would comment on the
number of chips on that module. But I didn't get lucky. I
would prefer to see 16 chips (8 on one side, 8 on the other),
as a positive indication the memory is low density and
more likely to be fully detected (all 256MB) when installed.
With the plastic packaging, it may be difficult to verify
that. (Following line, manually wrapped to suit my news server)

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Custo...op-Memory/sem/
rpsm/oid/173596/callingModule/9/pageno/2/sortby/1/order/D/rpem/ccd/ExpandedModule.do#custRatings

Paul

Tara Legale

"Neil Green" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
> It seems that by memory you mean hard disk space as that model Dell
> shipped with 64mb of RAM.
> To install the software you require you will need to delete some unwanted
> programs or files.

No, it has 31MB on it, seriously.... my DSL software told me that, and I
can see that by going to system information.

Also, the ONLY program on the entire computer is IE6. Everything else was
removed when it had problems and the operating system (Win9 was
reinstalled on it (along with the IE6). It has 90% resources free on it,
no files except ones that came with reinstalling Win98.

Neil Green

"Tara Legale" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:I8ckj.2426$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Neil Green" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
>> It seems that by memory you mean hard disk space as
>> that model Dell shipped with 64mb of RAM.
>> To install the software you require you will need
>> to delete some unwanted programs or files.

> No, it has 31MB on it, seriously.... my DSL
> software told me that, and I can see that by going
> to system information.
>
> Also, the ONLY program on the entire computer is
> IE6. Everything else was removed when it had
> problems and the operating system (Win9 was
> reinstalled on it (along with the IE6). It has 90%
> resources free on it, no files except ones that came
> with reinstalling Win98.

Something is reporting the RAM incorrectly or some
faulty RAM has been mapped out.
Either way the machine is a paper weight, and any cash
spent on it would be well and truly wasted.
I don't know where you are located but in Australia a
PIII 1Ghz with 512Mb of RAM, built in NIC and 10Gb
hard disk can be sourced for about $50 - 75AUD.
This would run Windows XP perfectly well, as opposed
to the Dell Celeron 466 that you have which would run
XP like a dog if at all.

dennis meissner

"Tara Legale" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:2bUjj.2373$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have an old Dell Dimension L466C with only 31MB memory. I want to hook
>up DSL to it and it has to have 32MB (for heavens sake) to install the DSL
>software.
>
> Looking on Circuit City's website they have 256MB for cheap at the
> following link:
>
> http://www.circuitcity.com:80/ccd/pr...d=0&oid=173596
>
> Can I plug this particular memory card into this Dell with no issues?

If the the system reporting 31mb and change? It could be that you do indeed
have 32mb. Alot of times it is because of the conversion between hex and
decimal values. ie 1024 is usually referred to as 1K (by nature of the
binary value)

Soooo I wouldn't get too hung up on the difference between 31mb (reported)
and the recommended 32mb. It probably meets the required minimum. Also
wouldn't advise putting any more money into this system. If it works...
great, but any more investment would be better spent going towards a new
system.

dennis

Ron

Tara use a little program called CPUID, it is free and
easy to find.
It will tell you exactly what the memory is as to buffered or registered or
ecc.
Once you know you can probably find someone who will give you a stick.
A lot of people have old sdram from ancient upgrades and dont know what to
do with it.
Ron

"Tara Legale" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:2bUjj.2373$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have an old Dell Dimension L466C with only 31MB memory. I want to hook
>up DSL to it and it has to have 32MB (for heavens sake) to install the DSL
>software.
>
> Looking on Circuit City's website they have 256MB for cheap at the
> following link:
>
> http://www.circuitcity.com:80/ccd/pr...d=0&oid=173596
>
> Can I plug this particular memory card into this Dell with no issues?

- Bobb -

Tara,
go to this website
http://www.crucial.com/
If you are ON that system, just click "Probe my system"
and it will tell you
1 what you have
2. what fits.
If not on that system.
They have drop down tables - model - type etc until shows all possible
options for you.
Thats where I get my memory - good prices, good quality.

"Tara Legale" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:I8ckj.2426$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Neil Green" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
>> It seems that by memory you mean hard disk space as that model Dell
>> shipped with 64mb of RAM.
>> To install the software you require you will need to delete some
>> unwanted programs or files.

> No, it has 31MB on it, seriously.... my DSL software told me that, and
> I can see that by going to system information.
>
> Also, the ONLY program on the entire computer is IE6. Everything else
> was removed when it had problems and the operating system (Win9 was
> reinstalled on it (along with the IE6). It has 90% resources free on
> it, no files except ones that came with reinstalling Win98.

Baron

Tara Legale wrote:

> I have an old Dell Dimension L466C with only 31MB memory. I want to
> hook up DSL to it and it has to have 32MB (for heavens sake) to
> install the DSL software.
>
> Looking on Circuit City's website they have 256MB for cheap at the
> following link:
>
> http://www.circuitcity.com:80/ccd/pr...d=0&oid=173596
>
> Can I plug this particular memory card into this Dell with no issues?

You don't need the DSL software if you use a router with an Ethernet
port on it. The router will need your ID and password to make the
connection to your ISP.
A router will just plug into the network card on the computer.
Don't waste your money buying ram.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.

- Bobb -

To check best pricing:
http://www.techbargains.com/catsearch.cfm
pick MEMORY

Make note of vendor shipping/handling - TOTAL cost.
Some have low prices + shipping .
Others free shipping etc

news:(E-Mail Removed). ..

installing memory SD Computer Support 8 09-23-2005 10:58 AM
installing memory Patt Computer Support 2 07-25-2005 07:13 PM
installing memory Purpledawn Computer Support 4 07-18-2004 07:00 PM
installing new notebook memory Jesse Hand Computer Support 11 06-03-2004 11:51 PM

Advertisments